ADVERTISEMENT

Sticking with SP

giphy.gif

Not sure how many folks here are familiar with or will admit to having watched (i have) "my fair lady" or read (i haven't) bernard shaw's pygmalion -- but i believe the key to deciphering captain kirk's behavior may lie in shaw's work. The story begins with an erudite but arrogant Professor Higgins who tells a fellow scholar named Captain Pickering that he could pass off a lowly flower girl as a duchess merely by teaching her to speak properly. In our case, we have Captain Kirk who has likely wagered somebody (very likely Belichek) that he can pass off a slow twitch lumberjack as a college qb merely by sending him out on the field. In the story, as I recall the professor succeeds magnificently. Let's see if the Kirk can do the same.

The timing of the Nevada game is almost unfortunate, as even the worst offense in the FBS is almost certain to put up a bunch of yardage and points this Saturday, providing a false sense that something is somehow fixed and that Petras is somehow a productive FBS QB. Then we struggle at Rutgers, get mowed over by Michigan, and Padilla has limited reps and isn't prepared to take over.

I'm sure KF is thinking it would be unfair to let Padilla come in for the inevitable cakewalk W over Nevada, but come on, man -- Petras has had too many chances to prove he can turn it around and has clearly shown that he can't. At this point it's unfair not to give Padilla a shot. I suppose if the staff wants to guarantee he hits the portal after this season, this is one way to ensure that. Just seems grossly unfair to the kid. I can't imagine how Padilla must feel at this point, considering that the staff still won't give him a chance after THIS?!

Dang -- I try to keep a glass-half-full mindset, but this season could very easily be one of the worst in recent memory, and with all due respect to Spencer (great kid, etc. -- wish him well), sticking with him ain't gonna help matters.

"...barring a setback in practice." WTF?
Because game performance after 20+ starts doesn't really matter. It's practice that counts.
KF has got to be the only HC in NCAA history to assess his 21-game starting QB's ability to keep his job based off of how he looks in practice. That is not an exaggeration.

KF is either trolling us or has absolutely frickin' lost it. There is simply no other explanation.

I posted earlier he would do this and will no pass rush and all the time in the world against a way inferior opponent, Petras will look decent and KF and BF will be saying see we told you so

I posted earlier he would do this and will no pass rush and all the time in the world against a way inferior opponent, Petras will look decent and KF and BF will be saying see we told you so
I’ve been saying the same thing.

I don't know what you guys are so upset over? I mean when Nile Kinnick played 7 points were hard to come by too, and he won a Heisman trophy! The Spencer for Heisman campaign starts on Saturday!

The timing of the Nevada game is almost unfortunate, as even the worst offense in the FBS is almost certain to put up a bunch of yardage and points this Saturday, providing a false sense that something is somehow fixed and that Petras is somehow a productive FBS QB. Then we struggle at Rutgers, get mowed over by Michigan, and Padilla has limited reps and isn't prepared to take over.

I'm sure KF is thinking it would be unfair to let Padilla come in for the inevitable cakewalk W over Nevada, but come on, man -- Petras has had too many chances to prove he can turn it around and has clearly shown that he can't. At this point it's unfair not to give Padilla a shot. I suppose if the staff wants to guarantee he hits the portal after this season, this is one way to ensure that. Just seems grossly unfair to the kid. I can't imagine how Padilla must feel at this point, considering that the staff still won't give him a chance after THIS?!

Dang -- I try to keep a glass-half-full mindset, but this season could very easily be one of the worst in recent memory, and with all due respect to Spencer (great kid, etc. -- wish him well), sticking with him ain't gonna help matters.
hysterical-laughter.gif

That's the problem. Incarnate Word hung 55 on these dudes. Pretty sure I could lead the Hawks to 30+ on Saturday. Then when we do it with, or in spite of, Petras, he has KF's blessing to keep on keepin' on.

I'm guessing Petras gets the hook after we lose at Rutgers... and Padilla then gets the dubious honor of leading a sacrificial lamb to slaughter against MeatChicken.

That's the problem. Incarnate Word hung 55 on these dudes. Pretty sure I could lead the Hawks to 30+ on Saturday. Then when we do it with, or in spite of, Petras, he has KF's blessing to keep on keepin' on.

I'm guessing Petras gets the hook after we lose at Rutgers... and Padilla then gets the dubious honor of leading a sacrificial lamb to slaughter against MeatChicken.
As much as I would love to see it - can't root against the team, no matter personal feelings about certain aspects - I won't believe until I see it.

Petras has looked that bad in the first two games. I need to see him actually do something before I just assume it should, therefore is, gonna happen.

As much as I would love to see it - can't root against the team, no matter personal feelings about certain aspects - I won't believe until I see it.

Petras has looked that bad in the first two games. I need to see him actually do something before I just assume it should, therefore is, gonna happen.
Nevada seems to be so awful that we should be able to move the ball on them in spite of our QB. I mean, giving up 55 to INCARNATE WORD?! You almost gotta TRY to do that.

I'm as skeptical of Petras' play as the next guy, but I still find it hard to believe we won't roll Nevada. Needless to say, if we struggle to score on Saturday, KF will have no choice but to hand the job to Padilla.

Nevada seems to be so awful that we should be able to move the ball on them in spite of our QB. I mean, giving up 55 to INCARNATE WORD?! You almost gotta TRY to do that.

I'm as skeptical of Petras' play as the next guy, but I still find it hard to believe we won't roll Nevada. Needless to say, if we struggle to score on Saturday, KF will have no choice but to hand the job to Padilla.
You're kidding yourself if you think KF will feel like he HAS TO try someone else at QB. The news about SP staying at QB1 today all but proves that.

And even if it does prove true that he does give the job to Padilla before the @Rutgers game, by that point, its already too late.

You can't expect to throw a backup to the conference wolves and expect automatically great improvement when he should have been getting meaningful in-game snaps 1.5 to 2.5 games before that, against much easier (IE, warm up) competition. Now the rest of the offense has to adjust to a new QB and no time to do it, because its conference play AND on the road.

I would be so pissed off as an Iowa fan to see such a pathetic offense and at the same time also know that there’s no chance the head coach will make a change. Last year my Gophers went 9-4 but it was in spite of our OC. I believe our offense overall national ranking was in the 90’s or around there. Fleck fired him after a 9 win season. This year we’ve scored 100 points in two games. Great coaches adapt and make changes.

I honestly feel for you guys. KF is a great coach with a hell of a legacy but nepotism has no bounds. Even though KF has been so good for so long I don’t blame you at all for wanting a change.

Kirk is stubborn beyond belief. He should have road of into the sunset a few years ago with dignity. Now he's going to be run out of town with more enemies than friends...kinda sad actually but he's bringing it on himself

It could mean that Petras is our best option at QB and gives us the best chance to win. We saw Alex last season. While he is more mobile, he is less accurate. Labas and May quite possibly may be recruiting mistakes and will never play a down for Iowa. Whoever has been primarily responsible for recruiting QB’s have obviously dropped the ball.

After hearing the news this afternoon I had pretty much decided not to go…however the more I think about it….maybe I want to go just to make my voice heard with my displeasure…

nah….I got better things to do

Reactions: hawkeye_power
It could mean that Petras is our best option at QB and gives us the best chance to win. We saw Alex last season. While he is more mobile, he is less accurate. Labas and May quite possibly may be recruiting mistakes and will never play a down for Iowa. Whoever has been primarily responsible for recruiting QB’s have obviously dropped the ball.
Spencer isn't completing the 5 yard out passes right now, accuracy isn't an attribute I would say he has a leg up on.

Nope

I simply don't believe that. It is based on KF's history of handling QB's. He has clearly established a pattern of playing favorites despite less-than-stellar play.

1) It took way too long to replace JC with Stanzi
2) He played JVB every snap in 2011 despite having two future NFL QB's on the bench
3) He did not hand the reigns over to CJB in 2014 when he was utterly superior to Rudock

In each case KF had a high quality QB sitting the bench while his chosen one stunk up the place. Absolutely no reason to believe that that isn't the case again. I agree, though, that if we truly don't have a QB more ready to perform on game day than SP, then we're in the middle of Iowa's worst QB recruiting years since the Randy Reiners/Scott Mullen era, or maybe even pre-Hayden.

Agree with others — Padilla can’t be less accurate. As much as I (and I assume all Iowa fans) want Spencer to succeed, he has had more than enough opportunity to do so. His accuracy seems to have dropped off this season — and it was marginal at best last year.

Padilla brings more mobility, accuracy that’s at least as good, a fresh start for the offense, and the message from the staff that they’re willing to do whatever they can to improve the O. It’s well past time to make the change.

If Padilla can’t hack it, Petras can always get another crack at it. Doesn’t have to be a permanent change. KF is out of legitimate reasons not to make the change.

How the hell do they know!!!!! Padilla hasn't had near the chances and who knows about labos really, how he would do during a real live game.

And yes they have

I simply don't believe that. It is based on KF's history of handling QB's. He has clearly established a pattern of playing favorites despite less-than-stellar play.

1) It took way too long to replace JC with Stanzi
2) He played JVB every snap in 2011 despite having two future NFL QB's on the bench
3) He did not hand the reigns over to CJB in 2014 when he was utterly superior to Rudock

In each case KF had a high quality QB sitting the bench while his chosen one stunk up the place. Absolutely no reason to believe that that isn't the case again. I agree, though, that if we truly don't have a QB more ready to perform on game day than SP, then we're in the middle of Iowa's worst QB recruiting years since the Randy Reiners/Scott Mullen era, or maybe even pre-Hayden.
You must be referring to 2012 for your 2nd point -- in 2011 the other two QB's besides JVB were Wienke and Rudock (Fr). Even in 2012 when JVB was a senior when Rudock (RS Fr) and Beathard (Fr) were on the roster along with two other since forgotten players. Of the two only CJ played any meaningful minutes in the NFL.

Iowa has not exactly been a hotbed for QB's - In 20+ seasons we've had maybe 4 QB's (Banks, Tate, Stanzi and Beathard) who could really move the needle and make plays when a play broke down. KOK probably had as much to do with three of those guys playing as anyone and now he's retired.

I just don't think Kirk's offensive philosophy is dependent on having a versatile, athletic QB -- unfortunately we don't have the playmakers at WR or RB along with the dominant offensive line play we had earlier. It's too bad cause our defense and special teams play are probably as good as they have ever been.

If Padilla or Labas is that much better or even as good as Petras I can't see Kirk not playing them -- otherwise he would quickly lose his team and his staff. We don't know that to be the case. If it is, then it's time for some big money donors to go to Barta and tell him Kirk needs to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT