ADVERTISEMENT

Stump that town - name a town in Iowa noone on this board has been

Re: Pisgah??

The population of Pisgah is approximately 268.
The approximate number of families is 141.

I was wondering if it still existed.

For you older guys, remember the bread commercials and the trucker, C. W. McCall? Old Home bread or something.

SpinningBird, I haven't even heard of those towns much less been there.

I've been to Dike. What about Battle Creek or Ida Grove? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (love that movie!!)

Orestes

I remember a group of us driving through Morrison on a cross-country trip from Ames to Cedar Falls - had to stop at every bar we drove by. Can't remember if there was a bar in that town.

Dike's too easy. 8^)

Anyone been to Wadena?

This was a town I've passed through on Ragbrai. Talk about backwards. They did have a claim to fame though, supposedly a major concert was held there in the 70s.

Originally posted by Hawkigirl10:
I've been to Dike. What about Battle Creek or Ida Grove? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (love that movie!!)
I've been to both Battle Creek (had a sister born there) and Ida Grove.

Saw the first Star Wars movie in Ida Grove.

It was the home of Byron Goberson, if that rings a bell.

I think What Cheer is down by Ottumwa, when I lived in Ottumwa as a kid they always had pretty good slowpitch softball teams from there. I think I even went to watch games there with my friend's family.

Cloudhawk= I can't believe some of these towns

Yes, yes, and yes...

Originally posted by IQ45:
Ute, Charter Oak, or Rickets.

I know a poster's from Ute, but he may not be reading this.

Boyer and Breda...Templeton...Dow City...Birmingham...Keosauqua

Primghar, Ritter, Ashton, Ireton, Paullina, Alton, and my personal favorite Melvin. I'm originally from Sheldon, but I'm guessing most of you know the hometown of the Brands brothers.

Originally posted by CJBauer:
Yes, yes, and yes...

Ute, Charter Oak, or Rickets.

I know a poster's from Ute, but he may not be reading this.

Boyer and Breda...Templeton...Dow City...Birmingham...Keosauqua

CJ, what were you doing in Rickets?

My mom was born there on the kitchen table of their house, believe it or not. On Hallowween, to boot.

Good old Aunt Dora lived there a long time, too.

been t
I've seen the road sign for What Cheer. Does that count?

been to what cheer more than i can count. how about Guernsey??

Wow, I have never heard of any of these towns mentioned.

The only ones I have heard of is What Cheer because I've seen it on a sign. I always thought it was a funny name.

The only town I have been to mentioned is Lost Nation. Back in high school, my friends and I ended up in Lost Nation on one of our "drives"... it was a creepy place

"I'll start with an easy one. Anyone ever been to Holstein, Iowa?"

Is it anywhere near Guernsey, IA?

Originally posted by Sal_Paradise:
Anyone been to Wadena?

This was a town I've passed through on
Ragbrai. Talk about backwards. They did have a claim to fame though,
supposedly a major concert was held there in the 70s.

Yup. My dad went to that festival in the early 70s, and even he (having just returned from Vietnam) was a bit freaked out by some of the things that happened at the festival.

I think there are still some laws on the books in Iowa that are from that festival. (Stuff like numbers of people in confined places, sewage handling, stuff like that...)

RAGBRAIers...

So, if people have done RAGBRAI, has anyone done "BRR" (The Bike Ride to Rippey?)

Now Rippey... the "Rippey Tap" is somewhat 'quaint'?

Anyone been to Joice or Fertile, IA?

Re: RAGBRAIers...

Thanks Sousy,
I always wanted to hear more about that festival. The fact that it was still talked about 25 years later had to mean something.

Re: multiple-sorry

I've hooked up with Jewel. Does that count?
Ok, I'm lying.

jewel.jpg

Anyone been to Conesville? They used to have a great mexican restaurant there. Can't remember the name.

Re: RAGBRAIers...

Just for fun, I did a Google for "Wadena Rock Festival" where I found two references.

One on a site for a guy named "Big Mike Edwards" that had this blurb:

The biggest show that Big Mike has ever performed at is the Wadena Rock Festival in August of 1970, which brought about 10,000 people to a farm outside of the little northeast Iowa town to see acts that included The Doobie Brothers, Sons Of Champlin, REO Speedwagon, Joan Baez, Poco, and The Flying Burrito Brothers.

The second was a reference in a legal opinion:

Carter argues, however, that the statute is “aimed at preventing large drug gatherings.” He observes that section 124.407 was enacted following the controversial 1970 rock festival that took place in Wadena, Iowa, at which drug usage was prevalent. See 1971 Iowa Acts ch. 148, § 407. Carter also points out that section 124.407 allows the authorities to obtain an injunction prohibiting such an assemblage:

The district court shall grant an injunction barring a meeting, gathering, or assemblage if upon hearing the court finds that the sponsors or promoters of the meeting, gathering, or assemblage have not taken reasonable means to prevent the unlawful distribution, use or possession of a controlled substance. Further injunctive relief may be granted against all persons furnishing goods or services to such meeting, gathering, or assemblage.

He contends this remedy obviously envisions an advertised event and not a small, private gathering such as the one that occurred in his hotel room.

Although the Wadena rock festival may well have been the impetus for the legislature’s adoption of section 124.407, there is nothing in the legislative history to indicate the prevention of such events was the only goal of the general assembly in enacting the statute....

http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/supreme/opinions/19980729/97-1214.asp

Originally posted by syface:
University Park, home of Vennard College.

Vennard College, the only college that I know of with their very own miniature golf course.

Originally posted by bihtime:
Anyone been to Conesville? They used to have a great mexican restaurant there. Can't remember the name.
I've been to that restaurant. Can't remember the name, either.

conesville - close to the Thirsty Camel

El Charo? Isn't that the name?? I think it closed
This post was edited on 12/3 4:07 PM

ADVERTISEMENT