ADVERTISEMENT

Starting pitching candidates

Sep 28, 2017
I am very excited for the 2018 Iowa baseball season and can't wait for the schedule to come out. With 7 returning starters in the lineup and neustrom poised for a breakout season I think we will be fine offensively. Who are our top 3 pitchers going to be. I assume Daniels will be the closer. Since most series are 3 games long. The top 3 are crucial. I know we have that Judi all American. Will he be the ace? Will Kyle shimp get a chance to start? Allgyer looks like he'll be back. Could junkies be a two way player. McDonald or Ritter? Any newcomers. Who do you all think will be our top 3 starters and who do you expect in mid week games. Also who will be in the pen besides Daniels? Go hawks!

Reactions: 3boysmom
Newcomer Brady Schanuel (juco transfer from Parkland) will definitely be given the opportunity to be a weekend starter.

If Cole McDonald can replicate what he did in Taiwan, I'd think he'll be a contender as well. Obviously, the results won't be replicated, but if he can get outs and go long, I'd think he'd be in the running.

Ben Probst will be green, but his arm is electric and the reports are that his command has been good this fall.

I'm interested in hearing more about LHP Eric Jagers. Not sure where he projects. And another youngster, Jack Dreyer (LHP), I would think will be a starter, but I'd guess he's more likely to be a weekday starter as a true freshman.

Iowa will have a lot of interesting left-handed arms this year.

Reactions: terrehawk
Too early to tell, but if Allgeyer is healthy I would expect him to be either a frontline guy or a long reliever. I would lean toward weekender simply because of his strength and experience prior to getting injured. Kid had all the makings of a mound dog before going under the knife.

My understanding is that Allgeyer and Lieurance were both competing for starting roles before their injuries. I think Schanuel is an obvious choice for a spot in the rotation based on what we've seen in the summer.

Cole McDonald has got to be better. I was encouraged by what he did in Taiwan, we need him to be able to log some quality starts or get to that point.

I am excited to see what the other guys can do as well both who Iowa returns and the newcomers.

Have heard from a very reliable source that next week the starting pitchers are going to be
1. Allgyer
2. McDonald
3. Schanel

I hope that cole has improved

I really hope the showing in Taiwan has given McDonald confidence for quality outings. Ultimately it will be our weekend rotation that determines if we compete for the B1G and regionals or not.

I think Probst has the arm to be a weekend starter as well if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT