ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday 11/26/23 2:00 PM ESPN

justinjdry

HR MVP
Sep 6, 2017
Since most of the other boards are rarely accessed as much as this one, I felt compelled to post this here against all of the rules and decency of forum posting. Yes, I'm aware there is a wrestling forum. But most people probably don't even know that. And hopefully there are no mods around that will move this very important post.

Today, at 2 PM, ESPN will, for the first time ever, broadcast a live, regular-season dual. The dual between the 4th ranked Hawkeyes and the 8th ranked Cyclowns will be broadcast from Ames with the potential to make viewership history and expose the sport to millions of people. Please tune in if you can and help bring college wrestling to a larger audience!

Here's a link to a preview for anyone interested:

https://www.thegazette.com/sports/5-key-points-ahead-of-sundays-dual-between-iowa-and-iowa-state/

I don’t follow wrestling, but my dad does and he said we’re probably going to lose, he’s an eternal pessimist though. What are your thoughts?
I don't follow it as much as I used to. I think the team took some big hits after the gambling scandal. I wish I had more analysis to add but I really don't. I just wanted to help get them some exposure and I'll definitely be watching today to get back into it again. Hopefully someone from the wrestling board sees this and can fill us all in since I'm obviously doing a terrible job of that just now.

I don’t follow wrestling, but my dad does and he said we’re probably going to lose, he’s an eternal pessimist though. What are your thoughts?

Iowa is very down. Right now I see it as

125: tossup
133: Iowa
141: Iowa
149: tossup
157: Iowa
165: State
174: tossup
184: State (Bonus points)
197: tossup
HWT: State (Bonus points)

Iowa will have to win 3/4 tossups to win the meet.

Iowa is very down. Right now I see it as

125: tossup
133: Iowa
141: Iowa
149: tossup
157: Iowa
165: State
174: tossup
184: State (Bonus points)
197: tossup
HWT: State (Bonus points)

Iowa will have to win 3/4 tossups to win the meet.
Thanks for filling us in!

I’m a wrestling junkie, and I don’t like our chances. If we had Nelson Brands at 184 and Tony Cassioppi at 285, we’d win pretty easily, IMO, but the gambling fiasco did them in.

I fully expect us to blow ISU away at Nationals, as I expect we’ll have AJ Ferrari at 197 and Ben Kueter at 285 — massive upgrades from what we have now. But we’ll have to wrestle our asses off to win in Ames today. Can’t really afford to lose any of the toss-up matches.

I’m a wrestling junkie, and I don’t like our chances. If we had Nelson Brands at 184 and Tony Cassioppi at 285, we’d win pretty easily, IMO, but the gambling fiasco did them in.

I fully expect us to blow ISU away at Nationals, as I expect we’ll have AJ Ferrari at 197 and Ben Kueter at 285 — massive upgrades from what we have now. But we’ll have to wrestle our asses off to win in Ames today. Can’t really afford to lose any of the toss-up matches.
It'd be cool if Kueter surprises everyone and shows up at 285 today, especially if it goes on last. I think the chance is slim to none, but he's in shape and better than other options at that weight.

It'd be cool if Kueter surprises everyone and shows up at 285 today, especially if it goes on last. I think the chance is slim to none, but he's in shape and better than other options at that weight.
I’ve been secretly hoping he’d stop off in Ames on the way back from Lincoln and make a surprise appearance. Would be legendary. Certainly not expecting it, but it would be incredible. Bastida could used a good beat-down.

With permission from @The-Dude-Abides the greatest analytical mind in the sport of wrestling, here is a writeup he did about this meet in the wrestling forum, we thank you sir!:

Some strikes and gutters, ups and downs today against Oregon State, but on to the next one. ISU has dropped 17 straight duals to Iowa, last winning in 2004. This could be their best chance in years to knock out the Hawks, which would obviously piss us all off a great deal.

Rankings per Intermat.

#8 Iowa vs. # 10 Iowa State

125: #11 Ayala vs. #17 Kysen Terukina. Terukina majored Eric #6 Barnett today, which was surprising, and Drake looked off this afternoon. I'm gonna say today's loss motivates Drake to bounce back and win by decision. Hawks 3-0.

133: #9 Teske vs. #18 Evan Frost. I like Teske by a comfortable decision. Hawks 6-0.

141: #1 Woods vs. #15 (at 149) Anthony Echemendia. I think Real is able to get to his legs and maybe a turn. Real by decision. Hawks 9-0.

149: # 9 VV vs. Casey Swiderski (NR by Intermat, Flo has him at #13). Swid beat #14 Zargo pretty handily today and can be hard to score on. VV needs to clean up his finishes to win this one. I'm going with Swid in a close decision. Hawks 9-3.

157: #2 Franek vs. #19 Cody Chittum. Hilton could be salty in this one after Chittum decommitted from Iowa. I think Franek controls this match as a savvy veteran, wins by decision. Hawks 12-3.

165: #5 Caliendo vs. #2 David Carr. Carr is just on a different tier, wins by decision. Hawks 12-6.

174: NR Arnold vs. #22 MJ Gaitan. Assuming Gabe goes again, I like him to control this match from neutral and push to get the major. Hawks 16-6.

184: #29 Stafford vs. #5 Will Feldkamp. Will need something big to pull this match out. Feldkamp by major, Hawks 16-10.

197: #23 Glazier vs. #25 Julien Broderson. This will be a big one. Think Glazier gets a TD late to seal it in a gritty decision. Hawks 19-10.

Heavy: NR Hill vs. #7 Yonger Bastida. Mismatch here, but I'm gonna say Hill is able to keep it to a major. Wouldn't matter for the dual if the previous go as above. Hawks win 19-14.

Not much room for error, and we almost have to have wins at 25, 33, 74, and 97. I will not be going, as I can't stand that stinking place and its fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT