ADVERTISEMENT

Stay out of public places

based on what? It is the next effing flu, where the hell have you been. That doesn't make it the zombie apocalypse. It's not nearly as contagious as measles or HIV, but statements like this will certainly lead to more irrational responses
Covid-19 transmission is very similar to measles transmission.
Per teh Mayo Clinic regarding Covid-19 (https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/covid19): "COVID-19 is thought to spread similarly to influenza. That is, it spreads person to person through respiratory droplets from an infected person's cough or sneeze. These droplets can land on surfaces within about 6 feet and can spread to other people after they contact these infected surfaces with their hands and subsequently touch their face."
And regarding measles (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/measles/symptoms-causes/syc-20374857): "Measles is a highly contagious illness caused by a virus that replicates in the nose and throat of an infected child or adult. Then, when someone with measles coughs, sneezes or talks, infected droplets spray into the air, where other people can inhale them. The infected droplets may also land on a surface, where they remain active and contagious for several hours. You can contract the virus by putting your fingers in your mouth or nose or rubbing your eyes after touching the infected surface."

It's a hell of a lot more more contagious than HIV. Again. per the Mayo Clinic (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hiv-aids/symptoms-causes/syc-20373524) : "To become infected with HIV, infected blood, semen or vaginal secretions must enter your body."

If they asked for volunteers to get it and be quarantined and manage it to recover, I would sign up at this point. At least that way know had it and could help others without worrying about getting it or spreading it once recovered.

ICU rooms, doctors, nurses, ventilatiors...if they had triple what they normally need in idle slack, then no they would not have had to make life/death decisions. But the number of people going to the hospital totally overwhelmed their capacity and that is happening in Seattle now.

Imagine ICU rooms are like toilet paper at a Costco and you get the idea.

Only 3,000 ICU beds in the entire state of NY. Crazy. Would have guessed many more than that.

The media has pushed this virus to apocalyptic size. The reality is this virus will not come close to the annual death toll of the common flu. Wash your hands and turn off the talking heads on your tv. Go outside and enjoy some sunshine. Vitamin D does a lot of good.
Now that Trump is saying it publicly, I wonder if the polls of Republicans will change. Up until yesterday, a majority of republicans polled weren't too worried about Covid-19: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/03/11/in-america-even-pandemics-are-political

The pictures of places like COSTCO, Walmart, etc. are disgusting but not really surprising by a panicked society. I'm embarrassed by the behavior of so many.

You learn a lot about a person when he is desperate, in fear, and totally selfish. Not a person you respect or want as a friend.

Contrary to a lot of things which get predicted 20 years out, this is weeks or a month out so we are going to know soon. I hope to God for everyone that the more dire predictions have been overdone. I don't want to see anyone's family or friends taken by this virus.

Reactions: David1979
Really? What part of the healthcare system do you work in that you have so much knowledge? I’ve been in Emergency Medicine for 20+ years. Simple precautions is all that is needed.

Lol ok. I am not claiming to know anything about pandemics. I am listening to the professionals and the experts in this matter. Your are either just completely ignorant or for some reason think you know more than the experts. I am guessing maybe someone like Rush Limbaugh is where you get your information.

Reactions: pkongsh
People like you inflate the flu numbers. The deaths come from your group. Good job!
What, did we all of a sudden move to Russia or something? Everyones immune system is not the same my friend. How exactly am I inflating the numbers? I just turned 61 yrs old. I haven't had a sick day from work in over 30 years. Don't smoke, take drugs, no prescriptions or medications of any kind. (Not even the little blue pill)! I have seven grandkids who live within 20 minutes and see them all the time. Five are in elem and middle school, and wife works at a middle school so I'm exposed to every thing out there, and can't remember the last time I was sick. Are you saying I should be forced to be injected with the flu virus so that I don't get the virus even though I don't seem to need it? Now I'm being as careful as I can with this new deal, although I work in essential retail, and can't work from home. I'll monitor how this develops, and when they come up with something for this I'll make my own decision at that time.
Also consider that every year there are several strains of flu and the shot for one does nothing for the other strain, or do you think we should be forced against our will to take multiple shots every year regardless?

What, did we all of a sudden move to Russia or something? Everyones immune system is not the same my friend. How exactly am I inflating the numbers? I just turned 61 yrs old. I haven't had a sick day from work in over 30 years. Don't smoke, take drugs, no prescriptions or medications of any kind. (Not even the little blue pill)! I have seven grandkids who live within 20 minutes and see them all the time. Five are in elem and middle school, and wife works at a middle school so I'm exposed to every thing out there, and can't remember the last time I was sick. Are you saying I should be forced to be injected with the flu virus so that I don't get the virus even though I don't seem to need it? Now I'm being as careful as I can with this new deal, although I work in essential retail, and can't work from home. I'll monitor how this develops, and when they come up with something for this I'll make my own decision at that time.
Also consider that every year there are several strains of flu and the shot for one does nothing for the other strain, or do you think we should be forced against our will to take multiple shots every year regardless?
Are you saying that you haven't been sick for 30 years? Right.

Nothing bad enough to slow me down, and how does that make less sense then you telling someone they don't know anything about that "My group is the one the Deaths come from". Maybe my "group" is the one who doesn't come down with these bugs......

I don't believe it when people say that either. They confuse colds and flu, and yes some people's immune systems fight better than others. They also don't believe that although their symptoms are "mild" they can still transmit it to others who don't have strong immune systems. And the deal with vaccines are that they help to get some immunity so in total they don't kill as many people as they would if no one got a vaccine. I have said for the last month, these anti-flu vaxxers will not walk to get a shot, they will run to get one when it is available. Funny how that works.

Reactions: BBHawk
Nothing bad enough to slow me down, and how does that make less sense then you telling someone they don't know anything about that "My group is the one the Deaths come from". Maybe my "group" is the one who doesn't come down with these bugs......
Vaccinated people are 40 - 60% less likely per the CDC - not getting a flu shot, even if you don't die from it, doesn't mean you won't pass it on to someone who could.

I don't believe it when people say that either. They confuse colds and flu, and yes some people's immune systems fight better than others. They also don't believe that although their symptoms are "mild" they can still transmit it to others who don't have strong immune systems. And the deal with vaccines are that they help to get some immunity so in total they don't kill as many people as they would if no one got a vaccine. I have said for the last month, these anti-flu vaxxers will not walk to get a shot, they will run to get one when it is available. Funny how that works.
First off as I said I'll make an informed decision about this current situation when the time comes. Never felt the need to get a shot for the flu because I've not been concerned about dealing with it, and have never had any issues. So I assume your also in the camp that we must all be mandated by the government to get a flu shot for a flu thats been around for 100 years if we think we need to or not?

If 55,000 are dying then it's not working

Even when the experts matching the flu strain to the proper vaccine do a great job, the flu vaccine only reduces your risk of flu illness by 40-60%. That's the reality of it. Would you rather have a 0% reduction of risk? I think not.

Reactions: BBHawk
First off as I said I'll make an informed decision about this current situation when the time comes. Never felt the need to get a shot for the flu because I've not been concerned about dealing with it, and have never had any issues. So I assume your also in the camp that we must all be mandated by the government to get a flu shot for a flu thats been around for 100 years if we think we need to or not?
What about "And the deal with vaccines are that they help to get some immunity so in total they don't kill as many people as they would if no one got a vaccine." don't you understand? It's not about the government, it's not about you, it's about caring about others!

The media has pushed this virus to apocalyptic size. The reality is this virus will not come close to the annual death toll of the common flu. Wash your hands and turn off the talking heads on your tv. Go outside and enjoy some sunshine. Vitamin D does a lot of good.

I'll bet you any amount of money you're willing to risk that you're dead wrong, pardon the pun.

Reactions: pkongsh
Vacci have we gone nated people are 40 - 60% less likely per the CDC - not getting a flu shot, even if you don't die from it, doesn't mean you won't pass it on to someone who could.
Outstanding. How about we all do what we think is best for ourselves, or have we moved out of that country at some point?

Outstanding. How about we all do what we think is best for ourselves, or have we moved out of that country at some point?
Perfect. You are one selfish SOB. Not everything is about YOU. You do have family and friends, right? What if the guy down the street from you felt just the same way you did and he infected your family with something horrible? He was, in your words, "free to think what is best for [himself]". Oh, you forgot to add "without regard for the safety of others."

What about "And the deal with vaccines are that they help to get some immunity so in total they don't kill as many people as they would if no one got a vaccine." don't you understand? It's not about the government, it's not about you, it's about caring about others!

Vaccinated people are 40 - 60% less likely per the CDC - not getting a flu shot, even if you don't die from it, doesn't mean you won't pass it on to someone who could.
And it doesn't mean I will pass it on either. Christ, now your actually telling me that I need to take a shot or medication that I don't need so that it MAY help keep YOU from getting sick. Good luck with that......

And it doesn't mean I will pass it on either. Christ, now your actually telling me that I need to take a shot or medication that I don't need so that it MAY help keep YOU from getting sick. Good luck with that......
I really don't care what you think. It is pretty obvious that you are a self-absorbed prick who doesn't give a damn about anyone else. Ignore.

Perfect. You are one selfish SOB. Not everything is about YOU. You do have family and friends, right? What if the guy down the street from you felt just the same way you did and he infected your family with something horrible? He was, in your words, "free to think what is best for [himself]". Oh, you forgot to add "without regard for the safety of others."
And your another clown who resorts to name calling and accusing people he doesn't know of things because they don't agree with your opinion. Stuppendous.....

I really don't care what you think. It is pretty obvious that you are a self-absorbed prick who doesn't give a damn about anyone else. Ignore.
Outstanding! After all of this back in forth, we finally agreed on something, cause I couldn't care less what you think either.....

If the social distancing and quarantines work well, can't wait for all the morons to come out and say it was all an over reaction. Literally can't win with these corona truthers, they are smarter than the doctors.
Fox News viewers.

It's not unheard of. Ol' Doodle missed one day of school from kindergarten through graduation of high school...and has taken 4 sick days from work since 1992. Doodle's mom was an elementary school teacher and Mrs. D is an RN...so Doodle has spent a lifetime being exposed to every bug imaginable. Some people are just resilient/resistant to illness.

Of course having said this out loud....it's now a pretty good bet that Ol' Doodle will catch the COVIDS and drop dead next week.

It's not unheard of. Ol' Doodle missed one day of school from kindergarten through graduation of high school...and has taken 4 sick days from work since 1992. Doodle's mom was an elementary school teacher and Mrs. D is an RN...so Doodle has spent a lifetime being exposed to every bug imaginable. Some people are just resilient/resistant to illness.

Of course having said this out loud....it's now a pretty good bet that Ol' Doodle will catch the COVIDS and drop dead next week.
Missing days and not being sick are 2 different things. I have worked many days when all I could hear was my coworkers coughing and sneezing. They should have went home but they brought it with them to work to share with the rest of us.
o_O

Time has already spoken. Look what's happening around the world and how fast the virus is spreading (even with inadequate testing) in this country.

"The reality is this virus will not come close to the annual death toll of the common flu"
This is what I mostly was referring to.
The toll is not over with and only time will tell.

Lol ok. I am not claiming to know anything about pandemics. I am listening to the professionals and the experts in this matter. Your are either just completely ignorant or for some reason think you know more than the experts. I am guessing maybe someone like Rush Limbaugh is where you get your information.
Yeah, I'm not sure what OP considers "simple precautions." I work in the pharmacy department at UIHC and I can assure you that the majority of health care professionals I've had conversations with are very concerned about COVID-19. A long read, but well worth the time about the exponential growth potential of COVID-19. Should be eye opening for the non believers...
*edit, for whatever reason the link won't work so you'll have to google it yourself. Just search "The Sober Math Everyone Must Understand about the Pandemic"

Other posters have eluded to it, but this situation is different from the typical flu season in the sense that we don't have the beds/supplies to keep up with our current trajectory of confirmed/hospitalized cases. If we don't take serious and unprecedented steps to contain the virus we run a very serious risk of turning out like Italy.

Last edited:
Please do what the medical professionals, government, and media are urging to try to help our medical systems ensure that they do not become overwhelmed. This will allow people who need surgeries and emergency medical aid to get it immediately and ensure our healthcare workers can stay healthy enough to care for all of us. Think of children in the UI Children’s Hospital who need a surgery but their surgeon is sick or needs to delay surgery to focus on an influx of coronavirus sufferers. We can all do our part here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT