ADVERTISEMENT

Strength and Conditioning Coach?

Any word or rumor about this position? In order to attract better candidates I hope they reconsidered what certainly appeared to be a low salary the first time around.
I hope they throw more money at it. I think Rutt did a heck of a job. Remember they did give M* a raise, so that could have an effect on how much they have to go around.

Salary was something like $38K as I understood. That actually seems like much for entry level - part time job. I know the posted job offer was for full time at that rate - but what does a wrestling SnC coach do for 6 months when nothing is happening? And what does he do in-season? Wrestlers don't go at it 8 hours a day - why pay a "coach" for full time when he is needed 3 or 4 hours a day only for 6 months? I'm sure someone will state he is there to help other sports (by handing out towels).

Didn’t some people get “sent to Doyle” for a while for bulking up in years past? I wonder if Kem is doing something like that.

Reactions: Gobblin
Don't just focus on Salary... The benefit package is outstanding, and has a ton of value.

I'm told that there will be a renewed effort to get this done before season starts.

Didn’t some people get “sent to Doyle” for a while for bulking up in years past? I wonder if Kem is doing something like that.

Yes this happens sometimes but Doyle already has a job. He's a great resource but should be and is focused on football.

Salary was something like $38K as I understood. That actually seems like much for entry level - part time job. I know the posted job offer was for full time at that rate - but what does a wrestling SnC coach do for 6 months when nothing is happening? And what does he do in-season? Wrestlers don't go at it 8 hours a day - why pay a "coach" for full time when he is needed 3 or 4 hours a day only for 6 months? I'm sure someone will state he is there to help other sports (by handing out towels).

To say you might not understand the function of this position and training is an understatement. And there's no reason to hire an entry level person, regardless. Rutt wasn't. Kanellis wasn't. Look around the country--it isn't an entry level job nor should it be.

Is my sarcasm meter broken? Please tell me you aren't serious.

Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
@SPOONER, yeah, I don't want to mix the programs, but if Rutt is not in the room now, it's nice that guys that really need a boost in the off season can get it. by early 20's, most guys can lift and condition on their own. I'm sure TNT have already had conversations with candidates and have likely already found the new guy. Now is the time for big moves to happen as conditioning becomes more of a focus in 30-45 days.

tumblr_inline_mk73kauDTQ1qz4rgp.gif

Yes this happens sometimes but Doyle already has a job. He's a great resource but should be and is focused on football.

To say you might not understand the function of this position and training is an understatement. And there's no reason to hire an entry level person, regardless. Rutt wasn't. Kanellis wasn't. Look around the country--it isn't an entry level job nor should it be.
I'm agreeing with Spooner once again. What is wrong with me?

I know the volunteer assistant can only get paid what a graduate student gets paid, although they can get some camp money. I don’t know if there are rules on the strength and conditioning coach for wrestling. If there aren’t, and there shouldn’t be, then that salary is a joke. As big as the Iowa Athletics department is, it seems like a pretty easy way to gain an advantage. Have a commitment to wrestling and pay the top coaches good money. As much money as Barta has thrown away in lawsuits, and have paid fired coaches or failing coaches, you think he could throw wrestling hundred thousand dollars. That would significantly help the program.

Last edited:
Like most salaries in business today it's probably the average based on all other programs in wrestling. I'm sure there are many programs that pay less and some that pay more.
I guess you get what you pay for and the results will speak for themselves. I doubt Iowa is intentionally low balling candidates and may be based on all strength coaches in all sports at Iowa....

I hope they throw more money at it. I think Rutt did a heck of a job. Remember they did give M* a raise, so that could have an effect on how much they have to go around.

Good point. But hard to argue that M* didn't deserve it. Not that you were saying that

Reactions: edquinn06
Like most salaries in business today it's probably the average based on all other programs in wrestling. I'm sure there are many programs that pay less and some that pay more.
I guess you get what you pay for and the results will speak for themselves. I doubt Iowa is intentionally low balling candidates and may be based on all strength coaches in all sports at Iowa....

And since C Doyle makes around $750k, we should get more $ for our S&C right?

Maybe someone can clear this up for me, I was under the impression that Doyle was in charge of the University S&C program, focused on FB, but is also there to consult with all program coaches (which is why he's worked directly with wrestlers in the past)...maybe this is a false impression that I've had, and if someone can clear this up for me, it's much appreciated....

Maybe someone can clear this up for me, I was under the impression that Doyle was in charge of the University S&C program, focused on FB, but is also there to consult with all program coaches (which is why he's worked directly with wrestlers in the past)...maybe this is a false impression that I've had, and if someone can clear this up for me, it's much appreciated....

I think you are pretty spot on, every time it’s explained it’s clear as mud

Chris is Head of Football Operations. Apples & Oranges comparison.

That is not his title. He is Director, Strength and Conditioning for the football program. Paul Federici is Director, Football Operations. It is an apple and oranges comparison because Doyle has 120 athletes and the program he works for brings in about 40 times the revenue of the wrestling program. (Don't fact check me on that 40 times number. Total guess.)

That is a false impression. He is in charge of the football program. Period. He has no other responsibilities. However, he lives this stuff and is damn good at his job so he's willing to be a resource for other programs when asked.

Reactions: depelland
The way I have heard it, Doyle helps the wrestling team out in cases like Kemerer that have special circumstances.

As for how much money he makes, just look at his results. Look at how many Offense and Defensive linemen from Iowa have went onto the league. Iowa has one of the best programs S&C programs in the nation.

I have no issue with the amount of money he makes. They have to pay him because an Alabama, Texas etc would snap him up in a hot second if he perceived that he was being undervalued.

Here is what everyone's favorite roofing buddy(KMF) has to say on the matter:

Posted Yesterday, 04:16 AM

Amigos that strenth and conditioning coach openings still open and its time for Tommy to grow a pair and buttonhole Barta and tell him gent you got that $30 M a year coming from the B1G each and every year nows time to share the wealth hombre sweeten that $40k a year offer to $140K and go get Jaden Cox from Mizzou you get a gent what can wrestle won hisself the bronze in the Olys a reel name what can bring some recruits and teach them upper weights to wrestle and put your program on the map again instead of in the wings crying like a little ***** and talking about wait for next year Tommy them young freshman was in 2nd grade playing with there power rangers the last time you was in the money and it dont look like much is changing take a good long look at Dwayne Goldman and decide if thats your future because its a getting it done type of career and you aint getting it done.

Amigos that strenth and conditioning coach openings still open and its time for Tommy to grow a pair and buttonhole Barta and tell him gent you got that $30 M a year coming from the B1G each and every year nows time to share the wealth hombre sweeten that $40k a year offer to $140K and go get Jaden Cox from Mizzou you get a gent what can wrestle won hisself the bronze in the Olys a reel name what can bring some recruits and teach them upper weights to wrestle and put your program on the map again instead of in the wings crying like a little ***** and talking about wait for next year Tommy them young freshman was in 2nd grade playing with there power rangers the last time you was in the money and it dont look like much is changing take a good long look at Dwayne Goldman and decide if thats your future because its a getting it done type of career and you aint getting it done.

Well thanks for that. Super informative.

I think you are pretty spot on, every time it’s explained it’s clear as mud

He is essentially in charge of these young m
That is not his title. He is Director, Strength and Conditioning for the football program. Paul Federici is Director, Football Operations. It is an apple and oranges comparison because Doyle has 120 athletes and the program he works for brings in about 40 times the revenue of the wrestling program. (Don't fact check me on that 40 times number. Total guess.)

That is a false impression. He is in charge of the football program. Period. He has no other responsibilities. However, he lives this stuff and is damn good at his job so he's willing to be a resource for other programs when asked.

He is quoted as his title being more than that. I don’t want to argue semantics because you & I agree on your second point. Chris does much more than strength & conditioning. I have been fortunate to have a few one on one conversations with him; he is extraordinarily valuable to Iowa football.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ry-database-nationally-kirk-ferentz/89114146/

No point in bringing up Doyle’s salary. Completely irrelevant in this discussion. Markets dictate salary and this is likely a fair offer.

Agree with mudflap 100%. Why wouldn’t we outspend our competition legally? A stud upper weight guy would add infinitely to the room.

Agree with mudflap 100%. Why wouldn’t we outspend our competition legally? A stud upper weight guy would add infinitely to the room.

Because we actually want guys in the room to get bigger vs when we used a wrestler for that spot (Lofthouse). If we could do both, like Rutt, that would be great. We now have a lot of real good wrestling minds roaming the room along with pretty good upper weight guys like Bobby, Stoll, Costello and now Cass. Than Warner, Brooks, Holloway, Wilcke etc...Warner will end up being that marquee guy. I would like to see a guy at around 74kg...I wish IMar had been that guy.

But yea...click donate and become an Inner Circle guy.

Reactions: Gobblin

I'm pretty sure the S&C coach is not allowed to practice with the guys. A guy with wrestling knowledge would be an asset but wrestling ability and adding to the room not much of a consideration.

The S&C coach isn't allowed to wrestle with the college team--seems like this has been explained to you before. So what you'd have is a high salaried guy who can't wrestle with the team and isn't an S&C expert. It's nonsensical.

The S&C coach isn't allowed to wrestle with the college team--seems like this has been explained to you before. So what you'd have is a high salaried guy who can't wrestle with the team and isn't an S&C expert. It's nonsensical.
If you or any of your other screen names explained it before you were wrong then and wrong again now. They can wrestle with guys just like Telford, Gilman, Clark etc.

I believe the rule is only so many coaches can participate during scheduled practice time. Outside participants are also limited. Unless things have changed Outside of scheduled practice is pretty much open to any participants including a S&C coach.

If you or any of your other screen names explained it before you were wrong then and wrong again now. They can wrestle with guys just like Telford, Gilman, Clark etc.

Yes. Like those guys which means on their own time and wrestlers own time not during college practices. You're advocating Iowa not have a legit strength and conditioning coach and instead pay a guy to wrestle outside of your practices.

A legit strength coach is a must today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT