ADVERTISEMENT

Megan Gustafson / Dallas Wings Finish their Season at 10 Wins, 24 Losses (T-2nd worst WNBA Record)

I have watched a couple of games where she actually played, and saw her open and ask for the ball and it wasn't thrown to her but instead was thrown out of play, turnover, so i find it hard to understand why anyone thinks she has struggled on offense, without any explanation.
because the great Legend says so and that is all anyone needs to know.

Dallas' roster is full at 12 players. The current 12 person roster follows.

Hopefully this does not impact Megan but Dallas forward Glory Johnson was at the game Friday night after getting back from the EuroBasket tournament, but did not play.

DALLAS WINGS ROSTER

NO NAME POS AGE HT WT COLLEGE
3 Kaela Davis G 24 6-2 170 South Carolina
15 Allisha Gray G 24 6-0 167 South Carolina
13 Megan Gustafson F 22 6-3 195 Iowa
20 Isabelle Harrison F 25 6-3 183 Tennessee
2 Tayler Hill G 28 5-9 145 Ohio State
4 Moriah Jefferson G 25 5-7 122 Connecticut
1 Brooke McCarty-Williams G 23 5-4 -- Texas
34 Imani McGee-Stafford C 24 6-7 195 Texas
24 Arike Ogunbowale G 22 5-8 165 Notre Dame
55 Theresa Plaisance F 27 6-5 200 LSU
30 Azura Stevens F 23 6-6 180 Connecticut
6 Kayla Thornton F 26 6-1 190 UTEP
Glory Johnson's return drastically affected Megan.

Watch this video that follows; Glory's game seems to fit how Dallas wants to play.

Megan should be on the roster until at least July 14 :)

D_Nf3P1XkAESRrk.jpg

The Wings game at Seattle is on CBS Sports Network tonight. Megan played in the first quarter and didn't do much. Wings are getting killed so she has a chance to get some minutes tonight. And, the world's most famous Megan is at the game tonight.

Two Dallas forward starters (Thornton & Plaisance) combined for 45 minutes but just 5 points. Dallas loses at Seattle, 95-81.

Megan's stats:

7 minutes (of possible 40)
2 Points
1-2 FGs
0-0 FTs
1 Def Rebound
0 Steals
0 Blocks
0 Assists
0 Turnovers
0 Fouls
+3 in +/

Fran, thank you for keeping us in the loop on this stuff. I really appreciate it.

Given what you have seen of these games, can Megan get some more time on a different team? She seems to score fairly regularly but she struggles on defense if I am reading this correctly. What does she need to do to get more minutes?

Fran, thank you for keeping us in the loop on this stuff. I really appreciate it.

Given what you have seen of these games, can Megan get some more time on a different team? She seems to score fairly regularly but she struggles on defense if I am reading this correctly. What does she need to do to get more minutes?
Not sure if she would fit better on a different team. I only watch Minnesota and Dallas games.

However, IMO, the Dallas forwards who start in front of Megan are:
* More athletic
* Good in the pick and roll
* Able to hit the 3

Megan has to work on her offensive game and catch her skill set up to what WNBA coaches want to see. The Miken drill is cool but only goes so far in the WNBA.

On defense, I don't think Megan is much worse than those playing in front of her. She does need to work on foot speed and simply getting used to the speed of the game.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
It's not looking good for Megan unfortunately

Megan won't be cut for awhile anyway. Dallas is very short on numbers. They currently have two players out injured, one suspended and one still out on pregnancy leave. She may hang around until the end of the season, unless several of these players come back. In the meantime, she will just sit on the bench because her game does not at all fit what the coach wants. Maybe next year she can catch on with another team.

Wings are on NBA TV again today at 230.
Megan looked OK in her minute and a half yesterday. It was at the start of the fourth quarter of a very close game, so they haven't completely given up on her. They overthrew a pass to her while she was posting up on the left block. I'd seen that happen before.
Also, Sophie Cunningham, the Mizzou star from last year that was drafted ahead of Gustafson, is playing for Phoenix. She had more minutes than Megan yesterday, but didn't really have anything to show for it.

Last edited:
Megan looked OK in her minute and a half yesterday. It was at the start of the fourth quarter of a very close game, so they haven't completely given up on her. They overthrew a pass to her while she was posting up on the left block. I'd seen that happen before.
Also, Sophie Cunningham, the Mizzou star from last year that was drafted ahead of Gustafson, is playing for Phoenix. She had more minutes than Megan yesterday, but didn't really have anything to show for it.

Today, Dallas lost 69-64 to the LA Sparks.

Megan Did not play (coaches decision).

Holy cow. When Ogunbowale is off, she is off. She played 35 of the 40 minutes, was 2-9 (22%) in 2 pt FG attempts and 1-4 (25%) in 3 pointer attempts. She had just 7 points. She was -5 in the +/-.

It's not looking good for Megan unfortunately
Megan won't be cut for awhile anyway. Dallas is very short on numbers. They currently have two players out injured, one suspended and one still out on pregnancy leave. She may hang around until the end of the season, unless several of these players come back. In the meantime, she will just sit on the bench because her game does not at all fit what the coach wants. Maybe next year she can catch on with another team.
Good thing they're playing the way they want to play.......

When you think about the math & the odds:

12 total WNBA teams x 12 players = 144 total WNBA jobs

Lets say 60% of those 144 jobs are for forwards or centers. Let me know if you disagree with this number.

144 total WNBA jobs available
x .60 for forwards & centers

Two rebounds short of a double-double. Not bad in only 16 min.
She seems to get yanked and be out for long stretches after what coach thinks is a defensive lapse or mental error. I say let her play through more of those. She's generally productive when in. Probably a liability on defense, but it's not like the rest of the team is stopping anyone.

After a disastrous first five minutes for Dallas, Megan goes in. Game is live on Twitter (link below)...

Two rebounds short of a double-double. Not bad in only 16 min.
She seems to get yanked and be out for long stretches after what coach thinks is a defensive lapse or mental error. I say let her play through more of those. She's generally productive when in. Probably a liability on defense, but it's not like the rest of the team is stopping anyone.
Did you guys watch the game?

Holy crap, she was the 2nd leading scorer with only having the 9th most minutes! Ogunbowale led Dallas in scoring; she had 14 points in 29 minutes.

Megan's stats:
16 minutes (of possible 40)
11 Points
4-5 FGs
3-4 FTs
8 Rebounds (3 Offensive)
0 Steals
1 Blocks
1 Assists
3 Turnovers
0 Fouls
-8 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105032

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Did you guys watch the game?

Holy crap, she was the 2nd leading scorer with only having the 9th most minutes! Ogunbowale led Dallas in scoring; she had 14 points in 29 minutes.

Megan's stats:
16 minutes (of possible 40)
11 Points
4-5 FGs
3-4 FTs
8 Rebounds (3 Offensive)
0 Steals
1 Blocks
1 Assists
3 Turnovers
0 Fouls
-8 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105032

I watched the second and third quarters. It’s almost like she can be one of the best if she got real PT. Who knew!? ;)

Finished with 11 points and a team high 8 rebounds. Wings biggest win of the season comes with Megan playing the most she’s played this season. Hmmmmm...o_O

Reactions: Franisdaman
'Her work ethic is off the charts': How ex-Iowa star Megan Gustafson is seizing her opportunity with the Wings

By Selby Lopez, Staff Writer Contact Selby Lopezon Twitter:mad:LopezSelby31

ARLINGTON — In a rare scene after the Wings' 87-64 win over the New York Liberty on Thursday, media members flocked to Megan Gustafson's locker.

For the second straight game, she recorded 11 points and eight rebounds, this time in a career-high 27 minutes.

Just over a month and a half ago, Gustafson wasn't even on a WNBA roster.

“Her work ethic is just off the charts,” coach Brian Agler said. “She’s worked herself into better shape, she’s lost weight, she’s expanded her game and she’s done really well.”

Dallas had high hopes after taking Gustafson in the second round of this year's draft. But before the start of the regular season, Gustafson was a casualty of the Wings' final roster cut before the season as the Wings were stacked on post players.

The decision to cut college basketball's AP Player of the Year from last season upset many Iowa basketball fans. She led the nation averaging 27.9 points on 70% shooting and 13.5 rebounds per game.

Still, no other WNBA team picked her up for nearly a month before the Wings came calling again.

Dallas signed Gustafson back in June to fill the void left by veteran forward Glory Johnson departing to play with Montenegro in Eurobasket.

Still, Gustafson had a hard time earning minutes on the court. Her 43 combined minutes over the last two games are more than she's played combined in the seven games prior.

"We wanted to give her more minutes and see what she would do for us," Agler said. "At this point, she's looking to take advantage of those opportunities. We'll see how it plays out."

While Gustafson played well on Thursday, she knows she has to maintain that level of play to keep her roster spot.

Injuries have allowed the Wings to keep her on the roster after Johnson returned. But when players like Skylar Diggins-Smith, Moriah Jefferson and Tayler Hill return, whether that's this season or next, they Wings will have to make a decision.

Still, Gustafson has maintained her focus is giving Dallas all she has, not seeking personal gain.

“I got a little bit of confidence from that last game against Vegas,” Gustafson said. “At the end of the day I don’t play for myself, I never have. I play for Dallas.”

Twitter: @LopezSelby31

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/ot...fson-seizing-opportunityproviding-spark-wings

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
See story in previous post. Meg has lost some weight, and as a result, she seems to be running the court better. The game announcers noticed, too.

Watch/Listen:

Aug 1, 2019
64 New York
87 Dallas

This game she was the 5th leading scorer while having the 4th most minutes! Ogunbowale led Dallas in scoring; she had 22 points in 32 minutes.

Megan's stats:
27 minutes (of possible 40)
11 Points
2-4 in 2 pt FGs
0-2 in 3 pt FGs
7-7 FTs
8 Rebounds (2 Offensive)
0 Steals
1 Blocks
0 Assists
2 Turnovers
3 Fouls
+23 in +/

For complete box score, go here: https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401105035

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT