ADVERTISEMENT

Stop buying from these companies. They’re funding Putin’s war.

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

Stop buying from these companies. They’re funding Putin’s war.​

Some 400 U.S. and other multinational firms have pulled out of Russia, either permanently or temporarily, according to Yale’s Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, who has kept the authoritative list of corporate actions in Russia. Oil companies (BP, Shell, ExxonMobil) and tech companies (Dell, IBM, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter) led the way, and many others (McDonald’s, Starbucks, Coca-Cola) eventually followed.

But, according to Sonnenfeld, there are, at the other extreme, 33 companies (as of Wednesday afternoon) that form a “hall of shame,” defying demands that they exit Russia or reduce their activities there.

Those who want to stop Russia’s murderous attack against Ukraine should stop investing in or buying the products of these companies.

Koch Industries, whose owners gave to right-wing causes for years, is now financing Putin’s war. The people who make Brawny paper towels, Dixie cups, Quilted Northern toilet paper, Vanity Fair napkins and Georgia-Pacific lumber are abetting the spilling of Ukrainians’ blood.

Like Reebok shoes? They’re being used to stomp on Ukraine. Authentic Brands Group, which also owns Aeropostale, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers and Nine West, among others, is in the hall of shame.

Before you bite into a Cinnabon (or Carvel ice cream, Schlotzsky’s sandwich or Auntie Anne’s pretzel) consider that parent company Focus Brands is taking a bite out of democracy in Ukraine.

So is Subway. While selling you the All-American Club, it’s giving Ukrainians the Cold-Cock Combo by refusing to cut loose its 446 Russian franchises.

Several other household brands — Truvia and Diamond Crystal salt (Cargill), Avon cosmetics (Natura), LG appliances, ASUS laptops, Mission tortillas (Gruma) and Pirelli tires — are produced by companies on the shameful list.

Are you or your mutual fund invested in Halliburton, Baker Hughes or Schlumberger? Then you should know that these oil-services companies could deal a huge blow to Putin’s ability to wage war — but they choose profit instead.

Let’s name and shame all the others among the 33: advertising firms BBDO, DDB and Omnicom; accountant Baker Tilly; industrial companies Air Liquide, Air Products, Greif, IPG Photonics, Linde, Mettler Toledo, Nalco and Rockwool; French hotelier Accor and retailers Auchan, Decathlon and Leroy Merlin; German wholesaler Metro; cloud service Cloudflare; International Paper; and Sweden’s Oriflame Cosmetics.

An additional 72 multinationals have made only partial pullbacks from Russia, such as reducing current operations or holding off on new investments — actions Sonnenfeld calls “very questionable” and “smokescreens.” Included here: Dunkin Donuts, General Mills, Mondelez (Oreos and other Nabisco products), candymaker Mars, Procter & Gamble, Yum Brands (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell), Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott.

more here

I guess the sanctions we've put in place don't stop any of that. If not, why not?

If we can sue people to stop abortion or teaching about gender, shouldn't we be able to sue these companies and their owners and operators to stop their support of war crimes?

How about sabotage and vandalism?

Nah, let the market decide. Amiright?

But that would require punishing these folks in the marketplace. And that's just too much to ask of most Americans.

I guess the sanctions we've put in place don't stop any of that. If not, why not?

If we can sue people to stop abortion or teaching about gender, shouldn't we be able to sue these companies and their owners and operators to stop their support of war crimes?

But that would require punishing these folks in the marketplace. And that's just too much to ask of most Americans.
How about our own Secretary of the Treasury? I'm guessing that $17 Billion helps

Reactions: goldmom

I'm not sure that penalizing the companies that have facilities/locations/employees located in Russia is really an effective way to penalize Russia itself. In this case it's hurting American companies, and (presumably) innocent Russian employees.

If it's an American company that has a factory in Russia, making weapons for the Russian army, then I get it. But I don't know that Subway and Cinnabon are really doing much to support Russian war crimes.

Wouldn't encouraging American companies to abandon their investments in Russia actually help the Russian government? It would allow them to claim and then operate or sell the assets, and keep the revenues.

Are they really "funding Putin's war"? What happens to the employees of those companies?
That's worth a discussion. What do you think happens if those companies cut ties with Russia. Do their offices, outlets and facilities here lay off a lot of people?

If so, can we cushion that somehow?

Or should we just say "go ahead and do business as usual"with a nation we are accusing of war crimes?

We Americans are generally reluctant to help each other out, so raising taxes to help laid off people is unlikely to make it through Congress. Even if those layoffs are a product of our efforts to end the Ukraine war.

As the messaging ages on the war, and we have to pay for inflation and fuel costs, in particular, will we see the early willingness to pay more decline? That would be my guess.

My solution: nationalize any company that hasn't cut those ties by the end of March.

Imagine all the gnashing of teeth, and the trucker convoys. It will be such fun.

I think I disagree with this. Are the Russian employees destined to suffer because Putin is crazy?

That's worth a discussion. What do you think happens if those companies cut ties with Russia. Do their offices, outlets and facilities here lay off a lot of people?

If so, can we cushion that somehow?

Or should we just say "go ahead and do business as usual"with a nation we are accusing of war crimes?

We Americans are generally reluctant to help each other out, so raising taxes to help laid off people is unlikely to make it through Congress. Even if those layoffs are a product of our efforts to end the Ukraine war.

As the messaging ages on the war, and we have to pay for inflation and fuel costs, in particular, will we see the early willingness to pay more decline? That would be my guess.

My solution: nationalize any company that hasn't cut those ties by the end of March.

Imagine all the gnashing of teeth, and the trucker convoys. It will be such fun.
"Nationalize" a company? What constitutional basis is there for that? That would certainly be a Pandora's box that I wouldn't want to see opened. While it may be popular in this case, where would it stop? Who gets to decide if the cause is righteous?

"Nationalize" a company? What constitutional basis is there for that? That would certainly be a Pandora's box that I wouldn't want to see opened. While it may be popular in this case, where would it stop? Who gets to decide if the cause is righteous?
Please, that wasn't serious. Or at least mostly not serious.

But do you really think the constitution prevents the national government shutting down or confiscating companies doing business against an aggressive enemy?

Sadly, we have one party in this country that can be counted on to defend the god-given right of corporations to engage in treason. For the right price.

how should we deal with eu countries and their corporations that continue to buy russian oil and gas?

I think I disagree with this. Are the Russian employees destined to suffer because Putin is crazy?
That's sort of like arguing we shouldn't lock up a wife beater or child abuser because without his income his family could suffer.

When we are talking about US workers, we could make provisions for them - extended unemployment and whatever. But I have no good answer about how to protect Russian workers from the blowback from the actions of their own leaders.

The sanctions we have already put in place are doubtless hurting average Russians - or soon will - no matter how often we publicize the confiscation of an oligarch's yacht.

Last edited:

But do you really think the constitution prevents the national government shutting down or confiscating companies doing business against an aggressive enemy?

Sadly, we have one party in this country that can be counted on to defend the god-given right of corporations to engage in treason. For the right price.
Let's start with the 4th Amendment.

The problem with most of these companies is knowing what to boycott. Boycott General Mills? You might buy a store brand that's made by...General Mills. Boycott Authentic Brands Group. People don't shop there...but people do buy Aeropostale, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers and Nine West. And there are more brands just under that one name.

I get it and I'm in favor of it but it won't be easy to identify all the relevant brands.

Put teeth into our sanctions, and add those corps to the list.
Sounds good in theory and might even be justified but we are talking about countries like germany. doing what you suggest basically would be putting russia and germany in one bucket and handing over the bucket to china to exploit. make no mistake this war may be portrayed and positioned like a russia ukraine thing but all roads finally lead to china.

The problem with most of these companies is knowing what to boycott. Boycott General Mills? You might buy a store brand that's made by...General Mills. Boycott Authentic Brands Group. People don't shop there...but people do buy Aeropostale, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers and Nine West. And there are more brands just under that one name.

I get it and I'm in favor of it but it won't be easy to identify all the relevant brands.
Exactly right. The list is long, and just knowing the parent company doesn't equip you to be effective.

And, as you say, the generics and store brands made by these bad actors may still get past your radar.

We need a good app. And we need to beware of apps made by the bad guys.

Even if you get enough decent Americans on board, it's still hard. But we should try.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
That's sort of like arguing we shouldn't lock up a wife beater or child abuser because without his income his family could suffer.

When we are talking about US workers, we could make provisions for them - extended unemployment and whatever. But I have no good answer about how to protect Russian workers from the blowback from the actions of their own leaders.

The sanctions we have already put in place are doubtless hurting average Russians - or soon will - no matter how often we publicize the confiscation of an oligarch's yacht.
That is not sort of like that at all. What an absurd notion.

Otherwise I agree the Russian citizen is likely already suffering. However, I felt the Koch explanation was reasonable. Why fire the workers and give everything over to the government that you are supposedly trying to hurt. I don't know the answer.

I'm not sure that penalizing the companies that have facilities/locations/employees located in Russia is really an effective way to penalize Russia itself. In this case it's hurting American companies, and (presumably) innocent Russian employees.

If it's an American company that has a factory in Russia, making weapons for the Russian army, then I get it. But I don't know that Subway and Cinnabon are really doing much to support Russian war crimes.

Wouldn't encouraging American companies to abandon their investments in Russia actually help the Russian government? It would allow them to claim and then operate or sell the assets, and keep the revenues.

I'm all for making life in Russia hell until they pull out Ukraine.

So I would prefer if private companies suspend their operations in Russia.

Yum (Taco Bell/KFC) announced that they’re suspending sales at their Russian outlets over the weekend I believe.

Putin has announced that industries “abandoned” by foreign companies will be nationalized. That’s a tall order.

Yum (Taco Bell/KFC) announced that they’re suspending sales at their Russian outlets over the weekend I believe.

Putin has announced that industries “abandoned” by foreign companies will be nationalized. That’s a tall order.
Keeping Taco Bell open might be a better option. Gut rot 😉

Reactions: tarheelbybirth

Putin is certifiable.

War criminal.

200.gif

Reactions: whatsup13579er

Stop buying from these companies. They’re funding Putin’s war.​

Some 400 U.S. and other multinational firms have pulled out of Russia, either permanently or temporarily, according to Yale’s Jeffrey Sonnenfeld, who has kept the authoritative list of corporate actions in Russia. Oil companies (BP, Shell, ExxonMobil) and tech companies (Dell, IBM, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter) led the way, and many others (McDonald’s, Starbucks, Coca-Cola) eventually followed.

But, according to Sonnenfeld, there are, at the other extreme, 33 companies (as of Wednesday afternoon) that form a “hall of shame,” defying demands that they exit Russia or reduce their activities there.

Those who want to stop Russia’s murderous attack against Ukraine should stop investing in or buying the products of these companies.

Koch Industries, whose owners gave to right-wing causes for years, is now financing Putin’s war. The people who make Brawny paper towels, Dixie cups, Quilted Northern toilet paper, Vanity Fair napkins and Georgia-Pacific lumber are abetting the spilling of Ukrainians’ blood.

Like Reebok shoes? They’re being used to stomp on Ukraine. Authentic Brands Group, which also owns Aeropostale, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers and Nine West, among others, is in the hall of shame.

Before you bite into a Cinnabon (or Carvel ice cream, Schlotzsky’s sandwich or Auntie Anne’s pretzel) consider that parent company Focus Brands is taking a bite out of democracy in Ukraine.

So is Subway. While selling you the All-American Club, it’s giving Ukrainians the Cold-Cock Combo by refusing to cut loose its 446 Russian franchises.

Several other household brands — Truvia and Diamond Crystal salt (Cargill), Avon cosmetics (Natura), LG appliances, ASUS laptops, Mission tortillas (Gruma) and Pirelli tires — are produced by companies on the shameful list.

Are you or your mutual fund invested in Halliburton, Baker Hughes or Schlumberger? Then you should know that these oil-services companies could deal a huge blow to Putin’s ability to wage war — but they choose profit instead.

Let’s name and shame all the others among the 33: advertising firms BBDO, DDB and Omnicom; accountant Baker Tilly; industrial companies Air Liquide, Air Products, Greif, IPG Photonics, Linde, Mettler Toledo, Nalco and Rockwool; French hotelier Accor and retailers Auchan, Decathlon and Leroy Merlin; German wholesaler Metro; cloud service Cloudflare; International Paper; and Sweden’s Oriflame Cosmetics.

An additional 72 multinationals have made only partial pullbacks from Russia, such as reducing current operations or holding off on new investments — actions Sonnenfeld calls “very questionable” and “smokescreens.” Included here: Dunkin Donuts, General Mills, Mondelez (Oreos and other Nabisco products), candymaker Mars, Procter & Gamble, Yum Brands (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell), Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott.

more here

Does the cold cock combo have the cock meat sandwich?

You're an idiot if you think either side gives a shit about 99% of Americans...

ADVERTISEMENT