ADVERTISEMENT

Stump that town - name a town in Iowa noone on this board has been

Sousy.....my Aunt and Uncle own a farm right outside Bolan. Remember when Letterman had the whole town on his show? All 12 of them. My mother if from Kensett.

Lincoln, Iowa
Fertile, Iowa
Morrison, Iowa
Kensett, Iowa

My dad always called towns like this "Poke and Plum". By the time you poke your head out the window, your plum through it.

Re: Anyone been to Cumming?

Originally posted by KnightHawk:
How about Gifford, Xenia, Lawn Hill, Bremer, Burt, Garden City, Bangor, and Beaman?

I think most of these have already been crossed off, but I've been to Lincoln, Dike, Jewell, Dysart, Garwin, and Morrison of those I can remember from above.

Blair

This post was edited on 12/3 6:02 PM

Where are you from KnightHawk? I grew up in Eldora so I've been to all of those except for Bremer and Burt.

A few more for the list:
Eagle City
New Providence
Owasa
Radcliffe
Steamboat Rock
Everly
Beamen
Whitten
Liscomb

Re: Orestes....

You forgot Dinsdale and Vorhees. LOL Not to mention Green Mountain, Union, Whitten, Beaman and Liscomb.

Metuo...there is a restaurant/bar called the Morris Inn there. Or at least there used to be.

Orestes....the whole town of Morrison was related I think. LOL Between the Schildroth and Folkerts families.

Re: multiple-sorry

Koszta? Is that how you spell it? It's pronounced Costee right? Right by Marengo? If so...been there, done that. ;-)

Re: .....Colwell

Originally posted by tcondon:
I know right where that is. Great little town used to have a hell of a softball team called Colwell Park. Pass through Elma and Alta Vista on the way.

That's awesome Tcondon! I didn't think anyone would get that one. Colwell Park gets you extra credit.

Clutier. Now THAT is a craphole and I do think everyone there is related. Honestly.

Buckingham?
Montour?

ah, what a great thread

Believe it or not, I actually lived in Rubio for about 2 years when I was younger, lol

Hawk 24, you're right up my alley there bub, played softball many a weekend in Houghton and St. Paul (great volleball pit there as well).
Mt. Hamill is of course, home to the best fried chicken in the state

iahawkgirl .... Harper! what a great little place :)

Other easys are Selma, Floris, Bonaparte, Bentensport, and Farmington (home of the annual Strawberry Festival). My last 7-8 years in Iowa consisted of nothing but road tripping to every small town (and bar) in Southeast Iowa. If you've never experienced 4 Corners Tap, you must.

I've got one for yas ...... if anybody can tell me where Veo is (describe it), I owe ya a beer.
This post was edited on 12/4 12:01 AM

Originally posted by BJAHawk:
What Cheer, IA.

I got a speeding ticket in the lovely metropolis of What Cheer. Then, officer friendly decided that my car smelled like pot and asked if he could search everything. I said sure. He found nothing. I tried to tell him that it might be the coating on my new Midas mufflers but he needed to the full search to be sure.

SB-
I got searched by a trooper in Missouri for the same reason. It was the middle of winter and he made me stand outside. He threw all my stuff on the road, dumped my golf clubs out, etc, didn't find anything. Then he wrote me a 100 dollar speeding ticket (10 mph over, MO tickets are outrageous) and said I could go.

I had to put all my stuff back in my car! Prick.

SEC - played legion ball in Montour many moons ago - dated a girl from Quarry for about a week which is just up the tracks.

kriegz - there is no Veo. I've bummed all over that state - no Veo.

OK, Regis - before I crash - give me a hint. The rest are asleep or in a a stupor - I'll keep it to myself.

lol (Regis) .... all-right, you know where Richland is? Pleasant Plain?

Richland I've heard of - Pleasant Hill I've heard of - Pleasant Plain?? Are you fantasizing??

well, if you haven't heard of Pleasant Plain, then there's no way you'll know Veo. Veo rules! not really.

Pleasant Plain is easy. Anyone who's every driven south to/thru Fairfield knows where PP is.

O we of little faith! I am humbled and ashamed - I did a google on Veo and it surely lives in Penn township near Fairfield. Interesting little history - named after Velenzi Ovington Jones. Won't be on your next current events test but an interesting tidbit.

Rubes in Montour is the best
and whoever said Clutier is a shithole is right

i'm from a small town too (Garwin) so most of the central iowa small towns mentioined i played against in whatever sport

what about the town of Quarry between LeGrand and Marshalltown?
one road into town and only about 4 houses

Chafed...

I actually went to school for a year in Rossie (1st grade). Then they moved the elementary to Royal (which is where I was from anyway). Clay Central was Royal, Rossie and Greenville. My sophomore year the Clay Central Comanches merged with the Everly Cattlefeeders. And became the Clay Central-Everly Mavericks. Who was your gramps, by the way?

BallHawk

Ballhawk

Everly Cattlefeeders??? Are you serious? That was a school name? I would have liked to see the mascot.
This post was edited on 12/4 8:48 AM

Sousy.....my Aunt and Uncle own a farm right outside Bolan. Remember when Letterman had the whole town on his show? All 12 of them. My mother if from Kensett.

Yup. And the old lady that turned red and giggled when Letterman asked "Who's the town slut?"

(I'm from the area, too: outside Manly)

My dad always called towns like this "Poke and Plum". By the time you poke your head out the window, your plum through it.

Man...

Re: Ballhawk

It gets better.

Back in the day, school nicknames typically added an "ette" for the girls yeams.

You guessed it.

Cattlefeederettes.

Kevin

Didn't the great Jeanette Olsen(sp)play for the Everly Cattle Feeders? They were a powerhouse program and a constant at the State Tournament in the 60's.

Anybody been to Garrison or Mount Auburn?

Yes to Olson. She was a great player. Those were the halcyon days for girls BB in Iowa.

Garrison? Sure. My in-laws farm on 218 south of Vinton so I've been Garrison a number of times.

Kevin

Without reading through 4 pages of posts.........

Dinsdale, Ia

Used to be a broom factory there. Now, I think it's just one big farm.

Mike

Originally posted by Eyeowahawks:
I've been to Balltown (Little League, Breitbachs Restaurant)
I've been to Bankston (One of my best friends is from there)
I've been to Graf

How about these two:

Waupeton, IA
North Buena Vista, IA

Oh, and Jesse Schieltz, I think I know your brother.

North Buena Vista

Been there several times. The "Buenie" picnic used to be the biggest drunkfest. I think it was on Labor Day weekend?? Or was that the New Vienna drunkfest? They all blend together. Apparently before my time there was a big gambling bust at the Buenie picnic. Priests and nuns were arrested for running an illegal bingo setup. Used to be a big deal.

Little known fact about Dinsdale - Back in the late 1940's, when Iowa Boy's Basketball had just one class for all schools regarless of size, Dinsdale play Davenport for the State Title. IIRC Dinsdale only had about 8 boys in the whole school...they lost.

Looks like Iowa could have made its own 'Hoosiers' movie. (if they would have won)

What is that town in Northeast Iowa that has the sign 'Population: 800 people and 1 old grump' or something like that.

I also have to give props to Rubes. That is probably the best grill your own steakhouse I have been to.

200 posts and this thread is less than a day old. There's no chance I'm going back through to determine if anyone actually stumped the board! It does seem that Iowans really do love their small towns, though.
This post was edited on 12/4 10:11 AM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT