ADVERTISEMENT

Still whiffing on basic pass blocks; defense great again

Nowhere much to run for Allen and Gerundeo (sp?). Mertz not going to beat a good defense consistently. Only one breakdown by the Dee. Very good tackling, they look fresh late in the year.

But I am still baffled by our OLine just plain friggin whiffing on so many blocks. I mean several times a defensive tackle comes untouched for a short distance clobber on your QB. I always thought the OLine protected from the Center outwards.

Anyway, Petras was good enough when he had time but he and the Oline need to be better these last two games.

And Brian F still making some strange 3rd and 1 play calls to have Petras run play action with his back to all those blitzers and get clobbered within 2 seconds. Just run the ball.

Even at that the hawks are very close to controlling their own destiny to another West Div title. Illinois will most likely, highly likely lose to Mich so if the hawks can win two more they win the division, weird season
Well the good thing is that when the defense and special teams presented the opportunities, the offense came through with enough good plays to get the ball in the end zone. Though we all know the O-line must do better , yesterday was a great example of very efficient complementary football.

I think the main problem is we missed on recruiting and are relying on too many underclassmen. Our only hope is they improve over the next 1-2 years and use that experience/time to develop into good OL.

Phil Parker puts out a great defense almost every year. With even an average offense, we win 10 games. That starts up front. They need to start recruiting well more consistently. Problem is we have to many home runs but strike out the rest of the time. We’ve fielded some elite individual OL but too many guys who shouldn’t be on the field beside them.

Just watched the game today. Unbelievable how poor the tackles played. Herbig made Plumb look slow and routinely outplayed him. That’s our best right tackle? The missed cut block that Herbig easily danced around then drilled Petras was laughable. Thankfully MittelschMertz was even more incompetent than our tackles. I’ll miss him almost as much as Tanner Morgan

The slow motion replay of Richman getting torched by Herbig was so bad. It was about the worst footwork I’ve ever seen. The offensive line is atrocious and it’s utterly insane if they keep that coach heading into next year.

The slow motion replay of Richman getting torched by Herbig was so bad. It was about the worst footwork I’ve ever seen. The offensive line is atrocious and it’s utterly insane if they keep that coach heading into next year.
Was that the one where Richman kind of turned around like he was then gonna block someone else so he didn't have to watch his QB get killed? Most OL go help the QB up after getting beat.

If I'm not mistaken Wisky got 3 of their 6 sacks with a 3 man rush which included the Petras fumble. Those may or may not have been roll outs/PA's.

The line was putrid. Plumb was a revolving door. Colby missed numerous blocks like he didn't know his assignment, hell everyone had their moments. This OL may be the worst I have seen, and that is saying alot.
Heck on one play TWO O-linemen missed the same ONE defender who go the sack. 2 of them barely touched him.

Heck on one play TWO O-linemen missed the same ONE defender who go the sack. 2 of them barely touched him.
Is that the play where Colby and the left tackle just allowed him to go between them as the other was expecting the other player to block him.

Was that the one where Richman kind of turned around like he was then gonna block someone else so he didn't have to watch his QB get killed? Most OL go help the QB up after getting beat.
You can see the play I was referring to at 2:20. It's still pretty bad after re-watching it.

You can see the play I was referring to at 2:20. It's still pretty bad after re-watching it.

That's the one! Like hey if I don't look back maybe they won't see that I totally whiffed on my block.

How many times you think they roll that back during the position meetings when watching the film? He will get yelled at on multiple points. Not going back toward the QB in case of a fumble for example.

I
That's the one! Like hey if I don't look back maybe they won't see that I totally whiffed on my block.

How many times you think they roll that back during the position meetings when watching the film? He will get yelled at on multiple points. Not going back toward the QB in case of a fumble for example.
Not enough, apparently, as they keep making the same mistakes.

I didn’t really pay attention to 98/99 as I was always working on Saturdays, but Barnett has overseen the two worst Iowa OL that I’ve paid attention to.

I

Not enough, apparently, as they keep making the same mistakes.

I didn’t really pay attention to 98/99 as I was always working on Saturdays, but Barnett has overseen the two worst Iowa OL that I’ve paid attention to.
I would think they are trained to go toward the QB if they let a guy through like that. Spencer fumbled and they recovered. Richman should have immediately moved toward the QB in the event that happened, and also to help Spencer up and apologize. What the hell he was doing with his feet I have no idea, but obviously not balanced.

I wish we had some way of knowing from someone inside how bad the line looks in practices when our DL and OL are going at it in pads. Gotta be bad.

I would think they are trained to go toward the QB if they let a guy through like that. Spencer fumbled and they recovered. Richman should have immediately moved toward the QB in the event that happened, and also to help Spencer up and apologize. What the hell he was doing with his feet I have no idea, but obviously not balanced.

I wish we had some way of knowing from someone inside how bad the line looks in practices when our DL and OL are going at it in pads. Gotta be bad.
Even if it’s 1’s vs. 2’s, our DL has to be just owning these guys. But you would think that would be helping them!

Even if it’s 1’s vs. 2’s, our DL has to be just owning these guys. But you would think that would be helping them!
I was actually thinking how good this dline might be if they had to go up against a capable oline in practice. The number one dline must consider going up against the 2's an off day every time they practice against them.

I was thinking how good this dline might be if they had to go up against a capable oline in practice. The number one dline must consider going up against the 2's an off day every time they practice against them.
Like back in the old high school days when in practice you might get a day where Varsity went against JV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT