ADVERTISEMENT

strength and conditioning

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
Any word on how Iowa's strength and conditioning program is going? In the past it was always "Doyle will have these kids ready to play", now it's kind of been crickets.

Braithwaite seems to have done a pretty solid job this year but doesn't that mean there is still a position that needs filled? Might be a good opportunity to bring someone with different ideas in.

Any word on how Iowa's strength and conditioning program is going? In the past it was always "Doyle will have these kids ready to play", now it's kind of been crickets.
? Not sure what you are expecting. The season just ended.
Braithwaite will have these kids ready to play.

I find it pretty odd that: (i) Kirk would give a guy who has been with the program 18 years just an "interim" title...clearly the guy is either qualified or he's not, and Kirk knows the answer; and (ii) why would we go an entire year without an actual Strength & Conditioning Coordinator? Trying to save money on salary? SEC schools have 3 of them, plus strength consultants. What's the holdup on giving someone the job? I'd imagine off season conditioning begins next month.

I find it pretty odd that: (i) Kirk would give a guy who has been with the program 18 years just an "interim" title...clearly the guy is either qualified or he's not, and Kirk knows the answer; and (ii) why would we go an entire year without an actual Strength & Conditioning Coordinator? Trying to save money on salary? SEC schools have 3 of them, plus strength consultants. What's the holdup on giving someone the job? I'd imagine off season conditioning begins next month.

Kirk will announce an S&C coach when Bohannon officially regains his “sweet shot.”

I assumed it was due to the hiring process. By placing "interim" were they able to avoid posting the job opening, or can they reassign from within without posting? It does seem odd that they haven't hired someone else to fill the vacancy created. It's possible that with all that was going on, the feeling was that they didn't want to bring an outsider in so they could better control the situation.

Aint broke don’t fix it.....
We just fired what was considered one of if not the best S&C coach in the business and had to give him a hefty check on the way out the door to not turn around and light a fire... I dont know that I would go with that angle. Having a different set of eyes in the program.may not hurt.

Iowa has 4 S&C coaches, even after Doyle. You clearly wear your terrible takes as a sign of pride and stupidity.

i believe the AD has a hiring freeze. This interim title and it is likely to stay that way for a year or until program revenues increase to pay the bills.

Braithwaite is a named defendant in the lawsuit brought by Wadley, et al. It might make sense for the athletic department to wait until that is successfully resolved if he indeed is "the man."
If they go ahead and hire him, and it isn't resolved successfully; they are going to look very foolish (again).

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Braithwaite is a named defendant in the lawsuit brought by Wadley, et al. It might make sense for the athletic department to wait until that is successfully resolved if he indeed is "the man."
If they go ahead and hire him, and it isn't resolved successfully; they are going to look very foolish (again).

Sounds like the Iowa brand will be drug thru the mud some more.

He will be able to get dismissed. They have no viable claim against him.

Raimond Braithwaite is the interim director, with 16 years as an assistant to Doyle, believe he is expected to take over the position on a full time basis. If so, don’t think we will see much change or fall off with the Iowa strength and conditioning program.
so they are okay with a guy that was an understudy to the most racist man to ever step foot on iowa soil? okay.

I assumed it was due to the hiring process. By placing "interim" were they able to avoid posting the job opening, or can they reassign from within without posting? It does seem odd that they haven't hired someone else to fill the vacancy created. It's possible that with all that was going on, the feeling was that they didn't want to bring an outsider in so they could better control the situation.
My assumption is at some point they have to post it to the world from a legality standpoint, public institution, etc.

I would have thought that would have been done by now, even in a Covid year, but since they were so up and down about if they were even going to play they may have been able to just roll with what they had. In some States you couldn't even go to a gym, so why pay another person that may or may not even be able to work directly with the kids?

And they'll have to cast a wide net to find the Mr. Rogers of the Strength & Conditioning world.........

We just fired what was considered one of if not the best S&C coach in the business and had to give him a hefty check on the way out the door to not turn around and light a fire... I dont know that I would go with that angle. Having a different set of eyes in the program.may not hurt.

And I remember a story about a basketball program that hired the national coach of the year because they thought he was the greatest thing on earth, only to discover that it was really his assistant that was doing the real work behind the scenes,... Let's give Braithwaite a chance to step out of the shadows here.

Aint broke don’t fix it.....
Yes however even Doyle adapted workout programs a lot over the years. Nutrition, workout science/performance, and recovery knowledge is always improving and a good S&C program and staff will always implement changes to stay ahead of the curve. Working out like a savage like Rocky in his backyard has its merits, but proficiency is key especially when every program is more or less doing the same thing as you are.

And I remember a story about a basketball program that hired the national coach of the year because they thought he was the greatest thing on earth, only to discover that it was really his assistant that was doing the real work behind the scenes,... Let's give Braithwaite a chance to step out of the shadows here.
Is there just a programmed response amongst certain Hawkeye fans that whenever any form of a new coach gets discussed you have to bring up lick? It was a bad hire YEARS ago, let it go. We want as many eyes helping with SC as possible and we have an open hole, its OK to add someone in the mix with different perspective.

Is there just a programmed response amongst certain Hawkeye fans that whenever any form of a new coach gets discussed you have to bring up lick? It was a bad hire YEARS ago, let it go. We want as many eyes helping with SC as possible and we have an open hole, its OK to add someone in the mix with different perspective.

Who's talking about Lick?... just a story I heard.. ;)

To soon😏

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT