ADVERTISEMENT

State continues to get sh**tier

Not hyperbole.

The drug will be denied to people who need it for anything else, because prescriptions DO NOT list the condition they are being prescribed for.

This has happened over and over in other states who ban these drugs. One angry ObGyn doc lambasted the pharmacy that refused to fulfill her patient's prescription with the wonderful line about how "she hasn't had a period since the Nixon administration", and told them to fill it or she was suing them, because her patient needed it for a surgical procedure to soften up the cervix that was happening the following week.

That's how these laws work: they are vague, and physicians and pharmacists always have to err on the side of caution or face legal repercussions, which means women are denied Standard of Care.
See my detailed analysis Joe. Which you have failed to provide.

Do not talk to me about the tools physicians have. I have full understanding let me assure you.

I'll summarize my prior post to keep it simple. You obviously require it.

@Joes Place
"AND, you're going to have a woman miscarrying who needs the drug for a required abortion to prevent her from worse health outcomes."

The code specifically states:
Abortion does not include medical care which has as its primary purpose the treatment of a serious physical condition requiring emergency medical treatment necessary to save the life of a mother.

@Joes Place
"That absolutely IS using the medication for an abortion, and a legal use, required for Standard of Care.
Miscarriages are COMMON, and drugs are one of the easy tools physicians have to properly terminate a dead-end pregnancy."

For the purposes of this chapter, “abortion” means the termination of a human pregnancy with the intent other than to produce a live birth or to remove a dead fetus.

Do not talk to me about the tools physicians have. I have full understanding let me assure you.

I'll summarize my prior post to keep it simple. You obviously require it.

@Joes Place
"AND, you're going to have a woman miscarrying who needs the drug for a required abortion to prevent her from worse health outcomes."

Abortion does not include medical care which has as its primary purpose the treatment of a serious physical condition requiring emergency medical treatment necessary to save the life of a mother.

@Joes Place
"That absolutely IS using the medication for an abortion, and a legal use, required for Standard of Care.
Miscarriages are COMMON, and drugs are one of the easy tools physicians have to properly terminate a dead-end pregnancy."

other than to produce a live birth or to remove a dead fetus.
Primary use. What about secondary use? That's seem open to banning.

I was born and raised in Iowa, and lived there 40+ years. We left that burgeoning Republican hellscape 4.5 years ago and haven’t looked back. I really miss what Iowa used to be, and absolutely hate what Iowa has become.
State of Iowa 44.5 years ago:

5d0b9a7dbb6b8.hires.jpg

State of Iowa 2023:

buffalo-snow-2-epa-gmh-221224_1671919074602_hpMain_16x9_384.jpg

Looks about the same.......blame it on the Republicans.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I don't think it'll sway anyone's decision in a large enough number to be noticeable. We will see. This state leans heavy R. I'm glad. A lot of good stuff happening here.

The country is 50/50. Like I said, this is as likely to help the state as it is to hurt it. IMO.
All it needs to do is sway a few decision makers of these fortune 500 companies in which case MANY will notice and the lost opportunity would be huge. I'm not sure if you noticed but Iowa went from 5 US representatives to 4 in the not too distant past, but keep living in your delusional right wing utopia

Primary use. What about secondary use? That's seem open to banning.
I get your point but provide examples of what you see as exceptions.

Basically this code is stating that if the abortion is required to save the life of the mother. Mifepristone's use in ectopics would be permitted, I believe, under this language.

All it needs to do is sway a few decision makers of these fortune 500 companies in which case MANY will notice and the lost opportunity would be huge. I'm not sure if you noticed but Iowa went from 5 US representatives to 4 in the not too distant past, but keep living in your delusional right wing utopia
Correlation is not causation as they say. And, wait a minute, isnt this law a proposal? What, you think that the Iowans that moved anticipated this change and left? Good grief.

No not really. The crappy thing is there are people like you that hate you fellow American over differences in thought.
Holy shit man, I know as a Con self awareness isn't a strong suit most likely and I know it's an ideology built on mind blowing hypocrisy and constant projection but if anyone should not be pointing fingers here it's the Trupublicans. JFC

I get your point but provide examples of what you see as exceptions.

Basically this code is stating that if the abortion is required to save the life of the mother. Mifepristone's use in ectopics would be permitted, I believe, under this language.
I'm no doctor. I haven't a clue. But given Kimmy's pushing of anti abortion propaganda clinics I have little trust she'll do the right thing here, either.

MOST miscarriages are NOT serious, until they are left untreated, which is what this law appears to REQUIRE until "emergency medical treatment [is ]necessary to save the life of a mother."

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT IN PRESCRIBING THE DRUG EARLY ON DURING MISCARRIAGES.

WHICH DOES NOT address miscarriage uses of the drug.

Which are COMMON.
Joe. I have already laid out that the code does not apply to dead fetuses. Which is why the drug is used on occasion. And the severely limited ways you attempt to define conditions you have only cursory knowledge of makes discussion with you difficult. That and your complete inability to understnad that your knowledge is limited or that you are wrong.

The condition you are referring to are, missed and incomplete miscarriages. And both of those are conditions with a DEAD FETUS.

It will when companies realize the political situation and high tech college grads don't want to raise their families in such a backwoods State.
Who are those Fortune 500 companies gonna hire...some high school grad or some dude that got his GED last week?
This is absolutely the truth. In 2011 I worked for a company in the Iowa City area which was migrating its ERP system to Microsoft Dynamics AX. Being a relatively new software the talent pool of programmers was rather limited and we couldn’t get a single one of them to move to Iowa in spite of extremely generous offers. A couple years later we ran into a similar problem with genomics researchers refusing to move to Iowa, and as a result decided to build our new R & D facility in the Bay Area rather than the IC area (at a much, much higher cost). This was all before Branstad and Reynolds wreaked havoc on water quality, public education, workers’ bargaining rights, women’s reproductive issues, etc.

You are absolutely in denial if you think the political climate of a state doesn’t have any bearing on the career decisions of young professionals. It’s great for the majority of voting Iowans that fewer and fewer “liberal f@gs” are choosing the state as their home, but like it or not a lot of those educated people are big earners and drivers of our future economy. The redneckization of Iowa means less opportunities for your children, and is essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face.

MOST miscarriages are NOT serious, until they are left untreated, which is what this law appears to REQUIRE until "emergency medical treatment [is ]necessary to save the life of a mother."

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT IN PRESCRIBING THE DRUG EARLY ON DURING MISCARRIAGES.
SMH. See my other post.

Dude you should not try to explain to me a condition I deal with almost every day. Seriously...I lecture on this topic. Stop.

Correlation is not causation as they say. And, wait a minute, isnt this law a proposal? What, you think that the Iowans that moved anticipated this change and left? Good grief.
People have been leaving cold areas for warmer areas in general and Iowa hasn't been bright red for very long at all so we shall see in time. Yes, Des Moines will keep growing as rural Iowa dies but most non Iowans think Iowa is a boring, laughable shithole. It has been a state over 175 years and has only managed to attract 3.1 million people.

The brain drain is very real and having to be neighbors with MAGA scum is a factor but they say ignorance is bliss.....enjoy your shitty state. If my family wasn't there and U of I wasn't my alma mater I would never consider going back for anything, and I have felt that way for 30 years

Joe. I have already laid out that the code does not apply to dead fetuses.
Not every miscarriage involves a "dead fetus"; generally a "terminal one".

The reason Ireland overturned their abortion bans was due to a "live" fetus which still had a heartbeat. The woman was denied an abortion until the heartbeat stopped; by that time, it was too late to save her.

You are on the wrong side of the issue here, because you are ignorant about all the possible needs/uses for these drugs, outside of "elective" abortions. And this law is simply too vague to encompass every medical need and reality. Some GOPers know this; they don't care.

Joe. I have already laid out that the code does not apply to dead fetuses.
AGAIN: miscarriages can involve "live fetuses" which are not viable.

And getting medical care (e.g. these drugs) early PREVENTS serious health issues, which can include damage to the woman's reproductive system and rendering her incapable of another pregnancy. The drugs can PREVENT this risk to her.

Herein lies the problem.

Women have to suffer UNTIL their life is in danger BEFORE they can get care.
And, inclusive in that suffering is the risk they may never be able to get pregnant again, due to denied Standard of Care.
1. Use of the drug in an ectopic would be permitted as failure to treat would lead to risk to the life of the mother.

2. Use in miscarriages is permitted as it doesn't apply to dead fetuses.

3. Morning after is permitted as it says it doesn't apply to use of medication before conception or prior to being able to confirm a pregnancy.

It's really that easy.

1. Use of the drug in an ectopic would be permitted as failure to treat would lead to risk to the life of the mother.

3. Morning after is permitted as it says it doesn't apply to use of medication before conception or prior to being able to confirm a pregnancy.

It's really that easy.
Easy is not banning any reproductive drugs.

Not how the law reads. "Live" fetuses, which are terminal when the woman's health (or reproductive health) CAN end up at risk would mean preventing therapy UNTIL that is the case.

Intentionally vague law is intentionally vague.

And this will also prevent med students at UIHC from learning to properly manage difficult pregnancies/miscarriages, because they will not be allowed to apply proper Standard of Care. Standard of Care is terminating a pregnancy BEFORE it becomes medically serious to the woman.

This is absolutely the truth. In 2011 I worked for a company in the Iowa City area which was migrating its ERP system to Microsoft Dynamics AX. Being a relatively new software the talent pool of programmers was rather limited and we couldn’t get a single one of them to move to Iowa in spite of extremely generous offers. A couple years later we ran into a similar problem with genomics researchers refusing to move to Iowa, and as a result decided to build our new R & D facility in the Bay Area rather than the IC area (at a much, much higher cost). This was all before Branstad and Reynolds wreaked havoc on water quality, public education, workers’ bargaining rights, women’s reproductive issues, etc.

You are absolutely in denial if you think the political climate of a state doesn’t have any bearing on the career decisions of young professionals. It’s great for the majority of voting Iowans that fewer and fewer “liberal f@gs” are choosing the state as their home, but like it or not a lot of those educated people are big earners and drivers of our future economy. The redneckization of Iowa means less opportunities for your children, and is essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face.

AGAIN: miscarriages can involve "live fetuses" which are not viable.

And getting medical care (e.g. these drugs) early PREVENTS serious health issues, which can include damage to the woman's reproductive system and rendering her incapable of another pregnancy. The drugs can PREVENT this risk to her.
Sure. Ill agree in principle. If a female is in the process of miscarrying a live fetus it won't be alive long. I have seen this occur real time. Fetus alive one minute, passage of products of conception the next. So this does happen but if only for a few moments. And mifepristone won't be necessary for those mere seconds the fetus is alive.

Once mifepristone is required to facilitate miscarriage completion, the fetus is dead. The live fetus scenario you construct and the need for mifepristone dont usually intersect. That is your error.

Agreed - the weather has always sucked. Now compare public education rankings from 1978 vs. 2023…
MAGA nuts just refuse to believe why young families don't want anything to do with the State of Iowa.

Another example is to look at this PARTIAL list of SEVERAL county seats in Iowa that play 8 man football...Northwood/Montezuma/Marengo/Sidney, etc...places where young people refuse to live. Schools are trash, teachers won't work there, and business won't relocate to these areas.

Listening to MAGAs pretend that Iowa will be red forever is pretty hilarious considering 45 pct of Iowans voted for Biden and the counties where the population centers are remain blue. Obama won Iowa by about 6 pct in 2012, Trump by 8 in 2016 so it's pretty clear that things can change pretty quickly. Even with Trump's two wins Iowa has gone blue in 6 of the last 9 presidential elections, but yeah....it's perma red now I guess

No doubt trumpism was the perfect scheme to exploit the racist fears and ignorance of the rural white population there but I hold out some hope the pendulum will swing back the other way in little ol Ioway

because they will not be allowed to apply proper Standard of Care. Standard of Care is terminating a pregnancy BEFORE it becomes medically serious to the woman.
The standard of care is local and dependent on exact circumstances not generalizations.

Sure. Ill agree in principle.

You're agreeing in FACT.

It's a terrible set of laws.

AND, how do they get enforced? Doc prescribes one of the drugs, and now that's "probable cause" to delve into a patient's medical records to "prove" it was legally prescribed? How's that work? Federal HIPAA laws would prevent access to medical records, and if records had to be turned over, how is personal privacy maintained?

Listening to MAGAs pretend that Iowa will be red forever is pretty hilarious considering 45 pct of Iowans voted for Biden and the counties where the population centers are remain blue. Obama won Iowa by about 6 pct in 2012, Trump by 8 in 2016 so it's pretty clear that things can change pretty quickly. No doubt trumpism was the perfect scheme to exploit the racist fears and ignorance of the rural white population there but I hold out some hope the pendulum will swing back the other way in little ol Ioway
You're WAY more optimistic than I am.

I was traveling last week from Ames to the Amanas. Driving from Belle Plaine to Marengo...there were five properties still displaying Trump flags and some guy was actually standing along the road in Marengo waving a flag at noon!!!!

Rural Iowa is a lost cause.

Google is proud to call Iowa one of our data center homes. In 2007, we announced plans to construct a data center complex in , Iowa. Then in 2012 and 2015, we announced expansions of our local data center facilities. Over time, we've invested $5 billion and have established a long-term commitment to the region and state.

Here’s an overview of the hyperscale development in Iowa.

Microsoft has built a major cloud cluster in West Des Moines, Iowa, where it is developing three large data center campuses. The company has bought land for two additional campuses, which could bring another $2 billion in investment atop the estimated $3 billion to $5 billion that Microsoft has spent on its Iowa infrastructure.

• The Meta campus in Altoona is now the largest Facebook campus in the world, and has undergone seven expansion phases. In December, Meta announced new capacity that will boost Altoona to more than 5 million square feet of data center space, pushing it past the company’s Prineville, Oregon campus (4.6 million square feet).

• Apple plans to purchase 2,000 acres of land in Waukee for a cloud campus to support its iTunes and iCloud services. The first phase of the project will include two data center facilities that are expected to run entirely on renewable energy. The project has been postponed several times since its announcement in 2017, and Apple ‘s most recent timeline doesn’t anticipate delivery until 2027.

Google is proud to call Iowa one of our data center homes. In 2007, we announced plans to construct a data center complex in , Iowa. Then in 2012 and 2015, we announced expansions of our local data center facilities. Over time, we've invested $5 billion and have established a long-term commitment to the region and state.

Here’s an overview of the hyperscale development in Iowa.

Microsoft has built a major cloud cluster in West Des Moines, Iowa, where it is developing three large data center campuses. The company has bought land for two additional campuses, which could bring another $2 billion in investment atop the estimated $3 billion to $5 billion that Microsoft has spent on its Iowa infrastructure.

• The Meta campus in Altoona is now the largest Facebook campus in the world, and has undergone seven expansion phases. In December, Meta announced new capacity that will boost Altoona to more than 5 million square feet of data center space, pushing it past the company’s Prineville, Oregon campus (4.6 million square feet).

• Apple plans to purchase 2,000 acres of land in Waukee for a cloud campus to support its iTunes and iCloud services. The first phase of the project will include two data center facilities that are expected to run entirely on renewable energy. The project has been postponed several times since its announcement in 2017, and Apple ‘s most recent timeline doesn’t anticipate delivery until 2027.
And how many people do these big data centers employ? Do they pay property taxes?

Reactions: hawkbirch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT