ADVERTISEMENT

Suburban Women Swing Toward Backing Republicans for Congress

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003

New WSJ poll shows key group of midterm voters favors the GOP by 15 percentage points​

WASHINGTON—White suburban women, a key group of midterm voters, have significantly shifted their support from Democrats to Republicans in the closing days of midterm campaigning because of rising concerns over the economy and inflation, according to the latest Wall Street Journal poll.

The new survey shows that white women living in suburban areas, who make up 20% of the electorate, now favor Republicans for Congress by 15 percentage points, moving 27 percentage points away from Democrats since the Journal’s August poll. It also suggests that the topic of abortion rights has faded in importance after Democrats saw energy on that issue this summer in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Suburban Woman

s3g4hCH.jpg

Not surprised. My suburban women neighbors tell me abortion is a concern but they can afford to fly to California for an abortion if necessary.

• Haha
Reactions: naturalbornhawk
Republicans successfully Willy Hortoned the midterms. It's more disappointing that Suburban women are more than willing to kiss their rights to make decisions about their own bodies away because they are afraid of some abstract threat that minorities will come and rob them.

Last edited:
I know something when I see it after spending decades watching people vote against their own self interest. They, most often, do so out of hatred so I'm not shedding any tears for them.

You could argue there is some of that, say, with the right voting in politicians with economic policy that doesn't really benefit them the way it could. (of course they're drawn in on social shit)

I think though, looking at latinos and women... their top priorities are the same as most and, apparently, are big enough so as to supersede any specific woman or latino problems. This is why Trump gained latino voters.

Not getting that makes you out of touch. If you're looking at it from a perspective of strategy by dems, they need to be more in touch with actual potential democratic voters and their interests. Not what chattering class likes to bitch about. Out of touch.

Republicans successfully Willy Hortoned the midterms. It's more disappointing that Suburban women are more than willing to kiss their rights to make decisions about their own bodies because they are afraid of some abstract threat that minorities will come and rob them.
Abstract threat that minorities will come and rob them? Ughhh? No.

Republicans successfully Willy Hortoned the midterms. It's more disappointing that Suburban women are more than willing to kiss their rights to make decisions about their own bodies because they are afraid of some abstract threat that minorities will come and rob them.
Wow, you nailed it. Suburban white women are trending republican bc they're afraid of the minorities... jfc some of you guys are beyond help.

I think around here, there’s less agreement with the Republican platforms, and yuge fear of /disagreement with the progressive Democrat platforms regarding public education. Not that I’m not a white woman, just what I’ve observed here

I know something when I see it after spending decades watching people vote against their own self interest. They, most often, do so out of hatred so I'm not shedding any tears for them.
Nor have most of us over the last 2 years. Thankfully it appears most of them have learned.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
I think around here, there’s less agreement with the Republican platforms, and yuge fear of /disagreement with the progressive Democrat platforms regarding public education. Not that I’m not a white woman, just what I’ve observed here
Is it really specific stuff or just a generalized rejection because of whatever reason?

Is it really specific stuff or just a generalized rejection because of whatever reason?
They’ve latched onto specific things - gender books appearing in the library app for children (not a boogeyman- I saw it here locally), unisex bathrooms (this is dumb, they are single use bathrooms), teachers proactively asking middle schoolers what their pronouns are.
Some of them are your typical idiots getting whipped into a frenzy, some have done their due diligence are are genuinely voting against Dem vs supporting Republicans.

just my take, that’s what’s driving that group to the polls around here.

You might be right!

but, it could also be that these suburban women typically balance their family’s budget, do the shopping, occasionally purchase gasoline, and maybe care deeply about what’s going on in the classrooms?

I’m more than happy for you to run with your narrative though. Racism sells in your department.

Reactions: ICHerky
You might be right!

but, it could also be that these suburban women typically balance their family’s budget, do the shopping, occasionally purchase gasoline, and maybe care deeply about what’s going on in the classrooms?

I’m more than happy for you to run with your narrative though. Racism sells in your department.
Republican led states also have worse educational standards.

You might be right!

Maybe, but that's not what Republicans have been campaigning on. Every advertisement I see are black people caught on surveillance cameras committing crimes against white people. I mean, they don't say it but I sure haven't seen any ads with white people committing crimes. Oh, they might mention the economy at the very end...but that's not what the add was about. You don't like the narrative, then maybe you should wonder why these candidates keep pushing it.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkman34
Not surprised. My suburban women neighbors tell me abortion is a concern but they can afford to fly to California for an abortion if necessary.
Are morning after pills not sold where you live?
Birth control pills not prescribed?

Reactions: Hawkman34

New WSJ poll shows key group of midterm voters favors the GOP by 15 percentage points​

WASHINGTON—White suburban women, a key group of midterm voters, have significantly shifted their support from Democrats to Republicans in the closing days of midterm campaigning because of rising concerns over the economy and inflation, according to the latest Wall Street Journal poll.

The new survey shows that white women living in suburban areas, who make up 20% of the electorate, now favor Republicans for Congress by 15 percentage points, moving 27 percentage points away from Democrats since the Journal’s August poll. It also suggests that the topic of abortion rights has faded in importance after Democrats saw energy on that issue this summer in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Suburban Woman

ADVERTISEMENT