ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming Spence answers ?s...

Dont_Just_Dream

All-Conference
Nov 8, 2017
Spencer responded to some wrestling questions during his stream last night .... passing on the basics (not direct quotes), as I'm sure you all will enjoy.

(Surgery)
26 days out, still walking with a cane... just now able to sit in this (gaming) chair

6-8 months recovery

The surgery was about as awful as I expected it to be. I got surgery on both of them on the same day. It was terrible.

(Iowa-PSU dual)
Exciting dual to watch; frustrating as a competitor

One of our fans threw a beer can at Starocci, that's frustrating for me

(Future)
Technically not eligible for next season yet, but I should be.

Plan on coaching one day, yes. Plan on winning a lot more in wrestling first.

Absolutely plan to wrestle in the Olympics. That's the goal.

Definitely plan on staying in Iowa City for training.

I'm going to try to always be a Hawk!

(Gable's recent match)
Why are people mad about how he wrestled; if a grown man runs me out of bounds, and I get mad. If a grown man... OK, he pushed him... it's a combat sport. You've got to be a little tougher. He did nothing wrong. Gable Steveson is probably the best wrestler in the world.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this.

The one that stands out to me the most of course "Plan on Coaching one day, yes". First I've ever heard that he's interested in Coaching. Yes Please.

Don't ever let this young man get out of Iowa City until he retires for good.

Last edited:
Great to hear some updates on SL. Thanks for posting. Interesting that he brought up the beer can. Not that I ever questioned it but to me it really reinforces his buy in to the program, what the fan base means to it and everything about it. Hopefully a good sign that he will be around the program for a good long while.

Just being a winner on the mat doesn't necessariy make you a good or great coach. There are several other contributing factors too. Lee seems to possess at least most of them and quite likely all of them.
A deep hatred for losing is IMO a key coaching quality. It tends to motivate the individual to put the work in to prevent it from happening as much as possible.

Here is my fantasy future coaches. Head coach Spencer Lee, Assistant 1 Alex Marinelli, assistant 2 Big Cass or Kemdawg.

I think we’d have no problem recruiting with those guys on our bench. That’s great leadership as well.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
He did whoop his ass and seeing an assault can be alarming.

It’s impressive how dominate he can be when he’s in go mode.

What’s funny is that MP was trying to slow leak a stand up trying to take time off or to turn around at dive in on GS’s legs. GS pushed him and he went ass over tea kettle out of bounds. Embarrased, he came at GS clubbing his head…GS decided a maj was in order.

What’s funny is that MP was trying to slow leak a stand up trying to take time off or to turn around at dive in on GS’s legs. GS pushed him and he went ass over tea kettle out of bounds. Embarrased, he came at GS clubbing his head…GS decided a maj was in order.
Bull does some similar kind of stuff, which by some I’m sure is seen as dirty or extracurricular, but it’s don’t in bounds while they are still wrestling. It sends a message. You step in here with me, be prepared the whole time.

Reactions: johnyt9
Would you support the decision to immediately make Spencer Lee the head coach for his senior year and make Tom and Terry wrestle it out in best of 3 for the HWC head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: artradley
"I'm going to always try to be a Hawk"

Translated it means the ball is in Iowa's court when the time comes.

Just like every other Hawk that came thru the Program that gets into Coaching. Only so much room at The Inn, I'm sure that's what Spencer is alluding to, it's up to Iowa to make sure he stays.

I had always hoped we'd see Ironside or Mcllravy, but never really came to fruition. That's what happens when you're a beast, and Iowa has had a lot of them. They chose other endeavors, and good for them.

I think it would be best for Spencer to be an "assistant in waiting" for a couple of years, but when he says he's ready to be a Head Coach, you work out the details and call the reporter's for the press conference.

He is a gem, in just about every conceivable way, you do whatever it takes to make him happy (he's also a smart and reasonable young man IMO, so I don't think that negotiation would be extremely difficult, but that's just my opinion - the best of the best have options, and he most certainly will).

I thought Thomas Gilman wanted to always be a Hawkeye too but we know how that turned out
mariah-carey-i-dont-know-her-02.gif

I thought Thomas Gilman wanted to always be a Hawkeye too but we know how that turned out
Comparing Gilman's historical and future value to the program to Spencer's is like comparing a plastic ring from the coin machine to a priceless diamond with Gilman playing the role of the plastic ring. And if Gilman were to beat Spencer 10 times in a row I'd feel the same way.

No way Iowa let’s him walk, he is on the staff immediately after he is done competing.

Bumping who? Telford? Morningstar? Terry?

Having 3/4 coaches in the lower weights seems not ideal.

Bumping who? Telford? Morningstar? Terry?

Having 3/4 coaches in the lower weights seems not ideal.
Who the F cares. They’ll make it work.

Besides, Morningstar and Telford should have head coaching opportunities by then. Nobody wants to be a bridesmaid forever.

Reactions: MVPFAN
"I'm going to always try to be a Hawk"

Translated it means the ball is in Iowa's court when the time comes.

Just like every other Hawk that came thru the Program that gets into Coaching. Only so much room at The Inn, I'm sure that's what Spencer is alluding to, it's up to Iowa to make sure he stays.

I had always hoped we'd see Ironside or Mcllravy, but never really came to fruition. That's what happens when you're a beast, and Iowa has had a lot of them. They chose other endeavors, and good for them.

I think it would be best for Spencer to be an "assistant in waiting" for a couple of years, but when he says he's ready to be a Head Coach, you work out the details and call the reporter's for the press conference.

He is a gem, in just about every conceivable way, you do whatever it takes to make him happy (he's also a smart and reasonable young man IMO, so I don't think that negotiation would be extremely difficult, but that's just my opinion - the best of the best have options, and he most certainly will).
All true, and you can't let Spencer Lee wait too long as an assistant coach either. Look what happened to Gable (stolen from ISU) and Carl (also stolen from ISU).

Overall, college wrestlers just don't get much better than Spencer Lee, and that's not just about winning and titles.

Comparing Gilman's historical and future value to the program to Spencer's is like comparing a plastic ring from the coin machine to a priceless diamond with Gilman playing the role of the plastic ring. And if Gilman were to beat Spencer 10 times in a row I'd feel the same way.
Perfect analogy MVP.
I might add, Spencer also has more character in his ring finger than Gilman does his whole body.

Reactions: MVPFAN

I really liked Gilman when he was here. But a lot of people, even Hawk fans, did not because of his antics and his running off at the mouth from time to time.

Virtually nobody can say anything bad about how Spencer conducts himself on and off the mat.

All true, and you can't let Spencer Lee wait too long as an assistant coach either. Look what happened to Gable (stolen from ISU) and Carl (also stolen from ISU).

Overall, college wrestlers just don't get much better than Spencer Lee, and that's not just about winning and titles.
Iowa knows. 🙂 Blind faith in Gable, the Brands Brothers and Iowa Wrestling to get it right. These guys are around Spencer Lee every day, this can't be news to them. That countdown clock is already ticking, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT