ADVERTISEMENT

Story on Cullan Schriever & Anthony Cassioppi, who both win Junior Freestyle National Titles

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The Des Moines Register/HawkCentral keep knocking their wrestling coverage out of the park.

Some excerpts from a story from this afternoon, July 17, 2018:

Cullan Schriever, the rising junior-to-be won a junior men’s freestyle national title at 113 pounds on Tuesday, July 17, in Fargo, North Dakota.

“This one means more,” Schriever told the Register. “At the junior level, every match is a dogfight. If you aren’t ready, you’ll get beat. It’s tougher to win.”

The junior freestyle and Greco-Roman championships are considered some of the toughest high school tournaments in the country, and Schriever came ready this week. He went 6-0, outscoring his opponents 65-27. He won three times by technical fall, and produced two solid 8-6 victories en route to Tuesday afternoon’s final against California’s Jonathan Prata (a 10-10 win on criteria).

Schriever is considered one of the top wrestling prospects of the 2020 recruiting class — Flowrestling ranks him No. 43 overall. His performance in Fargo reinforces that fact.

Reeves, Shapiro both fall in finals

Schriever was one of three wrestlers from Iowa to make Tuesday’s finals. Albia’s Aden Reeves (120 pounds) and West Des Moines Valley’s Joel Shapiro (182) also navigated their respective brackets to reach the finals.

Reeves, a previous All-American at both the cadet and junior levels and an Iowa State commit, lost by first-period fall against Wisconsin’s Eric Barnett. Barnett scored a takedown after locking Reeves up in a cradle, and readjusted his positioning to get the pin in 1 minute, 32 seconds.

Shapiro, a future Iowa State wrestler and two-time Iowa state champion, ran into a buzzsaw in Illinois’s Jack Jessen, a Northwestern signee. Jessen rolled up Shapiro in an 11-0 technical fall in less than three minutes.

Nelson Brands

Brands, a three-time state champ for West and future Iowa Hawkeye, placed third at 160. He reached the round of 16, where he fell to future Illini wrestler Danny Braunagel, the eventual champion. Brands then rolled up six wins on the backside by a combined 49-4.

Anthony Cassioppi

Anthony Cassioppi, a future Hawkeye competing for Illinois, blew through the field at 285 pounds to win a junior freestyle national title. Cassioppi went 6-0 and allowed just two points while scoring 51. All of his wins were either by tech or by fall. It was like watching a really grown man among other young men.

Some video:

Cullan Schriever

636674405040353474-Schriever.png

Mason City's Cullan Schriever competed at the Junior men's freestyle national championships in Fargo, North Dakota, this week. Schriever, a rising-junior and two-time state champion, won a national title at 113 pounds.(Photo: Bret Peterson, IAWrestle/Special to the Register)

Link to FULL Story: https://desmoinesregister.com/story...stling-mason-city-cullan-schriever/792527002/

Last edited:
Where do we stand with Schriever?

Also, what is his ceiling? Higher then Teske?

Where do we stand with Schriever?

Also, what is his ceiling? Higher then Teske?

Well this is his second Fargo title...he won a Cadet plus won last year’s Super 32. I think Teske was a Fargo finalist but that’s it...someone can correct me if I’m wrong. So his creds are better so far. I would have to look real hard at Robert Howard from NJ and a few other guys first but CS is legit.

Well this is his second Fargo title...he won a Cadet plus won last year’s Super 32. I think Teske was a Fargo finalist but that’s it...someone can correct me if I’m wrong. So his creds are better so far. I would have to look real hard at Robert Howard from NJ and a few other guys first but CS is legit.

If Howard can get up to 141, Schriever at 125 and Rathjen at 133 wouldn’t be bad at all.

I hope Shriever loves wresting like Spence and there is no worry about burnout and he can keep his arms healthy. I’m a believer now.

I also hope Rathjen keeps improving, he’s going to be a beast. He just needs to put it all together. I would be surprised if he loses another match in high school unless he runs into my boy. J to the K.

"Gilman/Clark > McDonough/Ramos"
-Thomas Gilman
In hindsight it’s actually fairly close.
1 champ vs 3 champs
7AA vs 6AA* (McD would’ve AA if healthy, Id like to think he’d also win the whole thing but not a guarantee)
It’d be interesting to look at career # of losses

Reactions: DirkTang1
In hindsight it’s actually fairly close.
1 champ vs 3 champs
7AA vs 6AA* (McD would’ve AA if healthy, Id like to think he’d also win the whole thing but not a guarantee)
It’d be interesting to look at career # of losses

To fully Break it down:

Gilman-107-12 DNP(but would most likely have AA'd if not sitting behind the other part of the combo),4,2,3 all at 125.
Clark-98-15 5th(at 125),2,2,1

McDonough-122-9 1,2,1,R12
Ramos-120-14 R12,3,2,1

To fully Break it down:

Gilman-107-12 DNP(but would most likely have AA'd if not sitting behind the other part of the combo),4,2,3 all at 125.
Clark-98-15 5th(at 125),2,2,1

McDonough-122-9 1,2,1,R12
Ramos-120-14 R12,3,2,1

That clears things up a bit. McD and Ramos are better on paper. How many points did they score at Nationals?

The Des Moines Register/HawkCentral keep knocking their wrestling coverage out of the park.

Cullan Schriever, the rising junior-to-be won a junior men’s freestyle national title at 113 pounds on Tuesday, July 17, in Fargo, North Dakota.

“This one means more,” Schriever told the Register. “At the junior level, every match is a dogfight. If you aren’t ready, you’ll get beat. It’s tougher to win.”

The junior freestyle and Greco-Roman championships are considered some of the toughest high school tournaments in the country, and Schriever came ready this week. He went 6-0, outscoring his opponents 65-27. He won three times by technical fall, and produced two solid 8-6 victories en route to Tuesday afternoon’s final against California’s Jonathan Prata (a 10-10 win on criteria).

Schriever is considered one of the top wrestling prospects of the 2020 recruiting class — Flowrestling ranks him No. 43 overall. His performance in Fargo reinforces that fact.

Schriever was one of three wrestlers from Iowa to make Tuesday’s finals. Albia’s Aden Reeves (120 pounds) and West Des Moines Valley’s Joel Shapiro (182) also navigated their respective brackets to reach the finals.

Reeves, a previous All-American at both the cadet and junior levels and an Iowa State commit, lost by first-period fall against Wisconsin’s Eric Barnett. Barnett scored a takedown after locking Reeves up in a cradle, and readjusted his positioning to get the pin in 1 minute, 32 seconds.

Shapiro, a future Iowa State wrestler and two-time Iowa state champion, ran into a buzzsaw in Illinois’s Jack Jessen, a Northwestern signee. Jessen rolled up Shapiro in an 11-0 technical fall in less than three minutes.

Nelson Brands

Brands, a three-time state champ for West and future Iowa Hawkeye, placed third at 160. He reached the round of 16, where he fell to future Illini wrestler Danny Braunagel, the eventual champion. Brands then rolled up six wins on the backside by a combined 49-4.

Anthony Cassioppi

Anthony Cassioppi, a future Hawkeye competing for Illinois, blew through the field at 285 pounds to win a junior freestyle national title. Cassioppi went 6-0 and allowed just two points while scoring 51. All of his wins were either by tech or by fall. It was like watching a really grown man among other young men.

Some video:

Cullan Schriever

Mason City's Cullan Schriever competed at the Junior men's freestyle national championships in Fargo, North Dakota, this week. Schriever, a rising-junior and two-time state champion, won a national title at 113 pounds.(Photo: Bret Peterson, IAWrestle/Special to the Register)

Link to FULL Story: https://desmoinesregister.com/story...stling-mason-city-cullan-schriever/792527002/

Cass would make a great cattle rancher! Lassoing and tying up a hog would be no problem for a Cass!

Reactions: Franisdaman
Big factor is Rathjen is a multi sport kid. He plays football so I see him as a wrestler who can improve when he decides to go full wrestling. Think has most potential to improve out of kids in the state.

I hope Shriever loves wresting like Spence and there is no worry about burnout and he can keep his arms healthy. I’m a believer now.

I also hope Rathjen keeps improving, he’s going to be a beast. He just needs to put it all together. I would be surprised if he loses another match in high school unless he runs into my boy. J to the K.

Gotta figure it's between Iowa and Iowa St.
I'll bet KD throws a full ride at CS, but I will be extremely surprised if they get serious consideration . At least until the Clones actually get positive results in the lower weights.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
Finally, if you use ONLY the years they wrestled as tandems:

Gilman-91-9 4,2,3------15.5,21.5,17.5=54.5
Clark-76-11 2,2,1-------17,17,20=54

McD-85-8 2,1,R12---20,26,3=49
Ramos-88-12 R12,3,2---3.5,17.5,20=41

So, if you pick the most favorable parameters, technically the Gilman Clark "tandem" was better for Iowa!

I'll bet KD throws a full ride at CS, but I will be extremely surprised if they get serious consideration . At least until the Clones actually get positive results in the lower weights.
I feel Iowa will get Cullen and ISU will get Ayala.

Finally, if you use ONLY the years they wrestled as tandems:

Gilman-91-9 4,2,3------15.5,21.5,17.5=54.5
Clark-76-11 2,2,1-------17,17,20=54

McD-85-8 2,1,R12---20,26,3=49
Ramos-88-12 R12,3,2---3.5,17.5,20=41

So, if you pick the most favorable parameters, technically the Gilman Clark "tandem" was better for Iowa!
McD all by himself wins any argument statistical or otherwise. He was one leg and one shoulder away from being a 4 Timer.

McD all by himself wins any argument statistical or otherwise. He was one leg and one shoulder away from being a 4 Timer.

Giant fan of McD and I actually agree. I was just showing that numbers can be manipulated to change arguments.

Reactions: el dub
I feel Iowa will get Cullen and ISU will get Ayala.
If Howard comes to Iowa as anything bigger than 125, I totally agree. And if both Cullan and Ayala are at the same weight... I'd take Schriever first, every day of the week. But if Teske shunned ISU... I think Ayala will do the same thing.

Last edited:

Nelson Brands

Anthony Cassioppi

Some video:

Cullan Schriever

Agree that the Register’s wrestling coverage the past couple years has been outstanding, especially in Freco.

ADVERTISEMENT