ADVERTISEMENT

Stroud drives off in $200k Mercedes as part of NIL deal

So in spite of the stories from players/coaches and teams getting caught doing it there really wasn’t those types of things going on at a fairly widespread basis? I just want to understand what you are expecting us to believe.
Exactly - I will add if the school didn't know about this than that is lack of institutional control and penalties should be levied.

I have no dog in this fight but will give credit (well, somewhat) that at least teams like Alabama, OSU, Clemson and Georgia are not giving / pushing this crazy NIL money to HS recruits who have not proved themselves on the CF field yet like Texas A&M and Tennessee (their money is crazy).

Schools like Alabama and OSU are telling recruits that the NIL money will be there (like Stroud) once they establish themselves on the field. Texas A&M and Tennessee are wanna bes that will do whatever it takes to get to the top. I think this was Saban's biggest beef. I wonder what's going to happen to the Texas A&M money to recruits when they wash out - many do the first couple of years

Quinn Evers signed a $1.4M deal before enrolling at OSU.

My point is that if this was going on a widespread basis, why wasn't there more Fullmer (Tenn) / Alabama incidents over the years ? Outside of that Tattoo Gate incident at OSU - which they were hammered for - can you name another FACT based incident at Alabama or OSU. And Tressel was fired for lying about the Tattoo incident - the tattoos themselves were minor. It resulted in only OSU's 2nd losing season since the mid 1960s.

There were uncontrollable boosters at all schools - including Iowa. Many people instantly pointed to money / boosters for a team's success. Maybe being #2 (OSU) and #3 (Alabama) on the all-time wins list has something to do with their success over time. I lived in Ohio a few years back and, believe me, every Ohio kid dreams of an OSU offer. And Ohio HS football is still #5 for putting kids in the NFL. OSU doesn't have to wave a big wad of cash in front of a kid like some of the wanna bes have to.
If you think it was that way than keep up that idealistic view. Not very based in reality but keep it up

Quinn Evers signed a $1.4M deal before enrolling at OSU.
Yes he did but it was with a New Jersey marketing firm - GT Sports Marketing - that had no ties to any school including OSU or his current school - Texas. He could have signed with Iowa and the NIL money would still have been intact. You're trying to make it sound like OSU was tied in to the NIL money and that's TOTALLY FALSE

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT