ADVERTISEMENT

State College Booing Spencer pre-match showed a total lack of class!

You’re certainly welcome, but man your post really

happy-days-the-fonz.gif
Well when I saw two Ted McGinleys like you and your slobber partner show up I knew drastic measures were needed.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Hello 1Hammers1: I am glad to respond to your comments and yes, I am using my name, because I will stand by what I am about to say and won’t hide behind a screen name to cast negative aspersions. First, no one from the Lee family has ever cried about the match you posted. I am extremely proud of how Spencer performed that day. I am also proud of the friendship that the two young men have developed after meeting twice in state finals and the fact that minutes after the match in question Spencer was telling Austin he would be a good fit at Iowa and two weeks later Spencer was in Austin's corner coaching him at Dapper Dan. It's really special, but someone from your jaded perspective would never understand, so enough on that front. It's far above your character and no amount of explaining would allow you to have any sense of comprehension. You can stick to your loathing or enmity approaches toward communication, which only speaks further to your inadequacies as a human being.

As far as the venue that day--I had a pretty good seat as well. I was in the first row and your recollection is clouded by disorientation, your desire to be a troll or you are ok with a misrepresentation of the facts. Not only did they boo and heckle Spencer they also chanted WE ARE, Penn State. After his loss that night, I left my wife to make my way up the steps to the concourse to walk around to the other side of the arena where he was and people in the crowd were shouting at me as I walked up the steps "take that to Iowa, FU and the Hawkeyes." I had a guy grab me by my arm laugh in an obnoxious manner to my face and say he should have chosen Penn State.

My wife was also heckled as she walked up the steps about 5 minutes after me—probably by many of the same folks and she heard more after she got to the concourse. I share this not to complain, but I won't allow the facts to be misrepresented. Hell, I even had a guy walk up to my table at the hotel the following morning, (where my wife and I were having breakfast with another coach) and make a smart-ass comment about Spencer picking Iowa and said he was glad he lost. Your point of no one caring was not our lived experience.

Iowabandwagon is correct. It was not a nice scene. It was also an obvious jab at his choice of Iowa over PSU. Your perspective of no one caring is total BS—I know. I lived in PA for 15 years. Coached our Schoolboy and Cadet National teams and our entire family was proud of being from PA. We loved our youth, schoolboy, cadet, and junior experience for Team PA. It was awesome. I truly believe we were the beneficiary of one of the strongest periods of PA wrestling.

The only part of the entire experience that I complained about after that evening was the fact that I felt others should respect how hard it was to decide and that everyone should have respected his decision—because it was his right to choose. What happened in that arena was not isolated either. So, am I complaining? No, not about the behavior that night, it’s human nature to cheer for the underdog and it’s also human nature to celebrate the upset. That’s sports. I love our sport and sports in general. My concern was entirely about the lack of respect for an athlete that made a tough choice. The poor behavior toward us as parents was not necessary. On that level, yes, I believe it was wrong.

One last point. If anyone knew Spencer was going to choose Iowa, then they knew more than we did as a family. I thought Penn State was leading the entire time until he made the decision and I believe that was the sentiment held more broadly. Again, this was our lived experience. We were genuinely surprised.

I also realize that the idiots that evening and in other situations after his decision was announced do not represent the majority. There were so many that were supportive and just awesome. It’s the same as with this and other forums. Some posters are simpletons, morons, nitwitted, and not the sharpest nor do they seem informed regarding the sport. They hide behind harsh vitriol and espouse critical sentiments while hiding behind screen names such as 1hammers1. I doubt they would say 25% as much if they shared their full names. Some are fans from other teams that want to incite and antagonize, and others are sharp-witted, educated on the sport and truly have a passion and I enjoy the banter and conversations that take place. The Hawkeyes have the best fan base and it's so fun to see how well we always travel. We love the passion.

Sorry for the long post, but I couldn't let the facts be so misrepresented regarding some of the comments made. I will now slide back into to my parental seat on the sidelines--where I belong.
I was there at the state tourny as well been going for over 30 yrs. I heard very few negative remarks mostly cheers for Austin for the upset. My friend and I follow HS and college wrestling along with other locals and not many figured he would go to PSU. Most Pa HS fans like seeing the few 4x champs and like most cheer for those who upset them. I’ve watched Ty moore, jeremy hunter, kolat and marstellar (didnt watch teasdale win all 4) win their 4 titles. Anyone of those that would have got upset at state tourny would have heard crowd cheer for the underdog. As far as fans acting like an a** it happens and never gonna change no matter what state what level.

I was there at the state tourny as well been going for over 30 yrs. I heard very few negative remarks mostly cheers for Austin for the upset. My friend and I follow HS and college wrestling along with other locals and not many figured he would go to PSU. Most Pa HS fans like seeing the few 4x champs and like most cheer for those who upset them. I’ve watched Ty moore, jeremy hunter, kolat and marstellar (didnt watch teasdale win all 4) win their 4 titles. Anyone of those that would have got upset at state tourny would have heard crowd cheer for the underdog. As far as fans acting like an a** it happens and never gonna change no matter what state what level.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat
Most venues when a guy comes into an arena with a strong history of success and it's the last time, he will ever wrestle in that venue the fans typically show their respect. Last year when Gable Stevenson came to Carver, the Iowa fans gave him a standing ovation at the end of his match. Iowa has a history of this type of class. I've never heard Carver boo someone during pre-match introductions. I've heard the boos when a guy showboats, puts his hand behind his ear after a win or acts like an idiot etc., but never pre match. I was shocked. I go back to an interview Spencer did recently when he said, the fans have been awesome and have been nice to him in arenas across the country. Telling him how much they have enjoyed watching him etc. I hope parents of future wrestlers see Friday night as I do. A total lack of respect and class and not something I would want my kid to be around. It was classless and a totally unnecessary act--pre-match and during the introductions. I have actually never seen or heard of a venue doing that in the past to anyone. I don't think Spencer has played a villain during his college years to earn that type of disdain. It tells me a lot about the current PSU fan base and it's not a good look!
But they were quiet after Spencer's match :)

You’ve been going to states for over 30 years so you’re either deaf or have selective hearing. I’ll excuse you if you’re deaf. Adults were there acting like children while dealing with 14-18 kids. It was disgusting. Larry is a better man than me. I’d have been locked up for what people were saying. You’re downplaying it because you’re a psu fan and pa high school wrestling fan. And in all likelihood, you were one of the puds taking joy out of Spencer’s defeat at the very least. If that’s what floats your boat, whatever. But let’s not come on here and lie. And basically call Larry Lee a liar. And I’m going to call you a liar twice on here…how in the actual **** did you and all of these buddies you and Johnstown keep mentioning figure he was not going to penn state? He literally almost committed there right before committing to iowa. Haha. I know a lot of pa guys are pathological liars but come on. Just stop.

It's silly to be mad about things like that lolol.
Is it? Legacy is silly? I don’t think so. Ask any okie st fan if all of their titles mean anything. Or go on your own site and all you’ll read about is the “dynasty” that psu currently has. Carl is the greatest 159-0 blah blah blah. It means something to fans. You don’t think Tom Brady wanted that undefeated season when he lost to the giants in the super bowl? I know dolphin fans who would still thank Eli Manning for beating them even though their undefeated season was in 1972. Silly to some I guess.

Is it? Legacy is silly? I don’t think so. Ask any okie st fan if all of their titles mean anything. Or go on your own site and all you’ll read about is the “dynasty” that psu currently has. Carl is the greatest 159-0 blah blah blah. It means something to fans. You don’t think Tom Brady wanted that undefeated season when he lost to the giants in the super bowl? I know dolphin fans who would still thank Eli Manning for beating them even though their undefeated season was in 1972. Silly to some I guess.
Imo they need to get a life. It’s a sports. Put it in perspective.

83% of the pie, actually. And I don’t know wtf this has to do with the discussion about people being pissed about Lee choosing Iowa over psu. If you’re saying psu didn’t need him to win, I beg to differ. He did win a team championship and should’ve had two. He also prevented (possibly) psu from having claims at the greatest team ever. And it quite possibly could’ve been had he gone there. So yeah, he cock blocked you guys on those two things at the very least. Be mad.
Cock blocked...LOL. Seems anathema to the intent of Mr. Lee's post...or am I inferring too much?

I dont understand what people don't understand about the booing Spencer.

he's the sports biggest star, wrestles for the 'enemy', jilted PSU for Iowa and is from PA.

it's sports. that's what people do.

Phillies fans are irrationally p*ssed off at Mike Trout for resigning with the Angels instead of coming back home.

Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

And other than Gable, who has Carver 'respected' ? It's notorious for booing. Universally considered the harshest crowd to visitors and that's a badge y'all usually wear with pride.
Bump after the booing at intros on Friday night. Absolutely shameful 🙄🤣

Bump after the booing at intros on Friday night. Absolutely shameful 🙄🤣
I guess you truly are as dumb as you come off as if you can’t see a difference in the way Lee carries himself compared to Starocci (since he’s the only one I heard get booed and it honestly wasn’t very loud). Show me one example of Lee being disrespectful to anyone besides the Ayala situation and that was a little big brother situation. Now on the flip side I can show you countless situations where Starocci comes off as a giant D bag to anyone and everyone.

Last edited:
I guess you truly are as dumb as you come off as if you can’t see a difference in the way Lee carries himself compared to Starocci (since he’s the only one I heard get booed and it honestly wasn’t very loud). Show me one example of Lee being disrespectful to anyone besides the Ayala situation and that was a little big brother situation. Now on the flip side I can show you countless situations where Starocci comes off as a giant D bag to anyone and everyone.
Now do Brooks who also got booed. I guess it was all the Muslims in the crowd still bent about his “false prophets” comments

Looks like we have a board cop.🤦🏻‍♂️

PSU fans booed and heckled Spencer mercilessly when he lost to Austin in the state finals with mono and a torn ACL. They booed him in his final return to State College. There’s an obvious pattern here that’s worth acknowledging. I know PSU and its fans love to promote their squeaky clean facade and that the truth is sometimes hard to face, but I see nothing wrong with getting some truth out there.
Did not. I was there were you, didn't think so. For your info since you are wrestling ignorant. AD is a kid Dlll and guess where States are held. Rite Dlll territory. People were cheering AD for his accomplishment. Spence lost so why the hell would they boo him. As I said I was there and you were not I'll believe what saw first hand vs what you have read on forums.

Did not. I was there were you, didn't think so. For your info since you are wrestling ignorant. AD is a kid Dlll and guess where States are held. Rite Dlll territory. People were cheering AD for his accomplishment. Spence lost so why the hell would they boo him. As I said I was there and you were not I'll believe what saw first hand vs what you have read on forums.
I was there. Had great seats in club section. All I heard was cheering for AD. How many times will this lie be repeated.

I was there. Had great seats in club section. All I heard was cheering for AD. How many times will this lie be repeated.
People were cheering for the victory. He was beat the year before by Spencer. He did an interview where he was asked if he would change weight class to avoid Spencer. He said no, he would work to beat him. Everyone thought no way. We cheered because he succeeded where everyone thought he would not. A great story. His dedication and attitude is why lots of Iowa fans say he is one of their all-time favorites. Watch the attached link, I did not hear any boos just cheers. It also talks about him being tech the year before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkgma
I was there as well. The place was thunderous with its applause for AD, I've never heard it so loud. Rightfully so, because of the points mentioned above.

There was, however, booing of Spencer. This only occurred in the 3rd period when Spencer was stalling his a** off both in wrestling action and refusing to return to center in a timely fashion while AD was mounting a furious comeback. It was booing that ANY wrestler would have received - in fact, if the thing was held in Carver they would have been booing in the 3rd period. Gable would have been calling for stalling on his own wrestler type of thing.

That was the extent of it and it was totally inline with the reception that any wrestler would have received. You're not getting a pass for that anytime or anywhere. WWMD doesn't know what the hell he is talking about and there was no booing anywhere in the arena besides that 3rd period. No reason to get butthurt about it and nobody was disrespected.

Go back and look at the video. It's online and anyone who actually was there knows the real deal. Must have sucked to be on the wrong side of it (Lee and his family), but the facts are the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT