ADVERTISEMENT

Stoll Charged with False Reports x 2

Yes, I meant to write "discipline" but as religious as these wrestlers are today "disciple" is fitting.

Your message reads like Brands wouldn't do it on his own, that he has to be "forced." Not sure that's accurate.

Reactions: el dub
They are all a bunch of dipshits playing with loaded gun at 4 AM...they are lucky no one took a round to the chest or head...Iowa finally has a chance to challenge PSU and tOSU and they are selfish and jeopardize the team...

They are all a bunch of dipshits playing with loaded gun at 4 AM...they are lucky no one took a round to the chest or head...Iowa finally has a chance to challenge PSU and tOSU and they are selfish and jeopardize the team...

Yeah, what selfish souls. Those robots need reprogramming, right? The first line of code in every subroutine needs to focus on March 21st, 2019.

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk and Huck
I would not call them pigs. That is a bit over the top. I do hate to admit though that I have been lied to by cops and I am a law abiding citizen. It seems they have been dispatched more and more to extract money from the citizens to pay for indebted and broke city gov't. It is a shame, because you know most of them wanted to protect and serve when they signed up and they are usually pretty good guys.
I know some great guys who are terrific people and they are cops, but when the boss says go out and give "x" number of tickets and raise "x" in fines etc, what can they do. It has really changed my opinion of cops from one of great respect to slight distrust. Instead of letting things go, every incident is seen as a potential revenue stream. IMHO

“To serve and collect”

I see that TheMat has locked the Sam Stoll thread after someone had the audacity to post:
"Hoping he has a swift and uneventful recovery. We all have made bad judgements. Stoll will learn from this."
One misspelling and the GrammarPolice shut it down.

Reactions: honkey69
No it has not. Nothing has been announced discipline wise. I expect very little but in these cases you never know.

This is the correct answer.

If it had happened on the UI campus, someone would have been expelled (zero tolerance). Nearly every public university (and certainly Iowa) prohibits firearms on campus.

As for Sam's initial lie and later obstruction, it would be well to remember Nixon and Clinton's (and potentially one more) experience while covering up a crime (if this turns out to be). Police investigators are very effective in obtaining information.

Very doubtful this is over.

Reactions: el dub
If someone meant him serious harm by firing at him on purpose, he probably isn't taking the route that he did.

He got what sounds like a flesh wound. Strap on a singlet, put a band-aid on it and let's go! ;) (a fitting punishment would be sitting out the wrestle-off or perhaps the Iowa City duals!)

If someone meant him serious harm by firing at him on purpose, he probably isn't taking the route that he did.

He got what sounds like a flesh wound. Strap on a singlet, put a band-aid on it and let's go! ;) (a fitting punishment would be sitting out the wrestle-off or perhaps the Iowa City duals!)

In my mind we are more awaiting punishment for the shooter...but might be wrong.

In my mind we are more awaiting punishment for the shooter...but might be wrong.
Since we don't know who that is, I know I'm not waiting for it. But to each his own.

Does Lee Harvey Oswald have any relatives living in or near a grassy knoll in Iowa City?

Lol From what I’ve read here at HR, the cops might be the only ones who don’t know who pulled the trigger.
Well they have to be able to prove it in a court of law.

We can just take rumors and run with them, and from what I've seen, that's all there is.

Since we don't know who that is, I know I'm not waiting for it. But to each his own.

Does Lee Harvey Oswald have any relatives living in or near a grassy knoll in Iowa City?

Wouldn't you be even MORE waiting for it if you don't know who it is?

Lol From what I’ve read here at HR, the cops might be the only ones who don’t know who pulled the trigger.

They know exactly who did but they have no evidence. Sam isn't cooperating, remember?

Wouldn't you be even MORE waiting for it if you don't know who it is?

They know exactly who did but they have no evidence. Sam isn't cooperating, remember?
Nope. Just not that curious.

Doesn't directly involve me so why would I care to that extent? Sam got shot and moved on it appears to me. As long as there isn't some lunatic with a gun roaming the streets of Iowa City, who cares?

We may or may not lose some participants for my favorite wrestling team for varying lengths of time, but I don't make those decisions, so like everything else I'll deal with it best I can and hope for the best, whenever that is.

Good or bad decisions have consequences, so will this event. When the findings are released, we can all freak out then or breathe a sigh of relief or whatever trips your personal trigger.

Reactions: slushhead
Nope. Just not that curious.

Doesn't directly involve me so why would I care to that extent? Sam got shot and moved on it appears to me. As long as there isn't some lunatic with a gun roaming the streets of Iowa City, who cares?

We may or may not lose some participants for my favorite wrestling team for varying lengths of time, but I don't make those decisions, so like everything else I'll deal with it best I can and hope for the best, whenever that is.

Good or bad decisions have consequences, so will this event. When the findings are released, we can all freak out then or breathe a sigh of relief or whatever trips your personal trigger.

That's an interesting perspective. As surprising as it is interesting. Surprising that someone who follows the team so closely claims to not at all wonder whether potentially a key member of said team will miss some or all of the upcoming season. I respect that even if I'm surprised by it.

Reactions: 24 so far
That's an interesting perspective. As surprising as it is interesting. Surprising that someone who follows the team so closely claims to not at all wonder whether potentially a key member of said team will miss some or all of the upcoming season. I respect that even if I'm surprised by it.
Well, I find when I have no control over a situation, it's best to not get too worked up about it. That's pretty much it I guess.

Good attitude, but it’s pretty contrary to being a sports fan. (Especially a fan crazy enough to post on a message board in the offseason). I had no control when Lee pinned Tomasello, but I got pretty ‘worked up’ about that!

Well, I find when I have no control over a situation, it's best to not get too worked up about it. That's pretty much it I guess.

I don't know that following the story closely means one is getting "worked up about it." Also, note you have zero control over what happens in an Iowa wrestling match yet here you are talking wrestling.

Good attitude, but it’s pretty contrary to being a sports fan. (Especially a fan crazy enough to post on a message board in the offseason). I had no control when Lee pinned Tomasello, but I got pretty ‘worked up’ about that!

You have no control? I've found the success of every team I follow is directly tied to my actions before and during the event.

I accept full blame for Ronnie Lester's injury in the 1980 Final Four because I wore the wrong shoes.

Well they have to be able to prove it in a court of law.

We can just take rumors and run with them, and from what I've seen, that's all there is.

That hole in Sam’s knee is no rumor.

But maybe it was all a mistake and Sammy is really just suffering from a case of lead poisoning.

Reactions: YoungGun07
You have no control? I've found the success of every team I follow is directly tied to my actions before and during the event.

I accept full blame for Ronnie Lester's injury in the 1980 Final Four because I wore the wrong shoes.
so you are the ass - I will never forgive that selfish act. I actually made an effort to sit in the same place that I sat in when they kept winning.

Reactions: artradley
No it has not. Nothing has been announced discipline wise. I expect very little but in these cases you never know.
His discipline could be tough. If he's unable to wrestle than let's give him 1 month off to start the season. :rolleyes:

This will be the FIRST time I've ever agreed with jammenz (holy cow). Let Sam keep quiet and defend his friend with silence. "The shooter" should be MAN/WOMAN ENOUGH to come forward and "take responsibility for his/her actions". My parents taught me to take responsibility for my actions. Maybe that's just the old way of doing things. I'm speeding and get pulled over, "yes officer I was going over the speed limit" accept the ticket and move on, no excuses.

Without knowing the circumstances, totally disagree. Person could jeopardize their time in school, get charged with a serious crime for the shooting, etc. You do nothing. It sounds like the shooting was accidental and Sam Stoll doesn't seem to think the person is at fault. I would not come forward and volunteer any information.

He can’t plead the 5th to protect someone else. He goes to jail for that. The 5th lets you not incriminate yourself but a failure to incriminate others is contempt of court (assuming a subpoena).

Being questioned about false statements you can plead the fifth. Anything he would say about the incident would validate that his prior reports are false, thus incriminating himself.

I don't like or trust cops. Sue me. I'm not the only one. Guess this comes as quite a surprise to some of you.....
You know, I'm a minister. Priests, pastors, even missionaries have, on occasion, done some really awful, hurtful stuff. (I've had to be part of the cleanup in one particular case.) Such episodes have led some people to condemn all religion. I get it, but it's still generalizing from the worst cases. The same problem occurs in every profession where power is granted and trust is given. But if we refuse to trust all on the basis of a few rotten apples, we will end up trusting no one. I've met a couple of ugly, racist, dangerous cops. But I know many, many more who are heroic and have hearts of gold.

You know, I'm a minister. Priests, pastors, even missionaries have, on occasion, done some really awful, hurtful stuff. (I've had to be part of the cleanup in one particular case.) Such episodes have led some people to condemn all religion. I get it, but it's still generalizing from the worst cases. The same problem occurs in every profession where power is granted and trust is given. But if we refuse to trust all on the basis of a few rotten apples, we will end up trusting no one. I've met a couple of ugly, racist, dangerous cops. But I know many, many more who are heroic and have hearts of gold.

The so called good cops don’t allow their union to get the bad cops off the street because “Thin blue line.” And “blue lives matter” (eye roll).

Read up on cops who speak out against cops. Their lives become miserable. Sure most cops don’t want to harm an innocent, but they also don’t care enough to ask for change when one of the “bad cops” does something g and should be fired.

Stoll is using this opportunity to cut down to 197. Roster has him listed at 215 so he's almost there.

Reactions: JBJRFL
As a result of the recent campus shooting it would seem that Stoll was party to a number of violations of student conduct. These violations present significant problems for his continued enrollment/registration at the University of Iowa (please see; University of Iowa, Dean of Student, Code of Student Life).

Not trying to be judge and jury here, but prohibited conduct by University of Iowa students does include; 1) Dishonesty, 2) Collusion, 3) Fabricated or false information, 4) Interference with University Operations/Disruption of Safety, 5) Violate Conduct, 6) Violation of Law or Policy, 7) Use or Possession of Weapons, 8) Possession of Ammunition, etc., etc. …

Mindful that campus is defined in the university Code of Student Life as;

B.1 The term "campus" means property owned, leased, used, or controlled by the University of Iowa, and also includes streets, sidewalks, and pathways adjacent to or in the immediate vicinity of University property.

In a broader view the subject of a university student handling a gun at three o’clock in the morning which results in the shooting of a university student is surely not what the University of Iowa is all about. Every element of civil behavior is not addressed in the university code of conduct. Nonetheless ‘gun play’ and lying to police/university authorities is not behavior tolerated/accepted by the University of Iowa.

And now comes the National Collegiate Athletic Association…

As a result of the recent campus shooting it would seem that Stoll was party to a number of violations of student conduct. These violations present significant problems for his continued enrollment/registration at the University of Iowa (please see; University of Iowa, Dean of Student, Code of Student Life).

Not trying to be judge and jury here, but prohibited conduct by University of Iowa students does include; 1) Dishonesty, 2) Collusion, 3) Fabricated or false information, 4) Interference with University Operations/Disruption of Safety, 5) Violate Conduct, 6) Violation of Law or Policy, 7) Use or Possession of Weapons, 8) Possession of Ammunition, etc., etc. …

Mindful that campus is defined in the university Code of Student Life as;

B.1 The term "campus" means property owned, leased, used, or controlled by the University of Iowa, and also includes streets, sidewalks, and pathways adjacent to or in the immediate vicinity of University property.

In a broader view the subject of a university student handling a gun at three o’clock in the morning which results in the shooting of a university student is surely not what the University of Iowa is all about. Every element of civil behavior is not addressed in the university code of conduct. Nonetheless ‘gun play’ and lying to police/university authorities is not behavior tolerated/accepted by the University of Iowa.

And now comes the National Collegiate Athletic Association…

You sound like a fun guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT