ADVERTISEMENT

Summer long camps

Fan In Black

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2001
I just watched Meatballs for the first time in a long time. I was born in 1973 in Iowa. I have never heard of camps for kids that lasted all summer.

Is it a coastal thing? Anybody ever go to camp for the entire summer?

I just watched Meatballs for the first time in a long time. I was born in 1973 in Iowa. I have never heard of camps for kids that lasted all summer.

Is it a coastal thing? Anybody ever go to camp for the entire summer?
The camps my son attends are week long camps, though most are day camps at this point.

Reactions: Fan In Black
One of my best friends met his now 30+ years wife at one, they were counselors.

I remember they got Thursday evenings only where they could do what they want (but couldn't leave), so I'd get a call Thursday morning with The List of Needs, and we'd meet in the parking lot after dark. Usually about 15 counselors, and maybe 1 or 2 of us coming up to hang out and party.

Beer (just enough to drink all of it)
Weed (that they could keep and sneak off to abide daily)
Assorted 1st world stuff like soda, munchies, shampoo, deodorant, tampons (lots of 18ish year old gals that were counselors)...that kind of thing.

And hey, the ladies there had needs, and a few of them were quite fetching. Get 'em tipsy, take one down by the river, and get busy - skinny dipping was pretty much standard every time. Fun summer for me, got laid every Thursday, and I never worked a single minute there.

I always wanted to go to a camp for the summer but I got like a 3 day camp one summer. I’m guessing in farming states it would be a tough sell. Especially in the 70s.
I do have a friend from the northeast from a very wealthy family. When we were in Tahiti her mom talked about where they summered when she grew up. It sounded like that was just what was done in their circles. To be honest it was a little fascinating. I kind of thought that was just in movies.

I always did Boy Scout camp that was a week long back in the 90s.

I have a coworker sending his pre-teen kids to a camp in Wisconsin this summer where they’ll be gone for two months without coming home once. That feels a bit weird to me in this day and age.

I couldn't imagine sending your kids away for 2 months at like 11 years old. That just seems weird. Week long camps were fun as a kid and we sent a few of our kids off to do that. Good times always.

How wealthy do you have to be to be able to summer and move away for 2 months with the whole family? That is just insane.

ADVERTISEMENT