ADVERTISEMENT

Suddenly we have transitioned to the youngest

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
Staff in the big 10, you have to admit it's ironic! Also pretty exciting to see them add someone from the Miami area and someone with the energy and knowledge that coach TP has.

KF continues to astound me in his ability to try and reinvent things. Seemingly makes that KOK hire all the more important.

Like most everyone I get frustrated when they lose, and have even pulled back my involvement to a degree because I'm too old to be mad and upset about how 18 to 23-year-old kids perform.

With that said Hayden and now Kirk have performed above Iowas historic level for close to 40 years now and it's something to be happy and proud about and I think we still have the ability for another upswing it'll be exciting to find out!

Staff in the big 10, you have to admit it's ironic! Also pretty exciting to see them add someone from the Miami area and someone with the energy and knowledge that coach TP has.

KF continues to astound me in his ability to try and reinvent things. Seemingly makes that KOK hire all the more important.

Like most everyone I get frustrated when they lose, and have even pulled back my involvement to a degree because I'm too old to be mad and upset about how 18 to 23-year-old kids perform.

With that said Hayden and now Kirk have performed above Iowas historic level for close to 40 years now and it's something to be happy and proud about and I think we still have the ability for another upswing it'll be exciting to find out!

>>>>KF continues to astound me in his ability to try and reinvent things.

LOL

I think it will help recruiting...interested to see if Brian is a little more deceptive on the offensive side of the ball. Hopefully, the four offensive coaches can put together a well balanced offense. I'm excited about the changes in the staff!

Reactions: And1Hawk

Actually no.....it's not ironic at all.

While I was vehemently against Brian being made offensive coordinator, I have to say I am very pleased with the KOK, Polasek and Copeland hires. It shows Kirk has finally got it into his head that our offense has been flat-out abysmal. I applaud the effort he has been putting into addressing the problem.

Actually no.....it's not ironic at all.

"happening in the opposite way to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this."

Our critics whined and cried that we were too old and recycling old/bad coaches and everyone in the big 10 was younger....which after review and the addition of these hires, we are exactly the opposite....and it did indeed cause wry amusement..:D

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
While I was vehemently against Brian being made offensive coordinator, I have to say I am very pleased with the KOK, Polasek and Copeland hires. It shows Kirk has finally got it into his head that our offense has been flat-out abysmal. I applaud the effort he has been putting into addressing the problem.

Well that's because you are anti-anything Ferentz so that isn't surprising and as bad as our offense was last year, you cats were applauding KF and GD finally getting it the year before and how different things were....showing you are clueless and your opinion is irrelevant.

"happening in the opposite way to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this."

Our critics whined and cried that we were too old and recycling old/bad coaches and everyone in the big 10 was younger....which after review and the addition of these hires, we are exactly the opposite....and it did indeed cause wry amusement..:D

An old staff becoming younger is not ironic. It would be expected that they would become younger at some point. An old staff becoming older would be a better example of irony. Like a fitness guru keeling over due to a heart attack.

I agree, it isn't ironic. They got rid a really old coach and replaced him with a guy in his 30's and got rid of Kennedy who I think was in his 50's. I didn't expect them to hire two position assistants that were really old.

So...

These two coaches, NIU and NDSU. Teams whose QB's usually had some "designed runs with the QB" if I understand them correct.

Then, Stanley and Mansell. I know Mansell ran the ball a lot in HS. For some reason I think Nate did also, a wing-T QB.

Hires geared towards a possible shift in that direction? Not really a massive shift, just employing it as an option away from "scramble only pro-set" type QB's with respect to running the QB. An added twist so to speak.

Just spitballing here...but the last QB we had where Iowa would design runs for them more than a wrinkle here and there was probably Chandler and a little Tate. Sure, you'd have play-action boots and quite a few sneaks...

Reactions: ichawk24
I'll confess, I started this thread because I thought it would be a nice spot to get excited about the variety and diversity of the staff, knowing full well that the critics would be powerless to stay away.

I worded my rhetoric in such a way that I knew they'd come and be the boorish clouts they are. People need to be shown for what they are. They can NOT ever be positive, they aren't likely positive in any aspect of there lives and honestly they are just bitter, crappy people. Its really sad, I'd tell them to pick a new team but they'd be just as rotten to that fan base and team as well...

I agree, it isn't ironic. They got rid a really old coach and replaced him with a guy in his 30's and got rid of Kennedy who I think was in his 50's. I didn't expect them to hire two position assistants that were really old.

:p

Just playing and I contend it is ironic based on the fans and their complaining...not based on the coaches because obviously KF doesn't work based on what the fans think. In fact I had no preconceived notion of what he would or wouldn't do therefore making him somewhat the antithesis or maybe rather incapable of being involved in my theory of ironic behavior....:D

Just 2 years ago - we weren't getting as much recruiting push from Greg Davis or Jim Reid. Now we have a number of younger guys ... along with an older guy who was always responsible for connecting us with some decent talent in New England.

Just curious, where did you get the stat on us being the youngest?
If someone out there had done the math, I'd like to see where each staff lines up.

Just playing and I contend it is ironic based on the fans and their complaining...not based on the coaches because obviously KF doesn't work based on what the fans think. In fact I had no preconceived notion of what he would or wouldn't do therefore making him somewhat the antithesis or maybe rather incapable of being involved in my theory of ironic behavior....:D

Not only does he not work according to some of these people, but he doesn't care about anything Iowa, especially the football program. That has to be some of the most ridiculous crap I have ever read on this board.

WTF just happened here? Did you actually just post something positive and complimentary towards Ferentz and the Iowa football program?

Just 2 years ago - we weren't getting as much recruiting push from Greg Davis or Jim Reid. Now we have a number of younger guys ... along with an older guy who was always responsible for connecting us with some decent talent in New England.

Yes agreed.....honestly Homer, you are a learned guy, why do you think people are so miserable and hateful towards coaches on here.

An old staff becoming younger is not ironic. It would be expected that they would become younger at some point. An old staff becoming older would be a better example of irony. Like a fitness guru keeling over due to a heart attack.

Yes I suppose that would be ironic and a super sad example...now if you saw my follow up with Dave, the irony is direct towards the accompanist, not the staff, because yes that is inevitable.

Just curious, where did you get the stat on us being the youngest?
If someone out there had done the math, I'd like to see where each staff lines up.

Full disclosure.....I guessed, but I know UM and tOSU had as old or older a staff than we did and we now have 5 guys, Brian, Levar, Copeland, TP and Wallace in their 30's, couldn't be many younger than that I would guess.

I'm just waiting for the critic to come around and call us young and inexperienced....:D

Brian Ferentz, Kelvin Bell, Seth Wallace, Tim Polasek, Kelton Copeland, Levar Woods all in their 30's. And I would imagine the next hire will be as well. And then 4 old guys.

But did the fans actually think all of the hires would be old? Not that this debate matters at all. What matters is they look like they got some good assistants.

Reactions: DirtyD1971
Yes agreed.....honestly Homer, you are a learned guy, why do you think people are so miserable and hateful towards coaches on here.

Go read any football message board. 95% of fans hate their coaches and think they would do a better job of calling plays.

Reactions: cmhawks99
There are a bunch of factors - sometimes they play in concert for some individuals - other times only one or two factors are what influences the fan to turn negative.
  • First and foremost, fans ultimately want their program to be successful or "more" successful. If the level of success isn't to their liking, then they want to see change that will hopefully bring about the level of success they desire. Thus, oddly enough HOPE is what drives a lot of fans. The negativity of some then stems from the fact that they don't see hope with Ferentz at the helm.
  • Stemming from the above point - some fans then even see (or seek) causal relationship between Iowa's lack of success and things done by the coach or coaches. Once people get a certain idea in their head ... then let themselves get further swayed from their own confirmation bias rather than really trying to deduce things more objectively. For example, through the years people watch ESPN and they hear about the schemes implemented by your Rich Rods, your Chip Kellys, and Dana Holgorsens ... and they're then told how "inventive" and "creative" those schemes are ... and when they contrast that with the scheme of the Hawks and they then infer that the Hawks are somehow "behind the times." If you especially consider the former and latter example - both of those schemes are fundamentally simple ... implementing very OLD FOOTBALL ideas, just making the read for their QB even more simple (often keying on a single defensive player) - thereby making it easier for them to get the ball in space. Thus, fundamentally, their approach to football is to degenerate the college game so that it is more like the high school game. They're not trying to out-block you or out-football you ... they're simply trying to out-speed or out-quickness you.
  • We're very much in the day and age of fantasy football. Thus, your armchair coaches essentially view players as plug-and-play entities. Thus, they fail to consider players as students of the game ... who actually start off their football career on the proverbial bottom rung ... and have to climb their way up to improve. Consequently, since blaming the players for executing poorly is apparently off the menu, they blame the coaches instead. Since such fans are rarely logical, they ignore past precedent that Iowa teams typically execute at a very high level ... and consequently see the lack of execution of the players as a signature of poor coaching. Again, in this case, a very special interpretation of objective data ends up feeding into the confirmation bias feedback loop.
  • To many Iowa fans, the blue-collar"ness" of Ferentz and his football philosophy is viewed as a very positive attribute. This is because many fans are blue-collar themselves. However, some of these same blue-collar fans turn on Ferentz because they get prejudiced by his material success. They can understand him earning a lot of money if the Hawks are successful ... but it seems to almost insult them when the Hawks are middling. Many folks simply don't understand how leverage works in an academic environment. In academia, you typically can only ascend the ladder if you can show that you have suitors from elsewhere. Many friends of mine in industry tell me that the situation isn't altogether different in industry either ... in some senses it's like establishing yourself as a commodity and then trying to have competition drive up your price. Hopefully, it goes without saying that it is very much like a high-stakes poker sort of game ... because if you like where you're at ... you need to still be willing to leave if somebody calls your bluff. Ferentz and his agent have obviously been very successful leveraging his successes. Anyhow, Ferentz's wealth obviously fosters resentment among a percentage of the fanbase.

There are a bunch of factors - sometimes they play in concert for some individuals - other times only one or two factors are what influences the fan to turn negative.
  • First and foremost, fans ultimately want their program to be successful or "more" successful. If the level of success isn't to their liking, then they want to see change that will hopefully bring about the level of success they desire. Thus, oddly enough HOPE is what drives a lot of fans. The negativity of some then stems from the fact that they don't see hope with Ferentz at the helm.
  • Stemming from the above point - some fans then even see (or seek) causal relationship between Iowa's lack of success and things done by the coach or coaches. Once people get a certain idea in their head ... then let themselves get further swayed from their own confirmation bias rather than really trying to deduce things more objectively. For example, through the years people watch ESPN and they hear about the schemes implemented by your Rich Rods, your Chip Kellys, and Dana Holgorsens ... and they're then told how "inventive" and "creative" those schemes are ... and when they contrast that with the scheme of the Hawks and they then infer that the Hawks are somehow "behind the times." If you especially consider the former and latter example - both of those schemes are fundamentally simple ... implementing very OLD FOOTBALL ideas, just making the read for their QB even more simple (often keying on a single defensive player) - thereby making it easier for them to get the ball in space. Thus, fundamentally, their approach to football is to degenerate the college game so that it is more like the high school game. They're not trying to out-block you or out-football you ... they're simply trying to out-speed or out-quickness you.
  • We're very much in the day and age of fantasy football. Thus, your armchair coaches essentially view players as plug-and-play entities. Thus, they fail to consider players as students of the game ... who actually start off their football career on the proverbial bottom rung ... and have to climb their way up to improve. Consequently, since blaming the players for executing poorly is apparently off the menu, they blame the coaches instead. Since such fans are rarely logical, they ignore past precedent that Iowa teams typically execute at a very high level ... and consequently see the lack of execution of the players as a signature of poor coaching. Again, in this case, a very special interpretation of objective data ends up feeding into the confirmation bias feedback loop.
  • To many Iowa fans, the blue-collar"ness" of Ferentz and his football philosophy is viewed as a very positive attribute. This is because many fans are blue-collar themselves. However, some of these same blue-collar fans turn on Ferentz because they get prejudiced by his material success. They can understand him earning a lot of money if the Hawks are successful ... but it seems to almost insult them when the Hawks are middling. Many folks simply don't understand how leverage works in an academic environment. In academia, you typically can only ascend the ladder if you can show that you have suitors from elsewhere. Many friends of mine in industry tell me that the situation isn't altogether different in industry either ... in some senses it's like establishing yourself as a commodity and then trying to have competition drive up your price. Hopefully, it goes without saying that it is very much like a high-stakes poker sort of game ... because if you like where you're at ... you need to still be willing to leave if somebody calls your bluff. Ferentz and his agent have obviously been very successful leveraging his successes. Anyhow, Ferentz's wealth obviously fosters resentment among a percentage of the fanbase.

WOW, awesome stuff, very much agreed and clearly something you've put thought into. Your "spread" attack comments are dead on and something most fans have no clue about.

Also confirmation bias is a BIG problem in our society.

Why were you "vehemently" against it. Do you have a fact-based reason why he shouldn't....or is it your steadfast hatred for Iowa football?

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
WOW, awesome stuff, very much agreed and clearly something you've put thought into. Your "spread" attack comments are dead on and something most fans have no clue about.

Also confirmation bias is a BIG problem in our society.
Oddly enough, if you look at teams that have really been successful in the Big 10 ... some of the mainstays have been OSU, Michigan State, and Wisconsin (and occasionally Iowa). With the exception of OSU under Meyer .... OSU under Tressell, MSU, and Wisconsin have all been more "traditional" pro-style offenses.

Similarly, if you look at some of the most recent "dynasty" teams ... both Alabama under Saban and USC under Carroll are/were pro-style offenses.

= national championships guaranteed

#thehypeisreal

I hear Ya...on one hand the changes are welcome...on the other i wonder if the patent office is tired of the wheel being re-submitted over and over...

Why would they be Iowa is way above their historical numbers, I don't think people grasp this. All they have to do is look around the college football landscape and see the troubles teams are having replacing solid coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT