ADVERTISEMENT

Still whiffing on basic pass blocks; defense great again

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Nowhere much to run for Allen and Gerundeo (sp?). Mertz not going to beat a good defense consistently. Only one breakdown by the Dee. Very good tackling, they look fresh late in the year.

But I am still baffled by our OLine just plain friggin whiffing on so many blocks. I mean several times a defensive tackle comes untouched for a short distance clobber on your QB. I always thought the OLine protected from the Center outwards.

Anyway, Petras was good enough when he had time but he and the Oline need to be better these last two games.

And Brian F still making some strange 3rd and 1 play calls to have Petras run play action with his back to all those blitzers and get clobbered within 2 seconds. Just run the ball.

Even at that the hawks are very close to controlling their own destiny to another West Div title. Illinois will most likely, highly likely lose to Mich so if the hawks can win two more they win the division, weird season

Nowhere much to run for Allen and Gerundeo (sp?). Mertz not going to beat a good defense consistently. Only one breakdown by the Dee. Very good tackling, they look fresh late in the year.

But I am still baffled by our OLine just plain friggin whiffing on so many blocks. I mean several times a defensive tackle comes untouched for a short distance clobber on your QB. I always thought the OLine protected from the Center outwards.

Anyway, Petras was good enough when he had time but he and the Oline need to be better these last two games.

And Brian F still making some strange 3rd and 1 play calls to have Petras run play action with his back to all those blitzers and get clobbered within 2 seconds. Just run the ball.

Even at that the hawks are very close to controlling their own destiny to another West Div title. Illinois will most likely, highly likely lose to Mich so if the hawks can win two more they win the division, weird season
3rd and 1 is a great time for play action. You just have to hope your line can win a 8 on 7 matchup.

We can’t do that very often.

You’d rather run it with a bad OL and a full on run blitz hitting every gap?

At spike point, you can’t scheme around guys that can’t block. You have to expect them to do at least the minimum.
Oh I agree. I’m not a BF fan at all but there’s not an OC out there that could call a high percentage play and be confident in high percentage results with this o-line.

You’d rather run it with a bad OL and a full on run blitz hitting every gap?

At some point, you can’t scheme around guys that can’t block. You have to expect them to do at least the minimum.
If I'm not mistaken Wisky got 3 of their 6 sacks with a 3 man rush which included the Petras fumble. Those may or may not have been roll outs/PA's.

The line was putrid. Plumb was a revolving door. Colby missed numerous blocks like he didn't know his assignment, hell everyone had their moments. This OL may be the worst I have seen, and that is saying alot.

When our center can’t hike on time our offense has no chance against a good defense especially our run game. Watch the game again it’s amazing we are not called for more illegal motion.
Very true. The snap is late so often, it’s almost like the refs just say to themselves, “Shoot — we can’t call them every time their center snaps it late — we’d be here all day!”

We’ve gotten away with a TON of false starts where the whole line has fired off before the snap. It’s pretty hilarious. And 10 games into the season, we’re still doing it.

Very true. The snap is late so often, it’s almost like the refs just say to themselves, “Shoot — we can’t call them every time their center snaps it late — we’d be here all day!”

We’ve gotten away with a TON of false starts where the whole line has fired off before the snap. It’s pretty hilarious. And 10 games into the season, we’re still doing it.

It looks so odd on TV. How is this not called?

I've cussed Petras a lot on here but I'm beginning to sympathize with the kid. With this Oline he knows every time he takes a snap (late) he's likely going to get creamed by an unimpeded defensive player. Dead man walking.
True. In some cases there’s just nothing he can do. On the other hand, he also really struggles to feel the rush, get rid of the ball, and/or just go down without giving up a strip sack.

Needless to say, a porous OL and a completely immobile QB with marginal pocket presence is a rough combination — especially on the road in bad weather against a rival with a good defense. The O is gonna struggle next week. Just hope they can do enough to rely on the D and special teams and eek out an ugly W.

As poor as Petras has been, he's had no help from the o-line and certainly got none today.

As for wisky, I'm imagining their fan base might be even more ready to move on to a different qb than many Iowa fans. Mertz has been a bust for them and was no better today.

As poor as Petras has been, he's had no help from the o-line and certainly got none today.

As for wisky, I'm imagining their fan base might be even more ready to move on to a different qb than many Iowa fans. Mertz has been a bust for them and was no better today.
Our D was great, but Mertz bailed us out several times with some horrendous misses of open receivers. And the perfect pick 6, right to DeJean as if he were in the pattern, was a huge help. No doubt, Mertz was an honorary Hawkeye today.

True. In some cases there’s just nothing he can do. On the other hand, he also really struggles to feel the rush, get rid of the ball, and/or just go down without giving up a strip sack.

Needless to say, a porous OL and a completely immobile QB with marginal pocket presence is a rough combination — especially on the road in bad weather against a rival with a good defense. The O is gonna struggle next week. Just hope they can do enough to rely on the D and special teams and eek out an ugly W.
There were times today he didn't even have time to raise his arm to throw..... :( :(

How can you not see which way a man right in front of goes? So many whiffs. Maybe just run block every down- it could not be worse for SP

I've cussed Petras a lot on here but I'm beginning to sympathize with the kid. With this Oline he knows every time he takes a snap (late) he's likely going to get creamed by an unimpeded defensive player. Dead man walking.
I too, may have been a little hard on Petras. I swear I saw the WI DE shake Plumb's hand as he ran by him for a sack! However, if we had a QB with a modicum of quicks, he could avoid some of the rush.

The O-line sucks, Petras sucks, teams can just pin their ears back and come after him and stuff the run because they know that Petras and our receivers cannot beat them and make them pay for doing that. I've never seen so many times where there are literally 4 guys in the backfield waiting for the running back. It's like our line isn't even there at all.

Lol, hope you’re still planning on releasing the preview for your offensive scheme. You know, the one that works when our tackles can’t even get a hand on the ends before falling over.

I mean, I’m sure you’re busy prepping for tomorrows youth league game but looking forward to when you roll it out.

And LOL at 2nd and 1 being a great time for it. Defenses certainly would never expect it, even though the announcers go out of their way to say every time what a great position it is for PA. Hell, Dolph even knows it’s coming there. Great call.

Lol, hope you’re still planning on releasing the preview for your offensive scheme. You know, the one that works when our tackles can’t even get a hand on the ends before falling over.

I mean, I’m sure you’re busy prepping for tomorrows youth league game but looking forward to when you roll it out.

And LOL at 2nd and 1 being a great time for it. Defenses certainly would never expect it, even though the announcers go out of their way to say every time what a great position it is for PA. Hell, Dolph even knows it’s coming there. Great call.
Lulz, the joke's on you. Our youth league ended almost a month ago.

But I look forward to your next snarky douche for the sake of being a snarky douche schtick (and yes its very much a schtick..............we all get it) post, especially now that I have you in a corner. :cool:

I think we fans had a false hope after the NW and Purdue games that the OLine was improving.

Today was another dose of reality. Apparently the coaching staff felt they could catch lightening in a bottle with converting another DLineman to the Center position. Jones has been a massive disappointment. Couple that with two shitty OTs and two more lead footed OGs and you have the 2022 offensive line.

Iowa should beat both Minnesota and Nebraska, but a rematch with tOSU or Michigan is gonna get ugly.

I think we fans had a false hope after the NW and Purdue games that the OLine was improving.

Today was another dose of reality. Apparently the coaching staff felt they could catch lightening in a bottle with converting another DLineman to the Center position. Jones has been a massive disappointment. Couple that with two shitty OTs and two more lead footed OGs and you have the 2022 offensive line.

Iowa should beat both Minnesota and Nebraska, but a rematch with tOSU or Michigan is gonna get ugly.
Didn't Kirk come out just prior to the season saying something along the lines of "we have a Big 10 offensive line again"? I could have sworn I heard him quoted as saying something like that.

It is baffling how this is week 11 and Iowa's OL look no further along with their fundamentals/understanding/development then they were week one.

If it isn't coaching and is indeed these guys just aren't very good....Iowa's OL will look completely different next year as Proctor won't be the only new face added to the starting OL.

1:51 left in the first quarter is the tell all Oline 2 year development level under the present coaching. 79 had been getting man handled during each series so he decides to go low and completely whiffs allowing 7 to get lit up, AGAIN. There’s more throughout the game but how it’s gotten to this pitiful state from what it use to be is unbelievable. Not surprised at who, because they all have had a part in it, but good God how embarrassing this has to be when they watch the film and continually see themselves fail miserably time and time again.

Not a Petras fan but this kid has had the absolute most inept Oline in IOWA’s history lining up in front of him the past few years on game days.

Didn't Kirk come out just prior to the season saying something along the lines of "we have a Big 10 offensive line again"? I could have sworn I heard him quoted as saying something like that.
In his comments with Gary and Ed, coach K was clearly disappointed and surprised by the OL play yesterday. They’re the biggest impediment to the O as a whole improving.

Damn our D & ST are pretty amazing though. We wouldn’t be bowling without them, AINEC. Missed opportunity this year that we couldn’t give them a competitive offense to work with.

Reactions: Ignored
I too, may have been a little hard on Petras. I swear I saw the WI DE shake Plumb's hand as he ran by him for a sack! However, if we had a QB with a modicum of quicks, he could avoid some of the rush.
WI DE: "Just heading back to knock the slobber out of your QB."

Plumb: "Oh, OK."

In his comments with Gary and Ed, coach K was clearly disappointed and surprised by the OL play yesterday. They’re the biggest impediment to the O as a whole improving.

Damn our D & ST are pretty amazing though. We wouldn’t be bowling without them, AINEC. Missed opportunity this year that we couldn’t give them a competitive offense to work with.
OL is his expertise.
Come on, Kirk.

It all starts at the center position and it appears he isn’t making the calls to get the line set or is making the call then doing the opposite of what he is suppose to do. That leaves a man free to go between the center and guards (2 or 3 hole, most times both) or the tackles can’t even get a hand on their man to force them wide then continue to direct them upfield so Petras can somewhat move up in the pocket.

Add in it appears all of the linemen eyes are at the head of the person they are suppose to block instead at the waist. We were always told to focus on the midsection of the opposing player to tell you where they are going. The fundamentals of the oline are just not good. I can’t see how Barrett is retained after this season based on play ten games in.

It’s the worst case scenario. Petras stinks too but compound that with a terrible OL and it’s a complete clown show out there on offense.

Reactions: Bishop1971

Probably, but I sure hope to see it, and will let the chips fall where they may in December

It looks so odd on TV. How is this not called?
I noticed this in Game 1 and shrugged as early jitters, then I wondered again in Games 2 and 3, then I began to wonder if Budymar was teaching this. Now in mid Nov, I have no idea why the sync issue is still an issue!

ADVERTISEMENT