ADVERTISEMENT

Stranger Things 3 (spoilers)

hawkeye54545

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2005
What did you think? I thought it was good. I don't think Hopper is dead as I think he is the American in the Russian prison. I did hate to see Billy die as I found him funny but can see how his character wouldn't fit going forward.

I was a kid about their age in that time frame so I think that connects this series a little more to me as I appreciate the nostalgia.

I am with you. My thought is that they mentioned that the Russians had some gates of their owns but none like the one in Hawkins. I'm guessing somehow the Russian gates allowed them to transport to Hawkins and build their base. Without that, even with the mall as a front I don't see how you could get a small army of armed Russians into small town Indiana without anyone noticing.

My thought is that either by accident or on purpose Hopper was transported back to Russia the same way they came in.

And plus honestly I think is role in the series is too important to just let him die if you plan on having a season 4.

Here is my question though. Does El get her powers back?

I am with you. My thought is that they mentioned that the Russians had some gates of their owns but none like the one in Hawkins. I'm guessing somehow the Russian gates allowed them to transport to Hawkins and build their base. Without that, even with the mall as a front I don't see how you could get a small army of armed Russians into small town Indiana without anyone noticing.

My thought is that either by accident or on purpose Hopper was transported back to Russia the same way they came in.

And plus honestly I think is role in the series is too important to just let him die if you plan on having a season 4.

Here is my question though. Does El get her powers back?

I would think she does. Paul Reisers character is back so I wonder if the Dr. Who worked with her will be as well

We binged it the night of the 4th. I thought it was the best, overall, of the three seasons, but the last episode drug on a bit too long, between the battle in the mall and the ending with the Byers and El moving.

I think we'll see Hopper again, maybe a connection with El and she does that dream thing she did with Billy, the he ends up rescued somehow.

Did anyone catch the plan to turn El into a Lesbo? NTTAWWT.

I’d wager that’s where they’re heading.

Max, while wearing her rainbow shirt, tells El that she needs to leave boys alone and be with her own species from there out. Then a couple minutes later show her memory of the rainbow.

Not very subtle, IMO.

We also liked it. From what I read, the producer says they will be back for a 4th season but it isn't official from Netflix yet.
Don't think they have a show without the sheriff and El having her powers. But showing El trying to cope as a normal human being may be part of the plot for next season.

We binged it the night of the 4th. I thought it was the best, overall, of the three seasons, but the last episode drug on a bit too long, between the battle in the mall and the ending with the Byers and El moving.

I think we'll see Hopper again, maybe a connection with El and she does that dream thing she did with Billy, the he ends up rescued somehow.

If she gets back her powers I could see her using that an accidentally stumbling on to Hopper in a Russian prison and plotting a way to free him.

I was kind of surprised a bit by Billy's redemption arc. But it did make his death have a much more emotional impact.

Max, while wearing her rainbow shirt, tells El that she needs to leave boys alone and be with her own species from there out. Then a couple minutes later show her memory of the rainbow.

Not very subtle, IMO.

I don't think they are going to make El a homosexual. That wouldn't make a great deal of sense after all of the time her and Mike were dating and making out. Plus in season two she saw Mike with Max (before they were even really a couple) and got insanely jealous and pushed Max from her skateboard. It would be really hard to walk back from all of that and say "Oh she likes girls now"

Will might go gay though.

I'm sort of curious if Suzie won't somehow have a bigger role. I say that because I thought we would hear her voice on the radio at some point, but I was surprised they took the time to cast an actress for her. That's something they didn't really have to do. To me that says she might come into play in season 4.

We also liked it. From what I read, the producer says they will be back for a 4th season but it isn't official from Netflix yet.
Don't think they have a show without the sheriff and El having her powers. But showing El trying to cope as a normal human being may be part of the plot for next season.

I think you could do El without powers and trying to deal with that. But I don't think you could do the show without Hopper. Taking him out of the series leaves too much of a hole. He's kind of the party's leader, he sort of fits into the dad role for them when they are fighting demigorgons (especially El), Joyce needs someone to have sexual tension with and he's a big part of the comedic relief.

Stranger Things has been one of Netflix's top original series. I think a season 4 is a foregone conclusion. Honestly they would probably give the producers as many seasons as they want. Although I did read the producers where only planning on 4 maybe 5 seasons. But they will get as many as they want unless somehow everyone just loses interest in it.

If she gets back her powers I could see her using that an accidentally stumbling on to Hopper in a Russian prison and plotting a way to free him.

I was kind of surprised a bit by Billy's redemption arc. But it did make his death have a much more emotional impact.

I don't think they are going to make El a homosexual. That wouldn't make a great deal of sense after all of the time her and Mike were dating and making out. Plus in season two she saw Mike with Max (before they were even really a couple) and got insanely jealous and pushed Max from her skateboard. It would be really hard to walk back from all of that and say "Oh she likes girls now"

Will might go gay though.

I'm sort of curious if Suzie won't somehow have a bigger role. I say that because I thought we would hear her voice on the radio at some point, but I was surprised they took the time to cast an actress for her. That's something they didn't really have to do. To me that says she might come into play in season 4.

I think you could do El without powers and trying to deal with that. But I don't think you could do the show without Hopper. Taking him out of the series leaves too much of a hole. He's kind of the party's leader, he sort of fits into the dad role for them when they are fighting demigorgons (especially El), Joyce needs someone to have sexual tension with and he's a big part of the comedic relief.

Stranger Things has been one of Netflix's top original series. I think a season 4 is a foregone conclusion. Honestly they would probably give the producers as many seasons as they want. Although I did read the producers where only planning on 4 maybe 5 seasons. But they will get as many as they want unless somehow everyone just loses interest in it.

I'm thinking the homosexual storyline will be covered by Robin. Maybe her and Steve giving each other dating tips or something.

I just can't imagine that they won't bring back Hopper. I read a thing that suggested he's either "the American" or he's in the Upside Down.

As for El's powers, I think she'll get them back eventually, but that part of the next season will be her struggling to regain them along with trying to learn to be a teenage girl.

I could see up to 5 seasons. Spend Season 4 with a new twist on the Upside Down/finding Hopper/El's issues/"the American", then wrapping everything up in Season 5, maybe in a couple of years as the kids get ready to go off to college.

I'm thinking the homosexual storyline will be covered by Robin. Maybe her and Steve giving each other dating tips or something.

I just can't imagine that they won't bring back Hopper. I read a thing that suggested he's either "the American" or he's in the Upside Down.

As for El's powers, I think she'll get them back eventually, but that part of the next season will be her struggling to regain them along with trying to learn to be a teenage girl.

I could see up to 5 seasons. Spend Season 4 with a new twist on the Upside Down/finding Hopper/El's issues/"the American", then wrapping everything up in Season 5, maybe in a couple of years as the kids get ready to go off to college.

I read that article too I think.

I think it mentioned a rule of "if you didn't see the body it's not real". In a series like this I would say that's likely accurate.

I read that article too I think.

I think it mentioned a rule of "if you didn't see the body it's not real". In a series like this I would say that's likely accurate.

It's kind of the comic book rule, like I tell my wife about when watching Marvel movies. Everyone dies, the important characters die numerous times.

What did you think? I thought it was good. I don't think Hopper is dead as I think he is the American in the Russian prison. I did hate to see Billy die as I found him funny but can see how his character wouldn't fit going forward.

I was a kid about their age in that time frame so I think that connects this series a little more to me as I appreciate the nostalgia.

You forgot to mention how hot Mike's mom, Cara Buono, looked and was about to get it on and then her morals kicked in.... That could have moved it up to a R rating.

Not very subtle, IMO.

You're reading too much into it, I seriously doubt they are setting El up to be a lesbian.

MANY girls at the time had rainbow in general and Rainbow Brite in particular shirts, posters, trapper keepers and sheets. In fact my wife had that exact bed sheet (the one with all of the rainbows). In the 80s, the rainbow wasn't 99% identified with everything gay. It was technically used as a gay pride symbol dating back to 1978 but by 1985 I don't think it was widespread outside of maybe San Fran. Out of curiousity, I put in gay pride parade 1985 and after the first four pages of Google images I didn't see a single rainbow flag. Just blue and red decorations in the American parades and a lot of pink (as it looks like the pink triangle was more commonly used at that time).

6812896267_e7b2665aa6_b.jpg

093_PriestsGayParade03.jpg

6812896801_ed847c0f87_b.jpg

5b157fbd2000006505b93597.jpeg

6812893469_bd12011c4d_b.jpg

Not a single rainbow to be seen in 1985 gay pride parades.

And I realize the rainbow is now so commonly associated with gay pride that I can't even see a real life rainbow without being reminded of it, but at the time period Season 3 is set it didn't mean anything beyond "girly" to most people probably even most gay people.

They were going for girly not stinky boys in their 85 imagery when in the background for Max and El. These were the quintessential mid to late 80s tween and young teen straight girl icons.
72eec77842c844b206050dbf7e01afd5.jpg

rs_600x600-160329123233-600-Lisa-Frank-Unicorn.jm.32916.jpg

16520324778_675b683534_b.jpg

Now those just look "gay” and no image conscious tween girl would be caught dead with the above as it seems like the modern tweens just dress like the modern teens and twentysomethings. But Lisa Frank and rainbow everything was “to die for” with the girls, tweens and early teens during that time.

And the “Bible” for Stranger Things back when it was called Montauk does not say that El will be gay, in fact it sets up that she is the romance for Mike. And almost everything in that Montauk “Series Bible” has been accurate EXCEPT that the conspiracy theorist didn’t show up until season two, the science teacher isn’t an “Indiana Joneseque rock star of science” but a simple nerd and they didn’t jump 10 years forward for season two and come back with the kids as young adults ala It. But all of the character and plot descriptions have been dead on and El is NOT a lesbian or bisexual.

Will on the other hand is 100% gay in the Montauk Bible. It’s only been “hinted at” (albeit very strongly with Mike this season saying “It’s not my fault you don’t like girls”) in the tv series but per the Bible Will is 100% gay.

Reactions: noleclone2
You're reading too much into it, I seriously doubt they are setting El up to be a lesbian.

MANY girls at the time had rainbow in general and Rainbow Brite in particular shirts, posters, trapper keepers and sheets. In fact my wife had that exact bed sheet (the one with all of the rainbows). In the 80s, the rainbow wasn't 99% identified with everything gay. It was technically used as a gay pride symbol dating back to 1978 but by 1985 I don't think it was widespread outside of maybe San Fran. Out of curiousity, I put in gay pride parade 1985 and after the first four pages of Google images I didn't see a single rainbow flag. Just blue and red decorations in the American parades and a lot of pink (as it looks like the pink triangle was more commonly used at that time).

And I realize the rainbow is now so commonly associated with gay pride that I can't even see a real life rainbow without being reminded of it, but at the time period Season 3 is set it didn't mean anything beyond "girly" to most people probably even most gay people.

They were going for girly not stinky boys in their 85 imagery when in the background for Max and El. These were the quintessential mid to late 80s tween and young teen straight girl icons.

Now those just look "gay” and no image conscious tween girl would be caught dead with the above as it seems like the modern tweens just dress like the modern teens and twentysomethings. But Lisa Frank and rainbow everything was “to die for” with the girls, tweens and early teens during that time.

And the “Bible” for Stranger Things back when it was called Montauk does not say that El will be gay, in fact it sets up that she is the romance for Mike. And almost everything in that Montauk “Series Bible” has been accurate EXCEPT that the conspiracy theorist didn’t show up until season two, the science teacher isn’t an “Indiana Joneseque rock star of science” but a simple nerd and they didn’t jump 10 years forward for season two and come back with the kids as young adults ala It. But all of the character and plot descriptions have been dead on and El is NOT a lesbian or bisexual.

Will on the other hand is 100% gay in the Montauk Bible. It’s only been “hinted at” (albeit very strongly with Mike this season saying “It’s not my fault you don’t like girls”) in the tv series but per the Bible Will is 100% gay.

You do know this show was made well after 1985, right?

You do know this show was made well after 1985, right?

Sure but its imagery is iconic to the time. You seeing two girls sleeping in rainbow sheets now means they’ll be scissoring in seconds. But in the 80s that’s just innocent straight tween girl fashion and a typical sleepover.

I’m sure someone will ask the producers on a panel if that means they’re implying lesbianism on El’s part as the rainbow is 100% gay identified now and I’m sure they’ll say no.

Sure but its imagery is iconic to the time. You seeing two girls sleeping in rainbow sheets now means they’ll be scissoring in seconds. But in the 80s that’s just innocent straight tween girl fashion and a typical sleepover.

I’m sure someone will ask the producers on a panel if that means they’re implying lesbianism on El’s part as the rainbow is 100% gay identified now and I’m sure they’ll say no.

I’m not saying she or they representing themselves with it. I’m saying it’s sub-context by the director.

I’m not saying she or they representing themselves with it. I’m saying it’s sub-context by the director.

Yeah. It was my favorite season. Really enjoyed it. The acting and story arc were just great. Look forward to Season 4. By the way, fun fact the girl who played Robin is Ethan Hawke’s / Uma Thurman’s daughter. Makes me feel old.

I wanna know what’s wrong with the curly-haired kids front teeth?

Have you seen the first episode of the series? It's some genetic disorder that severely delays development of his permanent teeth. The actor actually has the disorder so they just added it to the character of Dusty as well.

I liked season 3 although I'm a bit miffed as to how the US government would allow such inept Russian stooges into the country. I have no idea how a massive secret base could be built underneath a shopping mall with nobody noticing. But then, gaps in logic like that were common in '80's movies so in a way it fits right into the theme of the show.

Netflix has already confirmed a season 4. Obviously they are going to continue to explore El's powers and I also believe that Hopper is still alive. I don't know if season 4 will be the last season but at some point we are going to see the Upside Down start to truly invade our reality and how the world reacts to it.

I liked season 3 although I'm a bit miffed as to how the US government would allow such inept Russian stooges into the country. I have no idea how a massive secret base could be built underneath a shopping mall with nobody noticing. But then, gaps in logic like that were common in '80's movies so in a way it fits right into the theme of the show.

You mean like how HS kids could get into a North Korean prison to save their military dads (I think they were SEALS) when the military couldn't? Or how a bunch of HS kids and a USAF Reserve COL could steal a couple of F-16s, fly them to the ME and perform a raid that save one's dad, who was shot down by the country they are invading?

Those kinds of leaps of logic?

You mean like how HS kids could get into a North Korean prison to save their military dads (I think they were SEALS) when the military couldn't? Or how a bunch of HS kids and a USAF Reserve COL could steal a couple of F-16s, fly them to the ME and perform a raid that save one's dad, who was shot down by the country they are invading?

Whoa!!!! Don’t you DARE disrespect the amazing rescue mission Doug and Chappy pulled off to save Col. Masters from death.

tenor.gif

Have you seen the first episode of the series? It's some genetic disorder that severely delays development of his permanent teeth. The actor actually has the disorder so they just added it to the character of Dusty as well.

Netflix has already confirmed a season 4. Obviously they are going to continue to explore El's powers and I also believe that Hopper is still alive. I don't know if season 4 will be the last season but at some point we are going to see the Upside Down start to truly invade our reality and how the world reacts to it.
OK. I've seen all the seasons but I guess I missed the tooth explanation. Thank you, that clears it up for me. I just started the third season, so I hope I'm not disappointed, but it seems to be pretty good so far.

Did they tell us where Joyce, Will and Eleven are moving to?

No they didn’t. If you look at the original plans for the series the original outline for the series was for the characters from season one to go their separate ways and move away and then in season two they would fast forward ten years and similar to IT reunite as adults to recombat the Mindflayer. Obviously, they didn’t follow the original plan 100% but there are definitely some pieces that they’re sticking with.

Loved iron eagle

Reactions: SSG T

Not very subtle, IMO.
Nah, they already got Robin for that, unless they're gonna do the double switch so that she can end up with Steve.

No they didn’t. If you look at the original plans for the series the original outline for the series was for the characters from season one to go their separate ways and move away and then in season two they would fast forward ten years and similar to IT reunite as adults to recombat the Mindflayer. Obviously, they didn’t follow the original plan 100% but there are definitely some pieces that they’re sticking with.
Yeah, the kids are growing pretty quick now, so they could get away with moving the timeline ahead by a few years.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Within the context of the show, though, you do have to feel for Will as far as being able to develop relationships with others (girls or boys...and by that I mean outside of his immediate recognizable friends and family), because of the severe trauma he went through at such a young age.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

Even though the episode wasn't well-received, I don't think they teased there being others like Eleven out there as a one-off.

Even though the episode wasn't well-received, I don't think they teased there being others like Eleven out there as a one-off.

If nothing else, it leaves the door open to spin-offs. It all depends on where Joyce and co move to. If they end up in Chicago, they could definitely run into that girl again, possibly for Eleven to reach out to get help jump-starting her powers again.

Watching the first half of the 3rd season, I was comparing it to the previous two and I felt it was falling short. Season 1 was absolutely awesome and my favorite season. It had that element of horror/slasher flick, X-files, and 80's mish mash all wrapped into one. I felt season 3 in the beginning was falling short but it sure made up for it by the end. I hardly ever get emotional about films or shows but I have to admit, the room got a little dusty the last twenty minutes or so in the immediate aftermath of the Starcourt battle, the moving scene, and El reading Hopp's letter. Ok, I was practically in tears. Felt so bad for El. Hopp isn't dead, he's the American in the Russian prison. My theory is he was transported there through the rift, the same rift the Russians used to enter Hawkins and build their base. Can't wait for Season 4.

Steve is my favorite character and they are destroying him. He was so effing cool in Season 1, king of the school, and now they have really humbled his character. Falling behind not going to college with Purdue girl basically laughing in his face, falling for a girl who ends up being a lesbian. Still, he's cool as hell and my favorite character, they just need to bring him full circle and make him King Steve again. Of course, I am probably missing the point because Steve's character has evolved and none of that popularity BS is important, as he comes to understand. Still, Steve would get the hot chick, nice car, and be super successful in my version of the story.

Billy's story was a very interesting narrative on what spousal abuse and the divorce culture of the 80's did to kids. I don't know if a lot of people caught that. If you grew up in that era, terms like latch key kids and two Christmases were common to you. Movies like Kramer vs Kramer put a spotlight on divorced households. Billy was just a happy young kid and divorce and an abusive father turned him into an angry, bitter, psychopath teenager. In the end he was truly good and he sacrificed himself to save the others. Loved his story arc.

Watching the first half of the 3rd season, I was comparing it to the previous two and I felt it was falling short. Season 1 was absolutely awesome and my favorite season. It had that element of horror/slasher flick, X-files, and 80's mish mash all wrapped into one. I felt season 3 in the beginning was falling short but it sure made up for it by the end. I hardly ever get emotional about films or shows but I have to admit, the room got a little dusty the last twenty minutes or so in the immediate aftermath of the Starcourt battle, the moving scene, and El reading Hopp's letter. Ok, I was practically in tears. Felt so bad for El. Hopp isn't dead, he's the American in the Russian prison. My theory is he was transported there through the rift, the same rift the Russians used to enter Hawkins and build their base. Can't wait for Season 4.

Steve is my favorite character and they are destroying him. He was so effing cool in Season 1, king of the school, and now they have really humbled his character. Falling behind not going to college with Purdue girl basically laughing in his face, falling for a girl who ends up being a lesbian. Still, he's cool as hell and my favorite character, they just need to bring him full circle and make him King Steve again. Of course, I am probably missing the point because Steve's character has evolved and none of that popularity BS is important, as he comes to understand. Still, Steve would get the hot chick, nice car, and be super successful in my version of the story.

Billy's story was a very interesting narrative on what spousal abuse and the divorce culture of the 80's did to kids. I don't know if a lot of people caught that. If you grew up in that era, terms like latch key kids and two Christmases were common to you. Movies like Kramer vs Kramer put a spotlight on divorced households. Billy was just a happy young kid and divorce and an abusive father turned him into an angry, bitter, psychopath teenager. In the end he was truly good and he sacrificed himself to save the others. Loved his story arc.

I mostly agree with this. I didn't totally like how they handled the multiple story arcs. It didn't feel like they overlapped much compared to the 1st two seasons. For example, Dusty had barely any screentime with the rest of the gang because Steve and him had their Russian spy arc going. The arcs all made sense, it just seemed a little abrupt with how quickly they split off from each other.

I agree that it is probably Hopper at the Russian base, though I hope it isn't. If he is still alive, it takes a lot of the impact out of what was essentially his farewell letter to El. Hopefully they explain how the Russians did get to Hawkins, I'm not buying that they used the rift to get there...it's not a means of transportation from point a to point b based on how they've used it thus far.

I have enough questions that I wish there was a 5th season coming eventually. It feels like a lot that has to be answered in 8 or 9 episodes next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT