ADVERTISEMENT

Sticker shock: Why are glasses so expensive?

ChrisVarick

HB Heisman
Dec 30, 2012
I came across the video on youtube. I wasn't aware until now that one Italian company basically has a monopoly over eye wear. This video is a really interesting short watch.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
Walmart and Sams Club have the best prices by far, hate to say; I forget how they got into the mix where their prices ended up so competitive and so good; I remember seeing this 60 Minutes piece

Its just a reminder that competition is a great thing; I wonder why others haven't gotten into the glasses market; think of what it costs to make a pair of glasses and then you charge $400 plus for them???

Walmart and Sams Club have the best prices by far, hate to say; I forget how they got into the mix where their prices ended up so competitive and so good; I remember seeing this 60 Minutes piece

Its just a reminder that competition is a great thing; I wonder why others haven't gotten into the glasses market; think of what it costs to make a pair of glasses and then you charge $400 plus for them???
Wife used to run the vision center for walmart back in Iowa. They are the best value by far.

Saw the story on 60 minutes a year or so ago on the eye-glasses monopoly. Thought about that after going to optometrist last week. After exam, ordered a new pair of eye-glasses, prescription shades. Bill came to $1,899 before insurance.

Unbelievable.

Just trying to be civil and respectful.

BTW, pic of Walmart Vision Center-running wife?
No pic

And I'm aware of what you are insinuating by your "lol, no comment". But believe me, she has worked her way up the ladder at Wal mart and makes a lot more than you probably think. Plus she has amazing insurance/benefits.

But believe me, she has worked her way up the ladder at Wal mart and makes a lot more than you probably think. Plus she has amazing insurance/benefits.

DUDE! I'm the uber-capitalist on this board, remember? Walmart is a good employer! I am in the minority on this issue.

No pic

And I'm aware of what you are insinuating by your "lol, no comment". But believe me, she has worked her way up the ladder at Wal mart and makes a lot more than you probably think. Plus she has amazing insurance/benefits.

I'm sure she is and then some. Just about every spouse re: their spouse at ther job/position is cleaning up and getting after it.

I've also never met a person whose former sig wasn't a giant loser.

I've worn glasses since I was in the 3rd grade so I've known about this for a while.

I've heard you can save money by ordering online but I've never tried it.

I came across the video on youtube. I wasn't aware until now that one Italian company basically has a monopoly over eye wear. This video is a really interesting short watch.

I got a new pair this week. With a 10% discount, it's $648. Wholly shit. Over the years I've tried a lot of the discount places, and Sears, and some others; almost always disappointing results. I finally threw up my hands and decided to buy them from the place associated with my eye doctor's practice -- knowing they would be much more expensive. I'm not sorry I did.

Not saying this is the way for everybody. For many years, I bought from discount places and the results were entirely acceptable. But that changed for me about five years ago.

Hate to burst your bubble Chris...."60 Minutes" did a feature on this 5 years ago or so...it is some Italian dude and he has the market pretty much "locked" .....

I got a new pair this week. With a 10% discount, it's $648. Wholly shit. Over the years I've tried a lot of the discount places, and Sears, and some others; almost always disappointing results. I finally threw up my hands and decided to buy them from the place associated with my eye doctor's practice -- knowing they would be much more expensive. I'm not sorry I did.

Not saying this is the way for everybody. For many years, I bought from discount places and the results were entirely acceptable. But that changed for me about five years ago.
Lone...go to Costco......save your membership fee several times over with a purchase of eye glasses..I cringe spending $250 for a pair of progressives!

Reactions: hawkguy77
I've personally used GlassesUSA.com and they're really affordable when compared to most other retailers. I don't replace my glasses very often as my prescription is stable now, the last time was at the beginning of 2021, but then I paid a total of $208 for two pairs, one pair for reading and working at a computer and another for correcting my distance vision. I added on a lot of features like scratch resistance, prism correction, anti-reflective & UV block coatings, photochromic lenses. It was a BOGO deal and they run good deals all the time.

I get 4 pairs for $12 on Amazon. That's less than 2 of the venti almond milk mochas that I get every day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT