ADVERTISEMENT

Summer vacation ideas

BABiscuit

HR Legend
Jul 4, 2001
So the SBW continues to think we need to take a summer vacation. She has wanted to go to Florida, specifically Sanibel, for the last couple of years, but I have little interest in going to Florida in the summer. Timing wise, the only thing that works is the last half of July or the first week or August. And I will have 3 stupid kids between 10 and 5.

What are some vacation ideas that can include beaches, but won't be as miserable as Florida? We went to San Diego two summers ago and that was great, but probably need a new place.

Cape Cod is the best east coast place to go in the summer. Warm but not hot days, cool nights.

I have some good, specific suggestions if you are interested. My wife and I went there every summer for about 15 years; before and after kids.

When my kids were that age, our favorite vacation was to Duluth and the North Shore on up to Grand Marais. Have your wife take the kids and watch the ships roll in, and you can sit in Grandma's Saloon and down some cold ones !! IIRC, we did a Door County vacation one summer too, and the kids enjoyed that as well.

So the SBW continues to think we need to take a summer vacation. She has wanted to go to Florida, specifically Sanibel, for the last couple of years, but I have little interest in going to Florida in the summer. Timing wise, the only thing that works is the last half of July or the first week or August. And I will have 3 stupid kids between 10 and 5.

What are some vacation ideas that can include beaches, but won't be as miserable as Florida? We went to San Diego two summers ago and that was great, but probably need a new place.

The wife (pic in another thread) and I go to Newport Beach, CA at least once/year and stay on Balboa Peninsula. It is awesome. Weather like San Diego, miles and miles of beautiful beaches and awesome food. We fly into John Wayne airport which is 10 minutes from where we stay on the beach, we don't even rent a car. We typically get a rental either right on the beach or a few houses off. Tons of great restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance. If you liked San Diego, you'll love this. I have been to Sanibel multiple times, the weather sucks unless you like Africa heat and there are too many old people. Newport Beach is great little surfer town with cool locals and plenty of sights to look at .

Reactions: cigaretteman
Go white water rafting on the Arkansas river, near Buena Vista , Colorado. KIds will love it. You and the wife can go to the Eddyline Brewing Co. and grab a couple of cold Crank Yankers.
http://eddylinebrewing.com/

Atv off road rentals, hiking, biking, kayaking, horseback riding:
https://vacationidea.com/colorado/best-things-to-do-in-buena-vista.html
We stayed at 360628 and the deck/hot tub and view is awesome. Full moon rising above the river and mountains just behind the house was outstanding. The rapids roaring behind the house is cool too. Short but steep walk to the river.

https://www.vrbo.com/360628

https://www.vrbo.com/450555

https://www.vrbo.com/3718770ha

Twin Lakes Inn is at the end of the road.
https://www.thetwinlakesinn.com/

Prime rafting rentals filling up soon.

Last edited:
Lake of the Ozarks - Osage Beach. Boating, water sports, fishing, golfing, plenty of watering holes for the adults. Go-carts, miniature golf for the kids. A couple of wineries, entertainment, good food. Midwestern prices (i.e. very affordable).

Oh, did I mention I happen to own a rental condo there? ;)

Reactions: longliveCS40
Lake of the Ozarks - Osage Beach. Boating, water sports, fishing, golfing, plenty of watering holes for the adults. Go-carts, miniature golf for the kids. A couple of wineries, entertainment, good food. Midwestern prices (i.e. very affordable).

And you'd rent to an HROT schmuck....what's the damage deposit??

c3305497a908aed0e1792f5d6be8bb85b8878081952e9874ad45fe22692451d0.jpg

When my kids were that age, our favorite vacation was to Duluth and the North Shore on up to Grand Marais. Have your wife take the kids and watch the ships roll in, and you can sit in Grandma's Saloon and down some cold ones !! IIRC, we did a Door County vacation one summer too, and the kids enjoyed that as well.
Love that area. In the summer the ski place had a gravity roller coaster type thing and a sort of zip line that is safe and not scary for kids. Tour the harbor by boat. Several dinner drive in and dive places.

Two Harbors has a light house that you walk to on a breaker walk, several hundred yards from shore.

Have an old school train ride into the country also.

Gooseberry Falls is cool. IMAX and a theater also. Not to mention the curling club, Home of the gold medal.

Don't go 4th of July or Labor Day. The lake traffic is a death trap.

What MM is your place on and do you have a dock?

Believe it or not we had a great family vacation in and around Atlantic City. Youngest was 5 and the oldest was 8. Beach wasn't crowded and the kids had a blast.

SBW = stupid beatch wife? I'm not 100% up on all the hrot abbreviations so just checking.

Man, I remember when everyone on this board summered in the Hamptons. Now it’s just me. Place has gone to hell.

Check out Charleston or Savannah. Great cities. Charleston has a little more to offer, but with Savannah, you get a cool old city plus a string of islands. You can spend part of your time in Savannah proper and enjoy the old city and part of the trip out on Tybee Island with a pretty solid beach.

Check out Charleston or Savannah. Great cities. Charleston has a little more to offer, but with Savannah, you get a cool old city plus a string of islands. You can spend part of your time in Savannah proper and enjoy the old city and part of the trip out on Tybee Island with a pretty solid beach.
Love both cities but not much there for kids

Reactions: HarambeHawk
Love both cities but not much there for kids

There are actually some really good kids activities, but you do have to look a little harder. How many and how old? Our kids have enjoyed open markets, plantation tours, seeing some of the old forts down there, there are lighthouses, you can do some boat tours off the coast, etc.

What MM is your place on and do you have a dock?

Google Towers at Parkview Bay. It's in the State Park area on the east side of the Grand Glaize bridge about 1 mile. I have a dock, but I keep my own boat there. But our property manager is good at finding a slip for rent.

I have not done this, but heard Virginia Beach is great and family-friendly. Apparently there is a pretty cool boardwalk on the beach too.

I would suggest the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Never been and not real familiar with the area. What areas would you recommend staying? Family of 5. Is it mostly rental houses through places like VRBO? What are the primary family activities?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT