ADVERTISEMENT

Study says school masking wasn't associated lower covid cases

No. The premise is as long as the corona bros are around freaking out about the virus

What does this have to do with your claims about the "field of epidemiology"?

Epidemiologists have existed LONG BEFORE Covid, bud.

What does this have to do with your claims about the "field of epidemiology"?

Epidemiologists have existed LONG BEFORE Covid, bud.
And what is their use? I see 0 value. If they can’t be productive when the bell rings, good riddance.

genetic​

You judged something as either good or bad on the basis of where it comes from, or from whom it came.​

Nope.

I attacked it based on the EXPERIENCE of the people who apparently authored it.
I have no idea who they are.

Neither appears to have ANY prior publications in this field.

I ALSO pointed out that they simply submitted this, and it is from a pre-print server. Which means no epidemiologists (who ARE the experts in this field) have reviewed it.

No fallacy on my part. I'm pointing out facts for you, and why I'm skeptical of the article. Particularly with how quickly it's spreading thru the MAGA ranks.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Kudos on your resort to two additional logical fallacies. That's three in one string.

None of those are "logical fallacies".

They are very legitimate criticisms. If you're going to publish a paper that overturns dozens of other articles, you probably ought to include a few actual people in the field who are experts to back your work up.

• Haha
Yes, that's why the pediatric wards showed no flu or RSV transmission early in the pandemic when masks were mandated.
Sorry Urohawk, I’m not going to take your opinion on medical matters seriously until you author a paper titled “Targeted Advertising and the Advent of the Internet.”

Reactions: Urohawk
Nope.

I attacked it based on the EXPERIENCE of the people who apparently authored it.
I have no idea who they are.

Neither appears to have ANY prior publications in this field.

I ALSO pointed out that they simply submitted this, and it is from a pre-print server. Which means no epidemiologists (who ARE the experts in this field) have reviewed it.

No fallacy on my part. I'm pointing out facts for you, and why I'm skeptical of the article. Particularly with how quickly it's spreading thru the MAGA ranks.

On the contrary, you did not address the article; instead, you addressed the source, which is a genetic fallacy.

"Genetic Fallacy​

An informal fallacy where a claim is accepted or rejected based on the source of the evidence rather than on the quality of the evidence. The fallacy shifts focus onto the origin in an attempt to impugn or bolster the argument instead of analyzing the argument itself. This fallacy is similar to the ad hominem fallacy as both shift attention away from the argument in order to avoid having to evaluate it on its own merit."

And then, as demonstrated by your inability to provide the quote that I requested, you committed (twice) the fallacy of unwarranted assumption.

Reactions: waterboy4582
Just because you have no science background to understand what epidemiology is about doesn't mean it is "useless". It means you're an idiot.
No. Just a realist. If they can’t deliver when we’re in a global pandemic, why are they on the team? We’re better off with our immune systems. Goodbye epidemiologists, thanks for playing capitalism. Go study on your own dime.

Could someone explain to me what the sentence means that starts with “School districts that choose…”? That doesn’t read like some of you think it says. I could be wrong.

I also know we were back to going through a bunch of kleenex, less colds, kids were out sick, stomach bug going around last 2 weeks when none of that happened the mask mandate year. So normal. I don’t want to go back to masks, but you have a hard time convincing a lot of teachers that masks weren’t keeping kids from passing germs around to each other.
So nothing @Pinehawk, per usual.

Tom would prefer to rely on his biased personal observations, rather than the scientific study.
Dude, for 2 years you have handpicked studies that fit your narrative. Listen to the CDC! Don’t listen to the CDC! Listen to the CDC!

• Haha
Dude, for 2 years you have handpicked studies that fit your narrative. Listen to the CDC! Don’t listen to the CDC! Listen to the CDC!

He also thinks that everything happening in IA City is like everywhere else. He argued masks mandates were still a thing even though my kids school had dropped their mandate a month prior. His hatred of masks hinders his judgment on the topic.

He'll be along to laugh at this post because, the truth hurts.

Reactions: sob5 and Tom Paris
He also thinks that everything happening in IA City is like everywhere else. He argued masks mandates were still a thing even though my kids school had dropped their mandate a month prior. His hatred of masks hinders his judgment on the topic.

He'll be along to laugh at this post because, the truth hurts.

No, I never claimed what was happening in IC was happening everywhere. I told you what was happening here. Which was a school mask mandate in place much longer than elsewhere.
Which, the studies and data show was the wrong decision, and was unnecessary.
It’s ok to admit you were wrong.

I was going to say, masks certainly cut down on everything else. I’m not saying we need them going forward, but they probably helped conserve resources during the worst of Covid.
I think they certainly helped, as long as the mask is of good quality and worn properly. I do not know if we will ever know just how effective they were, especially in a school setting where it is unlikely they were worn properly and not the best quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
I think they certainly helped, as long as the mask is of good quality and worn properly. I do not if we will ever know just how effective they were, especially in a school setting where it is unlikely they were worn properly and not the best quality.
Which is a key point everyone seems to ignore. I don’t care what your controlled lab study says, if in reality, there aren’t worn properly, are poor quality, are re-used multiple times, not washed, stuffed in pockets, touched by hands, not worn in comfortable situations, etc.
Those are all happening to a majority of mask wearers, especially kids, and are major variables in them ‘working’ (which of course is not a yes or no answer, but a percentage, and a very, very low one).

Last edited:
I think they certainly helped, as long as the mask is of good quality and worn properly. I do not if we will ever know just how effective they were, especially in a school setting where it is unlikely they were worn properly and not the best quality.
Oh, so the initial calls to not get N95s were just a happy ass coincidence? Seriously the only thing that actually works they told the public not to get. These people deserve nothing but disdain.

All those poor children who were asked to wear a piece of cloth on their face. However will they recover? Certainly far more traumatic than watching children get gunned down while at school.
Umm. because children were unable to see facial expressions from their peers and teachers for 2 years? You are such a simpleton to not realize many kids have been changed due to this. My kids had to be prodded to take off their masks due to their teachers telling them it prevented them from getting Covid if they kept theirs on. Never mind that other people were t wearing them.

He wasn't discrediting anything. He was saying he needs more evidence. One study or paper does not make a consensus. If more reports like this come out, preferably ones that include epidemiologists, then you can have your "I told you so" moment. Which brings me back to, without data, the consequence for playing it safe was being just a little bit uncomfortable some of the time while in school. It certainly exposed how weak many Americans have become.
But you were on with bad studies telling us to wear masks even if cloth masks. LOL

Even putting the best spin on this shit one can......all this shows is that those who "lost" this argument are never going to move on with life. Regardless of the facts and how things played out, they will never admit this whole damn thing is over. What bothers me is that America is apparently full of "poor" losers.....The one thing they did lost though is the Presidential election in 2020.....they got their ever-loving asses stomped in that one.
Get your shots boyz.......,.,.folks are still dying of Covid every week.....Iowa lost 19 more this past week, I believe.

Do you really not remember the reasons they advised against it? Do you have dementia?
I remember why they told us not to get them. You can only move the goalposts so much on me before I’m done chasing stupidity. Pandemic was over for me after the first round of vaccines. GL everyone after that.

Lol. Fauci Sheep right here.
It’s incredible watching people be manipulated and still go crawling back for more. I remember in early 2020 immediately calling bs when they flipped on the mask advice.

Like, oh, obviously they just secured as much as they could for themselves immediately by lying to the public. I was pissed right off the bat with these clowns.

Even putting the best spin on this shit one can......all this shows is that those who "lost" this argument are never going to move on with life. Regardless of the facts and how things played out, they will never admit this whole damn thing is over. What bothers me is that America is apparently full of "poor" losers.....The one thing they did lost though is the Presidential election in 2020.....they got their ever-loving asses stomped in that one.
Get your shots boyz.......,.,.folks are still dying of Covid every week.....Iowa lost 19 more this past week, I believe.
How many do you think we lost because of a false sense of security that these mask gave them? People were mislead by the leaders they trusted.

It’s incredible watching people be manipulated and still go crawling back for more. I remember in early 2020 immediately calling bs when they flipped on the mask advice.

Like, oh, obviously they just secured as much as they could for themselves immediately by lying to the public. I was pissed right off the bat with these clowns.

I weep for the grandma sewing brigade. Those ladies with 1975 Singer Sewing Machines finally found a purpose in April 2020. Churning those cloth masks out for the masses was their raison d’etre. Damn you science for pissing on grandmas everywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
How many do you think we lost because of a false sense of security that these mask gave them? People were mislead by the leaders they trusted.
Far fewer that those who refused the vaccine. I wore a mask, I was working retail with folks all day long....I never ever had a cold during Covid.....I was 70+ years old with heart disease......I wore a mask at work and washed my hands often.....and I wasn't stupid about my contacts......I received my shots when they were available...and have kept up to date......I haven't worn a mask (except in extreme crowds) for over a year......I have attended football games w/o a mask last season...and several basketball games this past winter without one.....BUT I was vaxed!

Reactions: sob5 and Tom Paris
I weep for the grandma sewing brigade. Those ladies with 1975 Singer Sewing Machines finally found a purpose in April 2020. Churning those cloth masks out for the masses was their raison d’etre. Damn you science for pissing on grandmas everywhere.
Yeah think of how many we could have saved from Covid if we redirected n95s to the elderly and most vulnerable and isolated the hell out of those groups. Instead stupid politically dividing policies ensued and none of them worked.

Yeah think of how many we could have saved from Covid if we redirected n95s to the elderly and most vulnerable and isolated the hell out of those groups. Instead stupid politically dividing policies ensued and none of them worked.

I don’t know. I just hope I taught some folk on HORT some French in my last post.

Reactions: Joes Place
I don’t know. I just hope I taught some folk on HORT some French in my last post.
You joke. I guess you’re all right with our government and media lying to us for a greater purpose. I’m not.

Yeah we should have give all of the N95s that didn’t exist to the elderly instead of letting the frontline healthcare workers ration them.

That was the primary reason they told people not to use N95s. Our hospital had enough for exactly one days worth at the start of the pandemic.

Yeah we should have give all of the N95s that didn’t exist to the elderly instead of letting the frontline healthcare workers ration them.

That was the primary reason they told people not to use N95s. Our hospital had enough for exactly one days worth at the start of the pandemic.
Too bad. Your hospital sounds unprepared.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT