ADVERTISEMENT

Stump that town - name a town in Iowa noone on this board has been

Metuo Accipiter

HR Legend
Sep 15, 2003
Every year on RAGBRAI I go through a lot of towns I never knew existed. I'm wondering if there is a town out there that is only know by one poster (basically unknown). Who can be the first to stump the board!?!? Odds are that town will be in western Iowa.

Only rule: It has to be a town that would show up on the Census (is incorporated)

I'll start with an easy one. Anyone ever been to Holstein, Iowa?
This post was edited on 12/4 12:41 PM

I have. I've also been to Schleswig. Numerous times, in fact.
This post was edited on 12/3 2:50 PM

How about this one?

Gram. Its by my hometown of Colesburg. I think I may have spelled it wrong though.

Heck, there probably have only been a handful of people on this board that have been to Colesburg.

Originally posted by CJBauer:
How about Vail or Deloit?
I think I've been through Vail: Is it part of ArWeVa? Arcadia, Westside, and Vail?
This post was edited on 12/3 2:57 PM

Holstein is right next to Galva.

Colesburg is right next to Edgewood.

I met a guy last year and asked him where he was from.

He looked me square in the eye and very matter-of-factly said Rubio, like I was supposed to know where in the hell that was.

How about Lost Nation, Elvira, or Toronto?
This post was edited on 12/3 2:59 PM

I remember the name Varina from RAGBRAI - I don't think we went through it, though. Just by it.
This post was edited on 12/3 3:06 PM

Yes, Vail is part of ArWeVa (the first school district in Iowa to combine like that...back in the 50's)

Highway 30 Denison to Vail to Westside to Arcadia to Carroll

Haven't been to Sutliff, but isn't there some kind of race held there?

Granny,

I think Little Cedar is by Osage- either on 218 S or 18 I remember seeing the sign when I go to my sister's place in Iowa City. Is this right?

Iowahawkgirl- Eldora is where they have a state penitentary, I've been to eldora, not the pen.

Cloudhawk= How about Mona, IA.
This post was edited on 12/3 3:13 PM

yes, sutliff has a road race. It's best know for this large old rusty bridge that is closed - the town is on the Cedar River - and they have a big picnic table on it so you can order bar food and take it out to the bridge to eat.

sutliff race

Mapleton: Hometown of Todd Berkenpass and perham1 I remember when the Mapleton vs Denison basketball game had to be moved to Denison because Mapleton's gym wouldn't hold all of the people...Lute Olsen and Johnny Orr were both there that night...

Hawkgirl10

Farley has the race track.

Eldora has the juvenile home.
This post was edited on 12/3 3:14 PM

Originally posted by CJBauer:
Mapleton: Hometown of Todd Berkenpass and perham1 I remember when the Mapleton vs Denison basketball game had to be moved to Denison because Mapleton's gym wouldn't hold all of the people...Lute Olsen and Johnny Orr were both there that night...
Perham1 was from there! Man! (just kidding).

I was at that game. Todd was also a great baseball player.

Ute, Charter Oak, or Rickets.

I know a poster's from Ute, but he may not be reading this.

"I've seen the road sign for What Cheer. Does that count?"

Since I've only drove through the town, I'll except that, IQ45. ;-)

I get around Iowa quite a bit for work, just in the last few months I've been to:

Highlandville
Bluffton
Freeport
Rossie
Greenville
Gillett Grove
Ira
Humeston
Irwin
Swan
Mark
Knoke (by Varina!)
Metz

Not sure if they are incorporated or not.

Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24
I've been to Lost Nation; I wrote a story about it for my book.

Has anyone (other than SEC) been to Morrison, Iowa? Or Dike?

Normparker

Rubio is close to Talleyrand. Duh! ;^)

I have relatives from Rubio. I think they are as old as the town.

ADVERTISEMENT