ADVERTISEMENT

Nov 24 Update: The TOP 9 in the Rotation & The Starting 5 Appear Clear

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
NOV 24 UPDATE:

Lets face it. The starting 5 has been set since March.

1: JBO
2: CJF
3: Weezy
4: Connor
5: Garza

The next 4 appear to be:
6. Joe Toussaint
7. Jack Nunge (when he is back)
8. Patrick McCaffery
9. Keegan Murray (congrats, @PHawkKenyon !!!)

SOURCE:

ORIGINAL POST (MARCH 15, 2020)

Off the Bench:

6: JoeT
7: Tony Perkins/Ahron Ulis (one will redshirt?)
8: PMac
9: Nunge
10: Josh Ogundale
11. Pemsl (limited minutes)

Not sure where the Murray twins fall. Will they redshirt?

This is assuming, too, that Kriener & Evelyn don't get an extra year!

Last edited:
Do Luka, CJF, Weezy put their names in the draft? Would not surprise me if all three do.

Off the Bench:

I think Ogundele is your most likely redshirt, regardless of what he says. Unless Luka leaves.

Don't sleep on the Murray bothers, it appears that Keegan might have a slight advantage over Kris but both are older then the 3 other freshman that will be coming to Iowa, I expect both of them to see minutes this coming season. Iowa could always use a good shooter as a small forward.
Just think counting walk ons and scholarship players Iowa will have 7 freshman on the roster.....how many of them will stay at Iowa their whole career?

Both the Murrays are good shooters so it’d be pretty nice to be able to plug them into the four spot to space the floor.

Who cares who starts, will be interesting to see if the lineups in crunch time stay the same or change game by game.

The Big Ten will be as tough next season as it was this year if you look at what most teams have coming back. Those who think Iowa will waltz through the conference are in for a shock.

I don't think any Hawk fans think Iowa will waltz through the conference. As senior players leave, new highly highly recruited players fill the empty scholarships, the BIG will always be a difficult conference to negotiate.
The difference is Iowa will not be an unknown like they were at the beginning of the year and having the Big Ten player of the year and maybe the National player of the year, plus return 3 other double digit scorers including Iowa's all time 3 point shooter, I think that will put us right up there atop the conference with all the rest of the favorites. I like our chances.... .

1: JoeT/JoBo
2: CJF/CMac
4: Nunge/PMac
5: Garza/Nunge

Off the Bench:
10. Pemsl
11: K Murray :)
13: PerkyT

Redshirts
Ahron Ulis
Josh Ogundale

This gets Nunge enough playing time to determine if he will be strong enough and tough enough to battle inside in the B1G. The Murrays should have ample opportunities to show what they can do. And if Perkins shows it, he could take minutes away from the 1 - 3 positions. Otherwise he might end up redshirting as well.

Reactions: ICTrojans99
The Big Ten will be as tough next season as it was this year if you look at what most teams have coming back. Those who think Iowa will waltz through the conference are in for a shock.
Including NBA entrants, most teams are losing multiple starters. We only lose 2 solid bench players and add 2 former starters and 6 freshman. We should be predicted no worse than 2nd if everyone's healthy. I hope the B1G has fun defending The Dirty White Boys JB, CJF, JW, JN,LG

1: JoeT/JoBo
2: CJF/CMac
4: Nunge/PMac
5: Garza/Nunge

Off the Bench:
10. Pemsl
11: K Murray :)
13: PerkyT

Redshirts
Ahron Ulis
Josh Ogundale

This gets Nunge enough playing time to determine if he will be strong enough and tough enough to battle inside in the B1G. The Murrays should have ample opportunities to show what they can do. And if Perkins shows it, he could take minutes away from the 1 - 3 positions. Otherwise he might end up redshirting as well.

Ulis is probably ROFLOL at the idea that you think he's going to redshirt next year

I know you are teasing about a NC next year, unless you mean a New Coach.

giphy.gif

Joe T/Jordan
CJF/Jordan
Joe Dub/P Mac
C Mac/Cordell
55/Ogs (Nunge may be the guy but let's think young).

Jordan 3rd on team in scoring and 6th MoY in the conference. P Mac gives good minutes off the bench and Ogs is surprisingly good in the post.

If Ryan and Bakari get an extra season there will be no reason not to redshirt the entire freshman class. Whose minutes would they take?

Reactions: DC#5
Ulis is probably ROFLOL at the idea that you think he's going to redshirt next year
Barring injury, he probably will. He will be behind JoBo and JT at PG, and behind CJ, JoBo and possibly Perkins at SG next year. If McC goes with an 8-9 person rotation, Ulis won't see many minutes. A year will allow him to ease in to the speed of the college game, get stronger, and learn the offenses and defenses at Iowa. I know it really helped CJ so I hope the new kids see the benefits of redshirting and take it to heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: unclesammy
Do Luka, CJF, Weezy put their names in the draft? Would not surprise me if all three do.
There's a slightly less than zero percent chance CJF and Weiskamp try to turn pro next year.

I'm only slightly more concerned about Garza, which still has us hovering around zero percent chance..................

Bohannon
Connor
CJ
Wieskamp
Garza

Toussaint or Ulis
Nunge
Patrick

Hopefully thats all that plays regular minutes. Worst case is Fran goes back to playing 11 or 12 guys.

Reactions: nwhawkincr

Name anyone that thinks/said they will waltz through the conference

Bohannon
C.J.
Weezy
Conner
Garza

joe t and nunge first off the bench. Both have a chance to be 6th man. Nunge will play a kriener type role, when he was coming off the bench. You will see pmac and pemsl playing between 5-10 minutes a game. If one or the other can’t go, expect big things from a couple incoming freshman.

Said this in the Nunge thread but bears repeating here:

I too shy away from the idea of Nunge starting next year. But NOT because I don’t think he’d be effective starting. The 4G lineup chemistry has been so great that I wouldn’t want that to get messed up.

I even feel that perhaps JBo should come off the bench for the same reason. Does Iowa really need more O in the starting lineup? It does need D there and sophomore JoeT could help provide that. JBo coming off the bench could help alleviate those scoring droughts Iowa has. He’d still get his points. But the team would be more balanced.

To add to this, of course I’d like JBo in end if game situations, similar to Baer over Moss a couple years ago. And for those who say JBo as a senior should start, do you really think he’s going to choose self-interest over team interest? JBo?

Now Fran could throw all this out the window and say start the senior. But if you look at what this team needs going into next year, it’s starting defense and offensive depth, not the other way around.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but Iowa needs to be a top 50 defense if they want to be a sweet 16 caliber team. Not seeing it with that starting lineup. I really hope Fran shakes up the assistant coaching roster and puts a major emphasis on defense and rebounding .
There is a 0% chance Fran is going to shuffle his assistants. It is unlikely we will be a Top 50 defense next year but far stranger things are happening right now in our everyday lives so who knows?

Reactions: iahawks10
There is a 0% chance Fran is going to shuffle his assistants. It is unlikely we will be a Top 50 defense next year but far stranger things are happening right now in our everyday lives so who knows?
Speraw was an asst coach here 40 years ago. Maybe he wants to retire? Maybe a deeper bench will mean better rebounding late in the season.

We don't need a much larger bench. Keep the best guys on the floor the most time possible. Outside of someone behind Luka, there isn't any reason for anyone other than Jordan, P Mac and Cordell to be on the floor, assuming the same starting line up as this past season.

Before the BTT, I would have said there's a 50/50 chance of Luka leaving. There's not going to be much of anything he can do to make his stock any higher, and so most of the time you want to be a 21 year old 2nd round pick instead of a 22 year old second round pick.

But I think Luka (and Frank) had too much fun to see it end the way it did to not come back another year. Frank does very, very well financially, so it's not like there's a rush to get paid so he can take care of his family (I don't begrudge guys for doing that when they do). I still think he can be a role player for an NBA team like Frank Kaminsky has been. There's got to be a desire to play post-season tournaments, especially with this crew, and I hope this will lean him much more towards coming back.

Said this in the Nunge thread but bears repeating here:

I too shy away from the idea of Nunge starting next year. But NOT because I don’t think he’d be effective starting. The 4G lineup chemistry has been so great that I wouldn’t want that to get messed up.

I even feel that perhaps JBo should come off the bench for the same reason. Does Iowa really need more O in the starting lineup? It does need D there and sophomore JoeT could help provide that. JBo coming off the bench could help alleviate those scoring droughts Iowa has. He’d still get his points. But the team would be more balanced.

To add to this, of course I’d like JBo in end if game situations, similar to Baer over Moss a couple years ago. And for those who say JBo as a senior should start, do you really think he’s going to choose self-interest over team interest? JBo?

Now Fran could throw all this out the window and say start the senior. But if you look at what this team needs going into next year, it’s starting defense and offensive depth, not the other way around.
I'd say limiting the time joe/cmac play at the same time will help scoring droughts much more than jbo not starting.....

I think it could be better for the team for JBo to come off the bench, but I don’t see it happening.

This team will be very good at the FT line, especially if Garza can get back to around 80% like his sophomore season.

Off the Bench:

Do the twins have any inside game? I haven’t followed too closely but have seen a lot of perimeter highlights.

ADVERTISEMENT