ADVERTISEMENT

Starting today I am boycotting any restaurant

Hate those too.

I like technological innovation as much as anyone, but QR codes are not making life easier for anyone.

attachment-Gene-Simmons-Hy-Vee.jpg

And then they have to throw out 500 menus if they're forced to raise the price of something. Or just not sell it at all. Or scratch it out with pen. Or whatever. It's a problem.
Or just do what my local Chipotle does and charge whatever they fvcking feel like charging.

A few weeks ago a cashier punched in my order and said “It’s $9.20.”

“Why are you charging me $9.20?”

“Because you bought a steak burrito.” (A little too sarcastic for my liking)

I then pointed to the giant ass menu board behind him that says steak burritos are $8.30. Dude just shrugged his shoulders as if to say “it is what it is.” So I handed him a $10 bill and walked out of Chipotle for the last time.

I get that prices are going up. I don’t mind paying $9.20 for a burrito if that’s what a burrito costs. But charge me what the sign says and don’t be a dick about it.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Is that true?

What I think we know is that the original belief that virus survival on surfaces posed a more dangerous vector than airborne virus was incorrect. But it is still the case that the virus can and does survive on surfaces for a while (depending on the surface). It's less of a risk than previously thought but it's a non-zero risk.

If you know of data showing it's a zero risk, I'd be interested.

If it's a risk you want to take, that's entirely up to you.

Personally, I still avoid restaurants.

I have gotten somewhat lax about spraying deliveries, though.

Jeebus, I had no idea you were still living in abject fear. Look, there is a non zero chance you will die driving to the park. There is a non zero chance a tree will fall on you while you are walking in the park. So do you avoid parks?

We’ve known for a long, long time that the risk of becoming infected with COVID from surface contact is negligible.

“Only a handful of studies have looked for viable virus outside the lab. Tal Brosh-Nissimov, who heads the infectious-diseases unit at the Assuta Ashdod University Hospital in Israel, and his colleagues swabbed personal items and furniture in hospital isolation units and rooms at a quarantine hotel. Half of the samples from two hospitals and more than one-third of samples from the quarantine hotel were positive for viral RNA. But none of the viral material was actually able to infect cells, the researchers reported7.”

What a weird hill to die on. Not surprising given you and your wife's response to COVID even early on. It's weird because you seem so level headed about other things and then just go scorched earth on this subject.

Well, the overreaction in the OP was primarily for humorous affect. But it annoying to me that some business are using COVID as an excuse to lower the customer experience. A year ago I stopped going to restaurants that still used plastic silverware. Because there were other options. Now I’m tired of using my phone for a menu.

I have wondered what they would do if some old couple comes in and says “we don’t have phones. Can we see a menu?”

Well, the overreaction in the OP was primarily for humorous affect. But it annoying to me that some business are using COVID as an excuse to lower the customer experience. A year ago I stopped going to restaurants that still used plastic silverware. Because there were other options. Now I’m tired of using my phone for a menu.

I have wondered what they would do if some old couple comes in and says “we don’t have phones. Can we see a menu?”
Most restaurants I’ve been to that have QR codes for menus also have signs saying they will provide a printed menu upon request.

That won’t give me a god damn menu. We’ve known for two years that COVID doesn’t spread on surfaces you irrational dumb phuques. I am done scanning QR code’s and scrolling through menus on my phone.
That’s the funny part, germs on menus. If you went back and looked at the kitchen you wouldn’t eat there anyway.

Is that true?

What I think we know is that the original belief that virus survival on surfaces posed a more dangerous vector than airborne virus was incorrect. But it is still the case that the virus can and does survive on surfaces for a while (depending on the surface). It's less of a risk than previously thought but it's a non-zero risk.

No one here is surprised your still living like this. When will you finally decide it’s safe for to come out? Is there a certain positivity or hospitalization rate you are waiting for?

Reactions: TylerJ76
That won’t give me a god damn menu. We’ve known for two years that COVID doesn’t spread on surfaces you irrational dumb phuques. I am done scanning QR code’s and scrolling through menus on my phone.
I’m not as bothered by this as you, but I agree, it’s just not the same squinting at my iPhone while I hold the phone two inches from my face.

I’ll say I don’t mind the QR code menu in most instances. Except if cell service is shit in the building.

Is that true?

This has to be a joke post right?

Reactions: artradley

We are boycotting restaurants due to their high prices. If they can't figure out a successful business model without over charging for a burger, then they deserve to go out of business.

• Haha
Reactions: Twoooooooo
Most restaurants I’ve been to that have QR codes for menus also have signs saying they will provide a printed menu upon request.

I’ve asked a couple of times, including last night, and they said they didn’t have any. Although last night they did say they were going back to traditional menus soon. Last night they had one QR code for drinks, and another QR for food. It’s actually kind of funny watching everyone furiously scrolling on their phones while the waitress waits. But, come on…

Reactions: HIWILLE

Agree about business reaction. Many stores kept fitting rooms closed way too long using covid as an excuse, and this seems like a similar situation to me. I do recall seeing prices crossed out and written in during the 1970s, but menus were always around because there was no e-option. I don't buy the idea that increasing prices are sufficient justification to not have them available.

Reactions: 24 so far
Or just do what my local Chipotle does and charge whatever they fvcking feel like charging.

A few weeks ago a cashier punched in my order and said “It’s $9.20.”

“Why are you charging me $9.20?”

“Because you bought a steak burrito.” (A little too sarcastic for my liking)

I then pointed to the giant ass menu board behind him that says steak burritos are $8.30. Dude just shrugged his shoulders as if to say “it is what it is.” So I handed him a $10 bill and walked out of Chipotle for the last time.

I get that prices are going up. I don’t mind paying $9.20 for a burrito if that’s what a burrito costs. But charge me what the sign says and don’t be a dick about it.

Does your state have no laws regarding truth in advertising or bait and switch pricing?

I've yet to go to a restaurant that won't give you a menu if you ask. Not everyone has a smart phone to scan a QR code. Also, if you have a smart phone, why is is so difficult to scan a code for the menu? I actually like it better than getting handed something that has a slim chance of being wiped off after the last slob had it.

Okay, boomer....

What restaurants arent giving out menus? I haven't been to one that doesn't, so, I am confused on this. Now saying that, I haven't dinned in at a restaurant since the NCAA Tourney. So have things changed?

Reactions: millah_22
Does your state have no laws regarding truth in advertising or bait and switch pricing?
No idea. If I got overcharged 50 bucks on a refrigerator or 300 bucks on a vehicle then I would look into that. It’s not worth my time to fight for 90 cents that I got overcharged on a burrito. It’s a whole lot easier to just not go back again.

ADVERTISEMENT