ADVERTISEMENT

Strength shoes

jellyfish10

HB Legend
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone ever own a pair of those bad boys in the early/mid 90’s? One of my employees was asking about workouts when I was in high school and I was just explaining how much things changed. Man I must of looked so sweet running around town with my strength shoes on.

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
lNxEp0.gif

I had a pair. Me and 2 others chipped in on a pair. We were all within a 1/2 size so it worked pretty well. We'd do workouts where someone would do something wearing the shoes while the others would do sprints or box jumps without, etc. Then we'd rotate. Used the hell out of them for about a year or so. Never saw anyone else with them though. And, a few other kids in town would watch us and think it was cool... or totally stupid. haha Fad went away pretty quick.

I had a pair. Me and 2 others chipped in on a pair. We were all within a 1/2 size so it worked pretty well. We'd do workouts where someone would do something wearing the shoes while the others would do sprints or box jumps without, etc. Then we'd rotate. Used the hell out of them for about a year or so. Never saw anyone else with them though. And, a few other kids in town would watch us and think it was cool... or totally stupid. haha Fad went away pretty quick.
Did they help?

Did they help?
For sure. I went from barely able to dunk a volleyball to easily dunking 2 handed... could reverse, toss off backboard and throw it down. But, we worked out often doing more than just the shoes. Lots of leg lifts, running/jumping plyos, etc. But, I do think they played a role. The other two guys were like 5'9-5'10... but were sprinters and they swore they were more explosive.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Anyone ever own a pair of those bad boys in the early/mid 90’s? One of my employees was asking about workouts when I was in high school and I was just explaining how much things changed. Man I must of looked so sweet running around town with my strength shoes on.
I had some. I had some decent hops and could dunk a women's ball, and I was trying to climb the mountain top to real dunking. Didn't work, but it did make my calves burn like a bitch.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Most likely I’m thinking of something completely different and answered incorrectly.

Let me rectify: the best shoe to wear while you’re actively lifting weights in a progressively overload routine aimed at hypertrophy and strength is Converse Chuck Taylors.

Reactions: WSC72
I draw strength from my Hey Dudes.
Speaking of this... been wearing these for years now is summer months. My wife (no pics) recently said that I should consider something else... something more up to date and stylish. I was like what??? She said Dudes are getting to the point of "wearing tan cargo shorts"... their times have passed she claims. So, what say you guys? What's an alternative?

I was a gym rat in middle school over the summers. We’d play pick-up basketball all day long at the Y and Rockwell Rec Center. A friend of mine wore those for an entire summer one year. He didn’t gain a damn thing out of them. He still couldn’t jump to save his life and his shooting was as shitty as ever. 🙂

Reactions: WSC72
Speaking of this... been wearing these for years now is summer months. My wife (no pics) recently said that I should consider something else... something more up to date and stylish. I was like what??? She said Dudes are getting to the point of "wearing tan cargo shorts"... their times have passed she claims. So, what say you guys? What's an alternative?
Barefoot

• Haha
Reactions: B1GDeal
For sure. I went from barely able to dunk a volleyball to easily dunking 2 handed... could reverse, toss off backboard and throw it down. But, we worked out often doing more than just the shoes. Lots of leg lifts, running/jumping plyos, etc. But, I do think they played a role. The other two guys were like 5'9-5'10... but were sprinters and they swore they were more explosive.

It wasn’t the shoes. If they actually helped, they’d have been more than a fad.

Tell her when people wearing their hats backward that you will get a different brand of shoes....will that ever go away?

These are pretty comfortable (and not HeyDuds)

I was a gym rat in middle school over the summers. We’d play pick-up basketball all day long at the Y and Rockwell Rec Center. A friend of mine wore those for an entire summer one year. He didn’t gain a damn thing out of them. He still couldn’t jump to save his life and his shooting was as shitty as ever. 🙂

Nothing can help people like this….
george-costanza.gif

The one guy in my HS who played D1 basketball (and could have played D1 football or baseball, had offers for both) wore them everyday as his regular shoes. Don't know if it was correlation or not, he was always a freak athlete growing up. But he wore those shoes the entire school day everyday. I didn't know anyone else who wore them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT