ADVERTISEMENT

Strength and Conditioning Coach?

akaoni

HR All-State
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, IA
Have we hired a Strength and Conditioning coach to replace Rutt yet?

I feel like in this day and age it's really important to have someone with specific background and training to maximize our athlete's performance. Rutt was a perfect fit with his wrestling background, it would be nice to get another professional of his caliber to work with the team.

Anyone in the know have any info on this?

<<Have we hired a Strength and Conditioning coach to replace Rutt yet? >>

The University has some strict guidlines for posting of job --procedures etc. Its in process.

As a U of I employee I appreciate the administrative hurdles which need to be jumped through on job postings. I'm glad that we're in the process of getting someone in place.

For $40k I can't imagine how you get anybody that can provide more information about strength training than is readily available on the Internet.

I was shocked to see Rutt only made $39K. I wonder if this position earns other income or something, like the HWC?

I was shocked to see Rutt only made $39K. I wonder if this position earns other income or something, like the HWC?

That would be my guess. I was also curious about assistant being noted in front of the job title. I don’t recall that being there in the past but it might have been.

39k that is nuts now I know why he left a good Strength Coach is worth his weight in any top high level program... In football terms you must build from the inside out the interior linemen are vital too success. The strength of our backs it’s how man has survived you get the point. I hope they are in the process of bringing in a high caliber trainer

Reactions: EWCEWC60
39k that is nuts now I know why he left a good Strength Coach is worth his weight in any top high level program... In football terms you must build from the inside out the interior linemen are vital too success. The strength of our backs it’s how man has survived you get the point. I hope they are in the process of bringing in a high caliber trainer
So you are saying Rutt was only worth around $230?;)

With such a strong pipeline of graduates from the sports sciences, you’d think they could find a way to harness the alumni network and get a few candidates that have really excelled. But, that would cost a bit more than 40K. It seems like past SC coaches are either still competing or have some technical contributions beyond the weights. Hopefully they find someone solid that can maybe supplement income with the HWC.

I don't think anyone is. But yeah. Rutt making 40k? That's wack.

The funny timing here is that my son, who just graduated from college with a Health & Exercise Science degree and has planned since 9th grade to get a Masters in Special Education in order to be a SE teacher, recently said he has maybe changed his mind and might prefer to try to be a strength coach. He didn't completely believe me when I told him he would probably make about the same money handing out towels at a local Planet Fitness and that this would not pay his student loans. So I'm going to forward the help wanted ad to him to show him what a S&C coach makes at an elite Division I college.

The funny timing here is that my son, who just graduated from college with a Health & Exercise Science degree and has planned since 9th grade to get a Masters in Special Education in order to be a SE teacher, recently said he has maybe changed his mind and might prefer to try to be a strength coach. He didn't completely believe me when I told him he would probably make about the same money handing out towels at a local Planet Fitness and that this would not pay his student loans. So I'm going to forward the help wanted ad to him to show him what a S&C coach makes at an elite Division I college.

Depends on his sport. Tell him to choose football and climb that ladder.

Reactions: Huck and el dub

But it would make more sense for him to spend the money on a masters and become a teacher?

But it would make more sense for him to spend the money on a masters and become a teacher?

Yes. The big money was spent getting his undergrad degree. Three semesters at a public school to get his masters degree will set him up for a $60k starting salary, which isn't much but a helluva lot better than maybe a $30k job if he's lucky. He would also be positioned to be an Athletic Director some day, which pays a decent salary.

Doyle is the Head S&C coach at Iowa. He is in charge of all the strength programs for all of the Iowa sanctioned teams and guys like Rutt are assistant under Doyle and typically are assigned certain sports.
I do not think this is true (although could be wrong) Doyle is head S & C for football and every sport has their won S & C program

About halfway down through this article it says-- "Doyle’s contract shows that in addition to being Iowa’s head strength and conditioning coach, he carries the title of “executive director of football.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...l-strength-coach-chris-doyle-salary/89115760/

The job posting is Assistant S&C coach, with the emphasis on wrestling. I took it as Doyle is the one who oversees all sports S&C programs and is the head for football and guys like Rutt provide input on the wrestling side of things. A few of the college programs I am familiar with do it like this as well. But Iowa is a bigger than those schools, so I could very easily be wrong too if there is someone who knows for sure.

Reactions: ih8iast8
Bill Maxwell is the director of the Olympic sports strength and conditioning program. Iowa seems to divide their S&C into two parts: football and everything else. Most of the assistant S&C coaches work with multiple sports, although Rutt's bio says he works "primarily" with the wrestling team.

https://strength.sports.uiowa.edu/about

Maxwell is Director for all sports except football, and oversees a staff of 6, which included Rutt. I agree all are under-paid.
Doyle works exclusively with football. I do not know how many assistants he has. His contract is negotiated thru KF, thus the discrepancy in pay.

Maxwell is Director for all sports except football, and oversees a staff of 6, which included Rutt. I agree all are under-paid.
Doyle works exclusively with football. I do not know how many assistants he has. His contract is negotiated thru KF, thus the discrepancy in pay.

No. There's a discrepancy in pay because it's football.

I am surprised pay is so low for this job. I hope there are funds paid to this person outside of the U of I, like through the HWC.

ADVERTISEMENT