ADVERTISEMENT

Stereotypes of Iowa being too white with cornfields are the biggest obstacles in recruiting.

Habitat loss is a big part of it and pheasant success is so weather dependent in the late winter early spring time but I also think the coyote population has a big part in it too. Everyone should carry a scoped rifle and declare war on those mangy mongrels.

I know this is a popular belief but yotes kill far less pheasants than nest robbing racoons. Coyotes kill racoons. Want to REALLY help the pheasants? Shoot the racoons! But you're right about the habitat. Thanks Obama for the 17 million acres lost to the CRP program under your adminstration (the 1st administration to not GROW the program since Reagan)

I know this is a popular belief but yotes kill far less pheasants than nest robbing racoons. Coyotes kill racoons. Want to REALLY help the pheasants? Shoot the racoons! But you're right about the habitat. Thanks Obama for the 17 million acres lost to the CRP program under your adminstration (the 1st administration to not GROW the program since Reagan)
add opossums and skunks to the list... but its still mostly habitat loss. they need cover, plain and simple.

Id actually argue it wasn’t obama’s fault. The crop prices got extremely high while he was in office, so a lot of farmers that had their crp contracts ending didn’t renew because they thought they could make way more $ by growing a crop. Turns out it was a bad decision considering the last few years. Pheasant #’s in my area are back to being pretty good the last 5+yrs. Crop prices took a downturn, crp payments were still high so a bunch of guys put their rougher land back in grass. My brother, BIL and myself probably hunt on average 3 x’s a week during pheasant season, we’ve killed a lot of birds last 5 years. In fact id be pretty surprised if you could find many dogs that have had as many wild birds killed over them as ours :cool: and my dogs only 3 y/o and hunted 2 seasons :p

Id actually argue it wasn’t obama’s fault. The crop prices got extremely high while he was in office, so a lot of farmers that had their crp contracts ending didn’t renew because they thought they could make way more $ by growing a crop. Turns out it was a bad decision considering the last few years. Pheasant #’s in my area are back to being pretty good the last 5+yrs. Crop prices took a downturn, crp payments were still high so a bunch of guys put their rougher land back in grass. My brother, BIL and myself probably hunt on average 3 x’s a week during pheasant season, we’ve killed a lot of birds last 5 years. In fact id be pretty surprised if you could find many dogs that have had as many wild birds killed over them as ours :cool: and my dogs only 3 y/o and hunted 2 seasons :p

That's correct but you may be forgetting that not only were CRP contracts not renewed but the administration allowed many farmers out of their CRP contract early due the corn price skyrocketing.They also capped it 17 million acres. I think the last farm bill raised the cap to something like 23-24 million acres? Better but not the 35 million+ we had/ Happy hunting!

That's correct but you may be forgetting that not only were CRP contracts not renewed but the administration allowed many farmers out of their CRP contract early due the corn price skyrocketing.They also capped it 17 million acres. I think the last farm bill raised the cap to something like 23-24 million acres? Better but not the 35 million+ we had/ Happy hunting!
I’m sure you’re right. I didn’t pay much attention to the specifics, i just know the crop prices played a pretty big part. Pheasant hunting definitely isn’t like it used to be, go hunt any fence row or ditch and kill birds. Now you’ve gotta know certain people and get permission for good spots. We’re lucky in that regard, been hunting long enough we know a lot of the area guys and have had permission for years. The one thing i do like about the change is, it keeps all the outta staters away! There’s still some that come, but used to be you’d go to the gas station opening morning and every truck there was outta state license. Dealing with trespassers non-stop

I’m sure you’re right. I didn’t pay much attention to the specifics, i just know the crop prices played a pretty big part. Pheasant hunting definitely isn’t like it used to be, go hunt any fence row or ditch and kill birds. Now you’ve gotta know certain people and get permission for good spots. We’re lucky in that regard, been hunting long enough we know a lot of the area guys and have had permission for years. The one thing i do like about the change is, it keeps all the outta staters away! There’s still some that come, but used to be you’d go to the gas station opening morning and every truck there was outta state license. Dealing with trespassers non-stop

Hey! I'm one of those "out of staters"! But I grew up in Iowa pheasant hunting and know what you mean.License plates from every state imaginable when I was young. Went back this year to some private ground I had hunted for 30 years. The owners said I was the only one that ever asked to pheasant hunt. It was my secret little "honey hole" only to find it COMPLETELY plowed and the tree lined brushy fence rows completely bull dozed. I wanted to cry! But you're right in that no competition from other pheasant hunters is a plus.

Hey! I'm one of those "out of staters"! But I grew up in Iowa pheasant hunting and know what you mean.License plates from every state imaginable when I was young. Went back this year to some private ground I had hunted for 30 years. The owners said I was the only one that ever asked to pheasant hunt. It was my secret little "honey hole" only to find it COMPLETELY plowed and the tree lined brushy fence rows completely bull dozed. I wanted to cry! But you're right in that no competition from other pheasant hunters is a plus.
Wow, thats sucks. Must be a reason you were the only one askin permission ;)

Most of McCaffery’s big recruiting wins have been with white players; there’s room for improvement in attracting top Black players into the program. McCaffery says stereotypes of Iowa being too white with cornfields are the biggest obstacles in recruiting.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...m-george-floyd-basketball-program/3215865001/
ster·e·o·type
/ˈsterēəˌtīp/

noun
  1. 1.
    a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.
    "the stereotype of the woman as the caregiver"

It's not really a "stereotype" if it's spot on. Iowa is almost all-white and is mostly cornfields (or bean fields).
It does not seem to a negative issue in football. How many times have you read a recruit saying that same but saying they were pleasantly surprised that wrong. It might be a thought before hand but not an issue afterwards

It does not seem to a negative issue in football. How many times have you read a recruit saying that same but saying they were pleasantly surprised that wrong. It might be a thought before hand but not an issue afterwards
I am not so sure it doesn't effect football. On the FB forum, I think there was a link to big 10 teams and dropout rate, number of black kids, etc. I think Iowa had quite a bit fewer black players on the squad.

Jordan Oladokun and I think the OP is narrow minded and full of BS.
You don't like Iowa, because of cornfields? Then, why don't you buy some property in Downtown Minneapolis, to get that cosmo feeling? Hearing there's some real steals.
:rolleyes:
#DaHawks
Peaches and cream baby!!!!!

Damn low carb lifestyle!!!

corn-fields-of-georgia-usa.jpg

That is Georgia and their garbage corn......

Kansas seems to do fine with recruiting in a similar state.
Lawrence is what an hour from Kansas City (2,140,000)? Maybe an hour from Topeka (125,000). Couple of hours from Wichita (389,000).

How is this similar to Iowa City? 3 million people within a couple hours. Kansas City has more AA than all of Iowa...

Lawrence is what an hour from Kansas City (2,140,000)? Maybe an hour from Topeka (125,000). Couple of hours from Wichita (389,000).

How is this similar to Iowa City? 3 million people within a couple hours. Kansas City has more AA than all of Iowa...

Because we are talking about perception to recruits. Most recruits will look at Kansas the same way they look at Iowa if they are unfamiliar with the area.

Wow, thats sucks. Must be a reason you were the only one askin permission ;)

I ran into farmers asking/telling me they were being paid by the out of stater to hunt on their property.
No law against that but kinda pisses you off at first thought.
It's their property and they can do what ever they want.

How many of their starters the past decade were ks/mo kids?

Because we are talking about perception to recruits. Most recruits will look at Kansas the same way they look at Iowa if they are unfamiliar with the area.
I could see that from non Midwest recruits.

Fran was a teammate of Big Ten commish?
Interesting.
Fran should be positioned to recruit black players with his background and coaching staff. Clearly he is running into this anti Iowa bias and probably hurt by squeaky clean approach also.
I believe he is just not that good of a recruiter. Thankfully he has an eye for under recruited talent

ADVERTISEMENT