ADVERTISEMENT

Studies Find No Evidence That Assault Weapon Bans Reduce Homicide Rates

But if we reduce the availability of guns we reduce the opportunity for evil people to do evil things.

About the biggest thing I can think of that has a chance would be slowing down the process quite a bit for first time gun owners. Eliminating any impulsiveness, basically.

You won't knock out those that have had an active plan they've been working on for the past year or whatnot, though.

About the biggest thing I can think of that has a chance would be slowing down the process quite a bit for first time gun owners. Eliminating any impulsiveness, basically.

You won't knock out those that have had an active plan they've been working on for the past year or whatnot, though.
We should make it hard and expensive to own guns, both new and old.

We should make it expensive to manufacture guns.

The production and ownership of guns should reflect the cost of the violence guns create in our society.

But if we reduce the availability of guns we reduce the opportunity for evil people to do evil things.
I’m not advocating for guns and more guns.
The arrested individual’s attorney is hinting at mental issues on his clients behalf. I wonder if he would have gotten a knife or some sort of deadly weapon if a gun wasn’t available. That has definitely happened on the subway before.

Yes I am asking for you to link a source with the statistics that you feel has more accurate research.

Right after I finish up these other things I am doing. Should be able to post sometime. When I am done with the other stuff. That I will be doing.

Reactions: NCHawk5
So why don’t you link a liberal study to dispute the statistics?
So give me your opinion on the Uvalde shooter situation.

Scenario 1 - Free for all
He walks into a store, buys an AR-15 (same day purchase), walks out, drives to school and kills 19 children.

Scenario 2 - Some restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 30 days, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school.

Scenario 3 - More restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told he must be 21 AND there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 3 years, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school.

Scenario 4 - Ban + restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told they are illegal and he's not able to purchase. Asks to purchase a shotgun, but is told he must be 21 AND there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 3 years, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school. BUT if he still must do this, now he has a pump action, 5 round shot gun and is taken out by law enforcement during reload. Only 3 kids die instead of 19.

NOTE: Yes, the shooter can acquire illegal guns, but that's assuming he knows how. I'm 48 and don't have a clue where to purchase an illegal fire arm.

Agree but there is no way you reduce guns. Way too many out there. Even if you tried they would not be turned over. Have to find other solutions to this problem. Agree that it’s sickening school massacres happen. Have to find preventive controls that are out in place to every school. If that includes prison lockdown doors then do it. We spend more $ on stupid crap protect schools and children at all means necessary.

If you're just looking at homicide rates? Then no. Most of those are with semi-automatic pistols. If you're looking at mass shootings, well, just look at the gun used in almost every one of them, especially the ones committed by young men.

The question is whether or not those guns provide much additional ability to cause carnage or if they're just picked because they "look cool."

The gunman in Texas recently, for example, probably didn't gain anything by having an AR-15 over a semi-automatic handgun. But he felt like a bad ass and "looked cool"

Reactions: SB_SB
Agree but there is no way you reduce guns. Way too many out there. Even if you tried they would not be turned over. Have to find other solutions to this problem. Agree that it’s sickening school massacres happen. Have to find preventive controls that are out in place to every school. If that includes prison lockdown doors then do it. We spend more $ on stupid crap protect schools and children at all means necessary.

I mean sure, we're saturated with guns. But if takes a lot more effort to get one -- like going out on the black market instead of having to wait awhile and go through the effort needed to acquire legally -- then you may cut down on incidents not insignificantly.

I mean sure, we're saturated with guns. But if takes a lot more effort to get one -- like going out on the black market instead of having to wait awhile and go through the effort needed to acquire legally -- then you may cut down on incidents not insignificantly.
I’m for that as well. Getting congress to do this may take another 5 school massacres to get their SH!t together.

The question is whether or not those guns provide much additional ability to cause carnage or if they're just picked because they "look cool."

The gunman in Texas recently, for example, probably didn't gain anything by having an AR-15 over a semi-automatic handgun. But he felt like a bad ass and "looked cool"
I agree, however the majority of mass shootings occur in men under 21 with little to no actual firearm training. Let's increase minimum age of purchase for ALL semi-automatic handguns to 21. Sure, they can still use a shotgun, rifle, or revolver. Yes, those can still kill people and it won't stop ALL mass shootings. But if someone with little training has to figure out how to reload the shotgun or revolver during a high pressure shooting situation that's time for police or bystanders to intervene or get away.

These are the solutions I say we begin demanding ALL politicians push for.

Pass Extreme Risk Laws from a Federal Level and fund active training and implementation.
Require all guns to be registered, and registration updates mandatory.
Enact Safe Storage Laws.
Raise the age for Semi-Automatic weapon purchases to 21.
Require Universal Background Checks for ALL gun sales whether private or through a dealer/gun show. Require mandatory reporting.
Continue Research for best protection for securing schools, implement funding for school upgrades.
Fix our broken healthcare system so that mental healthcare is both easily available and no longer stigmatized.
Stop getting mad when we bring up new laws and regulations when mass shootings happen and claim we're "Politicizing it". Mass shootings are political in nature at this point. It's our only way to begin reducing the mass of school mass shootings that only happens like this in America. Obviously, policy changes help. Demand politicians, whether Republican or Democrat begin working towards actual, reasonable controls.

Not trying to link this for comedic value. Its impossible to laugh right now when thinking about our gun culture. He just makes a good point about exactly what you're saying and I've linked the video to start at that point.

Last edited:
So give me your opinion on the Uvalde shooter situation.

Scenario 1 - Free for all
He walks into a store, buys an AR-15 (same day purchase), walks out, drives to school and kills 19 children.

Scenario 2 - Some restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 30 days, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school.

Scenario 3 - More restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told he must be 21 AND there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 3 years, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school.

Scenario 4 - Ban + restrictions
He walks into a store and attempts to purchase an AR-15 but is told they are illegal and he's not able to purchase. Asks to purchase a shotgun, but is told he must be 21 AND there is a 30-day waiting period. During the 3 years, maybe he decides not to shoot up kids in a school. BUT if he still must do this, now he has a pump action, 5 round shot gun and is taken out by law enforcement during reload. Only 3 kids die instead of 19.

NOTE: Yes, the shooter can acquire illegal guns, but that's assuming he knows how. I'm 48 and don't have a clue where to purchase an illegal fire arm.

Exactly. The assumption seems to be that these people would immediately find a back alley arms dealer to sell them an AR-15 or AK-47 out of the trunk of a car because they are pure evil and hell bent on mass murder.

Part of the problem with this country is the complete lack of a willingness to compromise and the fall back defensive position to the extremes. You can't cede any ground or the other side wins.

For example, maybe we do need some restrictions on abortion and maybe we do need stricter gun laws. Attempts to completely ban abortion or abolish the second amendment just galvanizes the opposition and makes compromise impossible.

We spend stupid dollars arming our police. We spend stupid dollars trying to protect people in public places. We spend stupid dollars dealing with the consequences of gun violence.

We might as well spend stupid dollars reducing the number of guns.

Click through some of the other links

Try not to do this while you research:

confirmation-bias2.jpg

I’m not advocating for guns and more guns.
The arrested individual’s attorney is hinting at mental issues on his clients behalf. I wonder if he would have gotten a knife or some sort of deadly weapon if a gun wasn’t available. That has definitely happened on the subway before.
I like my chances in a footrace against a dude with a knife. Dude with a gun? Not so much.

It’s a mental health issue, not a gun issue. We can make guns harder, if not impossible to get and unless we address the mental health of these potential killers, nothing will change but their method.

ADVERTISEMENT