ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Mocco: Iowa Fans vs. Ok. State Fans "When You Win They Love You, When You lose They Hate You"

HR All-State
Sep 22, 2011
Iowa City

Sorry if already posted.
In Iowa fan's defense, those were dark days when Mocco was here, and Zalesky was trying to maintain a bar set so incredibly high, by his predecessor Dan Gable.

Reactions: dhm az
Not true at all. In 2006 when Mocco beat Matt Fields, I boo'd Steve as loud as I could when he did his little victory lap in Carver after his "dominating" 2-1 win. When he won that day, I hated him lol.

Yeah, I'm still bitter... ;)

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Grip220
I think he is full of it. I have never heard Iowa fans yell at an Iowa wrestler, "you suck". Never. Mocco also claims Iowa fans yelled at Coach Z at the meet, "you suck". Did any of you witness this during Mocco's time at Iowa? (I'm not talking about one of two times from some drunken idiot) I mean, this is a cold blooded charge Mocco is making against Iowa.

I think he is full of it. I have never heard Iowa fans yell at an Iowa wrestler, "you suck". Never. Mocco also claims Iowa fans yelled at Coach Z at the meet, "you suck". Did any of you witness this during Mocco's time at Iowa? (I'm not talking about one of two times from some drunken idiot) I mean, this is a cold blooded charge Mocco is making against Iowa.

Disagree on the “you suck” thing. A sober member of this board taunted Z at national duals in Ames. Pretty much disagree with all this. But a few bad apples shouldn’t spoil a bunch.

Disagree on the “you suck” thing. A sober member of this board taunted Z at national duals in Ames. Pretty much disagree with all this. But a few bad apples shouldn’t spoil a bunch.
Wasn’t that when Z was at Oregon State though?

I don't remember hearing that, but I wouldn't doubt it at all. There were some pretty dark days back then, mostly because the Gable years were still such a fresh memory. Some of Z's teams were pretty far from what we'd gotten used to. I tended to just sit back in my seat and shake my head and sigh a lot. But others were more prone anger.

Considering the situation Mocco had to deal with there and it was his connection to Brands that was why he was at Iowa, I gave him a break on defecting. After this clip, I have lost ALL respect for the boy.

He was not coaching Iowa then. Was not me who yelled fyi.

Mocco can lick a cactus. Once a Hawk, always a Hawk does not apply in this case.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Of course he was going to get jeered heavily...today, it would be like Spencer transferring to PSU. In 2005, Mocco's points would have put Iowa in 2nd instead of 6th. Same with 2006. Nobody was beating OSU but that was a big deal.

Can't really say about Iowa fans disparaging Z or wrestlers...I wasn't there. Haven't heard any of that since I've been going to duals...it does get like that on here after a tough loss so I am sure there are idiots that vocalize their frustration.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Of course he was going to get jeered heavily...today, it would be like Spencer transferring to PSU. In 2005, Mocco's points would have put Iowa in 2nd instead of 6th. Same with 2006. Nobody was beating OSU but that was a big deal.

Can't really say about Iowa fans disparaging Z or wrestlers...I wasn't there. Haven't heard any of that since I've been going to duals...it does get like that on here after a tough loss so I am sure there are idiots that vocalize their frustration.
I watched again. At first I thought he was just whining that Iowa fans were bashing him (which I would find hard to believe until he transferred, at which point I'd find it hard not to believe). He was saying fans were bashing Zalesky and wrestlers that were losing--which I can believe. It had a lot to do with Iowa fans having very high expectations of success that were not being met by Z and most wrestlers on the team. Iowa takes wrestling very seriously, and that's what I love about it. I took it as a FU by Mocco, but now I don't think so. And in any case, who cares what Mocco says?

I was in the stands for the Zalesky era, about 6 rows up from the bench. I recall a lot of frustration among the fans but at least in our part of the arena — and we were right behind the bench — nobody said anything derogatory to our coaches or wrestlers that I ever heard. Sure, there was frustration — we weren’t seeing much of the Iowa style in those days — but there was always respect.

That’s not to say there weren’t a few idiots out of 10,000-15,000 fans. I suspect there were. But Mocco is generalizing and mischaracterizing Iowa fans. He’s WAY off base generalizing like this.

I do think he did a clumsy job of stating a general truth — that Iowa fans are more passionate and supportive (not to mention more numerous) than Okie State fans. I’d agree with this. Basically, if you wrestle for Iowa, you’re a rock star; if you wrestle for Okie State they’ll give you a pat on the back.

Also keep in mind that Mocco is basing his opinion on events from about 15 years ago. Since then here has been a rebirth of sorts of the Iowa fan base. About 5 years ago, fans started pulling together with each other and with the coaches to put the Hawks back on top. In the process, the relationship between fans and the staff and wrestlers has changed. Iowa fans have always been extremely loyal and supportive despite Mocco’s goofy and inaccurate generalization, but they’ve become even more so since about 2015.

The Iowa wrestling community is now more tightly knit than I’ve ever seen it, dating back to 1973. It has always been a special place to wrestle since Kurdelmeier took over, but now it’s basically a wrestler’s dream where fan support is concerned. Throw in the best facility in the nation and it’s even better still.

That story about Iowa fans and Iowans in general is 100% opposite of other stories that he had told previously. In fact, he told me one of the reasons he came to Iowa was because of how nice Iowans were- it really made an impression on him compared to East Coast hospitality that he was used to.

Gripps mww220, :) = I'm so clever, got him or = I can say just kidding. make a stance! is Mocco tuff or not.

I was in the stands for the Zalesky era, about 6 rows up from the bench. I recall a lot of frustration among the fans but at least in our part of the arena — and we were right behind the bench — nobody said anything derogatory to our coaches or wrestlers that I ever heard. Sure, there was frustration — we weren’t seeing much of the Iowa style in those days — but there was always respect.

That’s not to say there weren’t a few idiots out of 10,000-15,000 fans. I suspect there were. But Mocco is generalizing and mischaracterizing Iowa fans. He’s WAY off base generalizing like this.

I do think he did a clumsy job of stating a general truth — that Iowa fans are more passionate and supportive (not to mention more numerous) than Okie State fans. I’d agree with this. Basically, if you wrestle for Iowa, you’re a rock star; if you wrestle for Okie State they’ll give you a pat on the back.

Also keep in mind that Mocco is basing his opinion on events from about 15 years ago. Since then here has been a rebirth of sorts of the Iowa fan base. About 5 years ago, fans started pulling together with each other and with the coaches to put the Hawks back on top. In the process, the relationship between fans and the staff and wrestlers has changed. Iowa fans have always been extremely loyal and supportive despite Mocco’s goofy and inaccurate generalization, but they’ve become even more so since about 2015.

The Iowa wrestling community is now more tightly knit than I’ve ever seen it, dating back to 1973. It has always been a special place to wrestle since Kurdelmeier took over, but now it’s basically a wrestler’s dream where fan support is concerned. Throw in the best facility in the nation and it’s even better still.

I guess there is actually a sensitive East Coaster after all. Surprised he'd bat an eye at any of what he accuses Iowa Fans of coming from NJ.

I painted houses in the summer of late HS and College years. Always had some sort of heap "paint truck", that I'd drive around in during the school year too. Soph year as I was coming to school the damn thing got stuck right in the middle of an intersection. Took me 15 minutes to get it going. In NY/NJ, every person would have bitched me out to no end. In Iowa, every single person asked if I needed help. I call BS on his characterization of Iowa fans

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT