ADVERTISEMENT

Story on birth tourism

Originally posted by ClarindaA's:
Coming up on nbc nightly news. Need to shut this shit down it change the rules for citizenship.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
And retroactively as well. Damn pilgrims, thinking they could come into this country illegally and have them some anchor babies!

Originally posted by payton7622:

Coming up on nbc nightly news. Need to shut this shit down it change the rules for citizenship.

And retroactively as well. Damn pilgrims, thinking they could come into this country illegally and have them some anchor babies!
was there a government providing entitlements at that time. Stupid response by you.

Perhaps Payton7622 makes a decent point - we should all have to re-apply to be here. I'm pretty confident people will want me and my tax dollars.

Originally posted by Pepperman:

Perhaps Payton7622 makes a decent point - we should all have to re-apply to be here. I'm pretty confident people will want me and my tax dollars.
that would be ok

So does this mean you don't believe in applying for citizenship? That anyone who shows up is a citizen?

And is there another country on earth that has 'birth citizenship'?

Originally posted by Metuo Accipiter:

So does this mean you don't believe in applying for citizenship? That anyone who shows up is a citizen?

He was trying to be cute, but instead looks like a dolt.

Considering the responses in this thread seem more interested in insults than debate, this is probably pointless. But what the hell . . .

Yes, there are another countries in the world that give 'birth citizenship'. One is directly to the north of us. As for my 'cute' remark, it was meant to raise in important question: who can be classified as a citizen if the first 'blood' example of it were not citizens when they got here? Must everyone trace their heritage back to the time of the Pilgrims? The Declaration of Independence? The Constitution? How many generations must we go back? Just having our parents as citizens is enough, but many of those 'lines' of citizenship only began because of being born in this country. For a country born (see what i did there?) from immigrants, built by immigrants, and expanded by immigrants, getting too technical with who classifies as a citizen (you really believe we should have to apply?) could lead to some unintended consequences.

For the record, this is my opinion. If that upsets you to the point that you feel it necessary to call me names, have at it. To me, Constitutional amendments (which such a switch would take, I think) should minimize confusion, not add to it and I haven't seen any ideas that does the former.

Considering the responses in this thread seem more interested in insults than debate, this is probably pointless.  But what the hell . . .

And retroactively as well.  Damn pilgrims, thinking they could come into this country illegally and have them some anchor babies!
So does this mean you don't believe in applying for citizenship?  That anyone who shows up is a citizen?

Yes, there are another countries in the world that give 'birth citizenship'.  One is directly to the north of us.  As for my 'cute' remark, it was meant to raise in important question:  who can be classified as a citizen if the first 'blood' example of it were not citizens when they got here?  Must everyone trace their heritage back to the time of the Pilgrims?  The Declaration of Independence?  The Constitution?  How many generations must we go back?  Just having our parents as citizens is enough, but many of those 'lines' of citizenship only began because of being born in this country.  For a country born (see what i did there?) from immigrants, built by immigrants, and expanded by immigrants, getting too technical with who classifies as a citizen (you really believe we should have to apply?) could lead to some unintended consequences.

For the record, this is my opinion. If that upsets you to the point that you feel it necessary to call me names, have at it.  To me, Constitutional amendments (which such a switch would take, I think) should minimize confusion, not add to it and I haven't seen any ideas that does the former.

Do we or do we not already have laws on the books that defines these issues? Serious question.

I think we should add an amendment that states that a child born to a mother here illegally, or while vacationing here with the intent of giving birth here, shall not be considered a citizen.

Also, Payton, there was legal immigration back when our ancestors came here....still is today.
And there was illegal immigration as well . . . still is today. Again, how does someone prove their citizenship? Their parent's citizenship status? How does that get proven? If we find out that the first immigrant within a bloodline came here illegally, does that prove nobody in the line should be considered citizens? Again, I'm not suggesting I have the answers (I don't), I'm simply worried that there are many more problems than solutions that get produced when tackling from this a position of 'applying' for citizenship. And then there's the whole amendment thing . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT