ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Alford's first game as Hawkeye head coach

drew_hawk

HR All-American
Jan 16, 2016
Anyone remember who we beat? And the #1 ranked team in the nation, none the less. What a win that was! I recall as a teenager being so stoked for the future as a gold-jacket adorned Steve Alford pumped his fist in the air after the horn sounded. Oh how the future seemed bright for the Iowa basketball program.

And it was all down hill from there...

Lets bury those demons tonight, beat the huskies again, and march on. Go Hawks!!

The 99-00 team was not very good. That was a big upset, but Iowa’s post play lacked. Joe Fermino got significant minutes and what was he 6’6?

No they were not, however the hope that this one win inspired in myself was that Alford was the savior coach that was going to lead us to the next level, a return Iowa basketball to glory my which my father had always spoke of. In hindsight, I think we all lament the premature departure of Dr. Tom, in leu of a charlatan whom left nothing more than shame and disgrace in his wake

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
If I remember correctly, UConn had some issues with the way Jaacks (now Jacob Crane, btw) played in that game.

We beat UConn in '95 when they were # 6 in the country. We lost in Dr. Tom's last game in the sweet 16 in '99 to the UConn team that had Hamilton and El Amin. So we are now 3 - 1 all time. Amin was still there in Alfords first year. We were short on big men but had Oliver, Griffin, Galloway, Luersman, Duez Henderson and Rod Thompson.

Iowa will not be great again unless we have a former Iowa player coach the team. Unfortunately there has been no coaching tree to establish this

I’d say the high point in SA’s Iowa career ended with a last second corner three from N’western St.

Reactions: yiana
Announcers were a little off saying that was the high point of Alford’s time in Iowa. I’d say the two BTT titles trumped that first night

I’d say the run at the beginning of the season right before Recker got hurt. They looked tough as hell.

When they went into Columbia and kicked the crap out of Top 5 Mizzu... that was pretty sweet.

I’d say the run at the beginning of the season right before Recker got hurt. They looked tough as hell.

Yes! We were tied for first in the conference at 7-2, I think. Then finished 8-10 or so, before rebounding to win four in four in Chicago

Reactions: ghostpony
Even better that it was a quick turnaround rematch after their questionable win in the Guardian Classic title game just a couple weeks earlier.

I don't remember that. I remember the close loss to Mizzu on questionable foul call late on Worley (imagine that)? But I thought that was a different season?

I don't remember that. I remember the close loss to Mizzu on questionable foul call late on Worley (imagine that)? But I thought that was a different season?

That was the same game with Worley, we lost on November 21st when they were ranked 5. We beat them on December 15 when they were ranked 2nd so I guess it was three weeks.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT