ADVERTISEMENT

Still one of the most hilarious things I have ever witnessed

I was at that game. For some reason, the Minnesota PA guy was intent on provoking the situation - first by loudly demanding that the field be immediately cleared during Iowa's post-game celebration and then by blaring some ear piercing noise over the Metrodome speakers. That riled up the rowdies even more. Iowa fans started running on to the field. All the while the UM band was in formation near the sideline waiting to do their post-game thing.

Iowa players then headed to the locker room. About a minute later, right in front of where I was sitting, some douchebag "security" guy tackled an Iowa fan and was roughing him up a bit trying to get him off the field. That set off a new round of boos and a huge wave of Iowa fans jumped the rail onto the field. The scene on the field was really getting out of control. The rest of the Dome security had no choice but to back off because they were seriously outnumbered...… and the rest is history.

I still maintain that this episode never would have happened if the UM would have allowed a few minutes for Iowa to celebrate after the big win. They got what they deserved - not only an ass whipping but the humiliation of Iowa fans taking down their home field posts.

I was at that game. For some reason, the Minnesota PA guy was intent on provoking the situation - first by loudly demanding that the field be immediately cleared during Iowa's post-game celebration and then by blaring some ear piercing noise over the Metrodome speakers. That riled up the rowdies even more. Iowa fans started running on to the field. All the while the UM band was in formation near the sideline waiting to do their post-game thing.

Iowa players then headed to the locker room. About a minute later, right in front of where I was sitting, some douchebag "security" guy tackled an Iowa fan and was roughing him up a bit trying to get him off the field. That set off a new round of boos and a huge wave of Iowa fans jumped the rail onto the field. The scene on the field was really getting out of control. The rest of the Dome security had no choice but to back off because they were seriously outnumbered...… and the rest is history.

I still maintain that this episode never would have happened if the UM would have allowed a few minutes for Iowa to celebrate after the big win. They got what they deserved - not only an ass whipping but the humiliation of Iowa fans taking down their home field posts.
What's even funnier is how they souped up the speed of the fans carrying the goal posts.

I completely agree with this, and I was also there. The blaring noise over the loudspeaker was what sent the fans over the top.

That was such a fun game though and to think the visiting fans tore down a goalpost... that might not have ever happened before, and I doubt it ever will again.

Sportscenter thought it was pretty cool, also!
Might just be the most embarrassing thing to happen to the HOME team in college football history.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I heard somewhere that part of this goal post is displayed in the Ferentz living room. Fact or fiction?

The best one is where Hawkeye Ron Hawley, trying for an interception ran into and knocked down a temporary goal post at Michigan State. Not sure of the year.

I love everything about this. :)

But, I have one question ... how much did MSU pay to build those goal posts? $89.99? They look like something I would make in my basement.

One of my favorite games I have ever attended. We sat in the upper deck which was essentially all Iowa fans. The look of disgust from the few Minnesota fans who came through the section entrance and turned around to see a huge Iowa fan base was something I will always remember. It was also satisfying to see the black and gold swarm outside before the game. Was like Melrose.

I went with my dad who likes to get the hell out of there when the game is over and convinced him to go down to the lower level towards the end of the game and soak in the win. Figured I might never see it again. Was a madhouse when the fans went out and took over. And not sure if its the same guy mentioned above but I saw the security take down one fan out of a thousand, rough him up, and then just let him go.

The best one is where Hawkeye Ron Hawley, trying for an interception ran into and knocked down a temporary goal post at Michigan State. Not sure of the year.

I love everything about this. :)

But, I have one question ... how much did MSU pay to build those goal posts? $89.99? They look like something I would make in my basement.
They were “temporary” goal posts because it was the last game for the MSU coach and they were anticipating the goal posts being torn down if MSU won. They didn’t.

I was at that MSU game. It was early 80's and was totally awesome. In was sitting with a bunch of MSU fans and their gasps made it extra special.

The Ron Hawley play would have been the play-of-the-day except for some stupid west coast band wondering onto the field before the game was over.

First of all, watch your "up guy"(# 3) get literally destroyed. Has he woken up yet? Talk about a mauling.

Then Ferentz says after the game that he was not prepared for the on-side kick. That was absolutely hilarious. We had no other option, Kirk!

Last edited:

Agree to disagree. First of all The MetroDump was always a Vikings first stadium. In addition to numerous announcements starting in the first quarter stating that the Gopher band was to perform immediately following the game, it was mentioned that the stadium crew would be flipping the stadium for the Vikings game the following day. The Gophers band waited for at least 10 to 15 minutes following the game prior to leaving and doing their show on the plaza.

The University had little to nothing to do with that situation. It was the Metropolitan sports commission, private security and thankfully only a handful of Minneapolis police.

Your response was "you wont find many spending on both" to which I responded you wont find any iowan spending money on Iowa and ISU. Sorry old rolled gold, your town is a hockey town and pJ fleck is a clown.

What was your record last year?:eek:

5-7

You were 7-5

We lost a tight one in iowa city with the worst qb'ing seen in history.

I'm feeling we don't have far to go. You know how Fleck's goal is to reach Iowa's level and then relax. LMAO

5-7

You were 7-5

I'm feeling we don't have far to go. You know how Fleck's goal is to reach Iowa's level and then relax. LMAO
Hope springs eternal in the offseason. I know one guy crazy enough to think the Iowa receiving core is going to be the best unit on the team this year...............

First of all, watch your "up guy"(# 3) get literally destroyed. Has he woken up yet? Talk about a mauling.

Then Ferentz says after the game that he was not prepared for the on-side kick. That was absolutely hilarious. We had no other option, Kirk!

Good God, Goldteam, you are such a bad troll. You seriously think a late-game blunder by a lousy team is a "one-up" of a visiting team's fans tearing down your goal posts?

I think you need to reevaluate your life.

5-7

You were 7-5

Can I be the one to tell him how many games Iowa really won last year?! Can I? Can I??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT