ADVERTISEMENT

Summary of Super Senior Year possibilities and Underclassman considering NFL Draft

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
Here is the latest on what I have heard and read this past week:

As Blair has mentioned, the deadline to declare for the 2022 NFL Draft is January 17, so we will have some definitive answers by that date.

Tyler Linderbaum is most likely a top 15 pick in this year's draft, so I definitely think he is declaring for the draft.
Riley Moss accepted a Senior Bowl invitation and I believe that he will play in the Senior Bowl and enter the NFL Draft.

That leaves 3 primary players who can decide on using a super senior year and come back next year.
1. Charlie Jones - It would be huge to have Charlie back just for the Return game alone.
2. Jack Koerner - Experienced leader - would be great to have another year
3. Kyler Schott - Have heard the wear and tear on his body may ultimately lead to him being done, but would likely be a Pre-Season All Conference pick if he returns.

The 3 biggest juniors who may be considering the NFL Draft are:
1. Jack Campbell - Possibly could be a Pre-Season 1st Team All American if he returns
2. Dane Belton - Led Big 10 with 5 picks
3. Sam LaPorta - Iowa's leader in receptions and yards

My opinion is that all three juniors come back for another year.

If Jones and Koerner come back, I see Iowa being a Pre-Season top 20 team next year.

Reactions: Torg
Schott said he was done in an interview during Illinois week. He said the coaches did not approach him about coming back for an extra year.

After the Linderbaum decision, the 3 juniors you identified are the most interesting questions.
I haven't seen where Campbell is looking in mocks but he's got to be getting some interest.

I’ll be very surprised if Campbell and Belton leave.
I'll be MORE surprised if they don't.

At this point, any time you get "rated" or "projected" as a draft pick, you gotta go. No guarantee of improving your draft position, no guarantee of team success, and most of all, no guarantee of staying injury-free/healthy.

Reasons I can see guys staying past junior season:
--More work to do toward degree, and/or, want to get started post-graduate work
--Don't plan to play post-collegiate, just want to enjoy the college FRB experience
--NO scouting/rating service projects you to be drafted, but DOES project you in following year

I'll be MORE surprised if they don't.

At this point, any time you get "rated" or "projected" as a draft pick, you gotta go. No guarantee of improving your draft position, no guarantee of team success, and most of all, no guarantee of staying injury-free/healthy.

Reasons I can see guys staying past junior season:
--More work to do toward degree, and/or, want to get started post-graduate work
--Don't plan to play post-collegiate, just want to enjoy the college FRB experience
--NO scouting/rating service projects you to be drafted, but DOES project you in following year
What a 29th pick get guaranteed vs a 129th pick?

If Nwankpa, is as good as what people say, I wouldn't be overly concerned about which DB's go, if they go.
Might take some time for X to learn the scheme like any freshman. Physically he’s ready. I’m excited to see DeJean too. I’m assuming the coaches aren’t expecting him to be here more than 3/4 years since we burnt his redshirt on special teams.

After the Linderbaum decision, the 3 juniors you identified are the most interesting questions.
I haven't seen where Campbell is looking in mocks but he's got to be getting some interest.
Obviously would love to have Lindy back, but I'd be shocked if that happens. Not only a unanimous consensus 1st team AA, but Rimington winner as well, and he's received a TON of press this season. Don't see anyway coming back does anything positive for him personally. When Gallery and Scherff returned they won the Outland and 1st team AA that year, but Lindys already been there done that. Would love to have Campbell back as well.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
With Linderbaum back I could see the line get much better. David Davidkov (sp) is potentially a big piece if he’s healthy. A healthy Britt helps too. Of course Colby will start and some of the redshirt freshman may provide meaningful minutes. Others with starting experience could also help give us a serviceable line.

Tyler playing center hurts his draft stock, but he’s still going to make big money if he goes which I think is likely.

Obviously would love to have Lindy back, but I'd be shocked if that happens. Not only a unanimous consensus 1st team AA, but Rimington winner as well, and he's received a TON of press this season. Don't see anyway coming back does anything positive for him personally. When Gallery and Scherff returned they won the Outland and 1st team AA that year, but Lindys already been there done that. Would love to have Campbell back as well.
I don’t know why, but I have a gut feeling he wants to come back for another year and do something unprecedented at Iowa! Probably just wishful thinking

ADVERTISEMENT