ADVERTISEMENT

Suit against ISU women's BB coach

IamHawkeye

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2001
Only pertains to football because of the accusations by the player. Only one player, but Bball has. many fewer players. I think I remember another former player agreeing with her. Anyway, what happened and did the player bringing the suit get any damages?

Only pertains to football because of the accusations by the player. Only one player, but Bball has. many fewer players. I think I remember another former player agreeing with her. Anyway, what happened and did the player bringing the suit get any damages?

giphy.gif

ISU was going to fight it, but was able to settle for a much smaller amount than the initial suit as I recall. The player (Nikki Moody) ended up getting $60K. The main focus of the suit was that Fennelly sabotaged her WNBA chances, and that abusive treatment was secondary

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ill-fennelly-iowa-state-settlement/363711001/

A couple of her teammates backed her up, but most didn't, which probably undercut the suit. Fennelly has a reputation as an old school, in-your-face style coach, and has had his share of players leave the program early. I read a post on Cyclone Fanatic once from a guy who claimed to have watched a practice. He said if anyone had talked to his daughter the way Fennelly talked to his players, he'd have decked him. That said, he still gets recruits, gets to the NCAA more often than not, and supposedly has one of his best classes coming in this season.

ISU was going to fight it, but was able to settle for a much smaller amount than the initial suit as I recall. The player (Nikki Moody) ended up getting $60K. The main focus of the suit was that Fennelly sabotaged her WNBA chances, and that abusive treatment was secondary

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ill-fennelly-iowa-state-settlement/363711001/

A couple of her teammates backed her up, but most didn't, which probably undercut the suit. Fennelly has a reputation as an old school, in-your-face style coach, and has had his share of players leave the program early. I read a post on Cyclone Fanatic once from a guy who claimed to have watched a practice. He said if anyone had talked to his daughter the way Fennelly talked to his players, he'd have decked him. That said, he still gets recruits, gets to the NCAA more often than not, and supposedly has one of his best classes coming in this season.
As long as Iowa > ISU then he can bring in all the great recruiting classes he wants.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

When Jamie Vander Beeken soaked. the cookies in the fountain. Nobody Told him. how much he hates pheasant. Juice.

Nikki chose her college poorly. It would have been easy for her to find out Fennelly coaches hard before she verballed or singed a LOI. Most good coaches do coach 'hard'. Fran does and most of his players love him because he has their back. Ask Tyler Cook.

Something does not add up that she waited until her senior year to have her meltdown. Why not transfer out as a So. or Jr. and get a fresh start? What changed?

I suspect that as a SR. PG and perhaps the best player on the team, coach BF put more leadership responsibilities on Nikki's shoulders and she couldn't handle it.

Having watched Nikki Moody play for 4 years, I never got the feel she had enough talent or toughness to play in the WNBA. Maybe professionally overseas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT