ADVERTISEMENT

Starting O-Line Saturday?

Uwe.Blab

HR All-American
Dec 19, 2006
Is Colby moving to RT? I think the o-line will be the key to our season. Any insight on what it will look like and how much better it will be is appreciated. Please post your Iowa O-line info and opinions in this thread.

from what I understand... last year the OLine averaged 292 lbs
this year the OLine averges 305 lbs

the concern is .. there is still a great deal of inexperience.
the hope is, George Barnett is in his 2nd year... the boys are bigger.. and he's had more time to work with them all.

I'm optimistic that they will be dam good.
we will find out today the Depth Chart..
but it sounds to me like its going to be :
Richman Stephens Jones Jennings Colby

hopefully we have 8 guys ready to play

Reactions: Robotbear
Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be national championship-worthy!

I mean that's why we recruited them after all.................. :D

from what I understand... last year the OLine averaged 292 lbs
this year the OLine averges 305 lbs

the concern is .. there is still a great deal of inexperience.
the hope is, George Barnett is in his 2nd year... the boys are bigger.. and he's had more time to work with them all.

I'm optimistic that they will be dam good.
we will find out today the Depth Chart..
but it sounds to me like its going to be :
Richman Stephens Jones Jennings Colby

hopefully we have 8 guys ready to play
3 sophs and two RS FR. I knew they were going to be young but yeesh.

• Wow
Reactions: IAGuy and F5n5
Not sure if Richman will be back yet. If he is, I think it is
Richman
Elsbury
Jones
Colby
Plumb

If not, then
Plumb
Elsbury
Jones
Dunker
Colby

I think you will some rotation with a couple guys getting some guard reps.

Not sure if Richman will be back yet. If he is, I think it is
Richman
Elsbury
Jones
Colby
Plumb

If not, then
Plumb
Elsbury
Jones
Dunker
Colby

I think you will some rotation with a couple guys getting some guard reps.
If Richman is healthy, I think Plumb becomes swing OT who will provide relief on both sides. Colby stays at RT. Agree with your choices for inside players. Not sure where DeJong will fit in but think Stephens may be the swing OG and get playing time

Could be week 3 before we see a top 5 shake out. Dunker is the inside guy that is intriguing to me ... a RS FR that could turn in to a real road grader with his size and strength.

Reactions: F5n5
They better be much improved. Otherwise SP is going to be running for his life and we all know what happens next.

Predicting the starters is really a crapshoot right now. A lot of guys are dinged up and there are some 50/50 battles going on right now. Not to mention some guys are splitting time at multiple positions. I doubt the listed starters on the depth chart today will even be the same come Saturday. Even if they are there will be a lot of shuffling around.

Expect the line play to be better this year. There is more talent, higher upside talent, and more importantly there is more size. The staff have put an emphasis on power run blocking. The unit had a great offseason in the training room. Guys like Gennings Dunker really came out of nowhere during Fall camp because of it.

We've been hearing a lot about how deep the RB's are. How the coaches have 4 guys that can run both between the tackles and outside the tackles. Those backs have been successful because the OL has actually improved just a tick at driving their guys back. Combine that with the fact we have bigger backs that can bounce off contact and the result has been the runs have been more productive. We will have more 3rd and shorts this year because of it.

I think pass blocking will see its ups and downs again this year but I fully expect to see a much more improved run game. I think Iowa will have two backs that rush for 800-900yds and 1 that will have around 400-500yds. Combined 25 rushing TD's on the season including QB/WR runs.

ADVERTISEMENT