ADVERTISEMENT

Sticking with SP

It could mean that Petras is our best option at QB and gives us the best chance to win. We saw Alex last season. While he is more mobile, he is less accurate. Labas and May quite possibly may be recruiting mistakes and will never play a down for Iowa. Whoever has been primarily responsible for recruiting QB’s have obviously dropped the ball.
You think Padilla would have problems completing more than 45% of his passes? Padilla might not be the answer. So give Labas a chance. Maybe he will catch lightning in a bottle. Petras is now a known quantity and it has not been pretty.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
A lot ails this offense to say the least. But Kirk saying SP will start this week is him playing everyone, no way SP starts against Nevada.

You must be referring to 2012 for your 2nd point -- in 2011 the other two QB's besides JVB were Wienke and Rudock (Fr). Even in 2012 when JVB was a senior when Rudock (RS Fr) and Beathard (Fr) were on the roster along with two other since forgotten players. Of the two only CJ played any meaningful minutes in the NFL.

Iowa has not exactly been a hotbed for QB's - In 20+ seasons we've had maybe 4 QB's (Banks, Tate, Stanzi and Beathard) who could really move the needle and make plays when a play broke down. KOK probably had as much to do with three of those guys playing as anyone and now he's retired.

I just don't think Kirk's offensive philosophy is dependent on having a versatile, athletic QB -- unfortunately we don't have the playmakers at WR or RB along with the dominant offensive line play we had earlier. It's too bad cause our defense and special teams play are probably as good as they have ever been.

If Padilla or Labas is that much better or even as good as Petras I can't see Kirk not playing them -- otherwise he would quickly lose his team and his staff. We don't know that to be the case. If it is, then it's time for some big money donors to go to Barta and tell him Kirk needs to go.
I think people on the site give way too much credit to big donors. With the TV and gate money Barta and KF really don't have to listen to this. Most of the big donors are allowed to be friends of some of these people and get cuddled a bit and maybe some of the last to put any pressure on them. In my opinion the fan base puts more pressure on them than big money

A lot ails this offense to say the least. But Kirk saying SP will start this week is him playing everyone, no way SP starts against Nevada.

Care to wager? I got a shiny nickel that says you are wrong.

Kirk is stubborn beyond belief. He should have road of into the sunset a few years ago with dignity. Now he's going to be run out of town with more enemies than friends...kinda sad actually but he's bringing it on himself
……….
Kirk is not going anywhere. He has 48 million buy out this year and 42 million next year

Do you know if the other QB's possess those traits?
Does anybody? And that’s pretty much the damn point. Iowa knows who Spencer is, and fact of the matter is, he’s not good enough. Why waste a great defense with yet another year of bad qb play. What could this team be with an average QB? Idk that either, but I’d sure like to find out.

Does anybody? And that’s pretty much the damn point. Iowa knows who Spencer is, and fact of the matter is, he’s not good enough. Why waste a great defense with yet another year of bad qb play. What could this team be with an average QB? Idk that either, but I’d sure like to find out.

That’s actually my point too. No one knows but the coaches. So, while I understand the clamoring for new blood I guess I just feel that getting all worked up is pointless as we have zero control.

I think people on the site give way too much credit to big donors. With the TV and gate money Barta and KF really don't have to listen to this. Most of the big donors are allowed to be friends of some of these people and get cuddled a bit and maybe some of the last to put any pressure on them. In my opinion the fan base puts more pressure on them than big money
Tell that to Archie Miller. Two boosters paid the $10 million buyout and cost of replacing Miller.

That’s actually my point too. No one knows but the coaches. So, while I understand the clamoring for new blood I guess I just feel that getting all worked up is pointless as we have zero control.
Maybe, but, the "noise" outside of the walls of the program are being heard/felt. Fans should just go to the game and see the offense and think, that seems bad, but, Kirk said it is fine. Getting worked up will have an impact as many fans are worried about the potential impact this season might have on recruiting.

Maybe, but, the "noise" outside of the walls of the program are being heard/felt. Fans should just go to the game and see the offense and think, that seems bad, but, Kirk said it is fine. Getting worked up will have an impact as many fans are worried about the potential impact this season might have on recruiting.

Can the VAST majority of fans control recruiting? I know a few big money people can but I’m guessing they aren’t posting here.

In many coaches cases I think a big fan revolt could result in some changes but I don’t think they can in this case. Coach Ferentz is not going to lose his job due to fan pressure.

I agree with your premise but just feel Iowa is a bit unique in that area.

Edit: I might not be understanding your entire post. Maybe give some feedback on my response. I do think you raise a valid point for many programs, just not Iowa and Coach Ferentz.

ADVERTISEMENT