ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday thoughts

Lone Clone

HR King
May 29, 2001
I was going to post earlier, but got entranced by some of the comments in some of the threads. Note the use of the modifier "some." There are some crazy sumbitches on this board....and the ones who are the craziest and rabid are, oddly enough, the ones who swear they don't care about this game. And I'm sure they have their responses to this post half-written, even though I haven't finished it yet.

Having said that....

* Congratulations to the Hawkeyes. They were the better team and deserved to win. When almost all of the dust had settled, They were down 7 points, had the ball on their own 11 with 3 minutes left and no timeouts, and they won the game. Yes, of course I can think of several things ISU could/should have done to prevent it, but Iowa made the plays and ISU didn't.

* Wadley was the best player on the field, and I would have said that before the play that tied the game. Cyclone radio re-hash people said after the game he's one of the five best players ISU will face this season, and I certainly hope that's the case. Again, you can talk about missed tackles -- just as some are talking about missed tackles by Hawkeye defenders on Montgomery -- but there's a reason some runners benefit from missed tackles.

* Stanley was the difference. Great game considering his experience and the situation -- hostile, loud environment and having to come from behind a couple of times. Yes, he overthrew a number of receivers, at least two of which seemed certain to be TDs. Whether that's an anomaly or something he just can't do, I have no clue. But other than that, he played a nearly perfect game.

* I could go into a litany of mistakes the Big Ten officiating crew made that helped Iowa, but I'm seeing posts listing the things people think they did that helped ISU, so why bother? Most of the bitching on both sides involves pass interference and holding that weren't called that should have been or that were called and shouldn't have been. Happens every game. This game wasn't decided by a controversial call at the end, which is reason to be grateful.

* Likewise, I could list at least half a dozen plays that would have allowed ISU to win in regulation...and also at least a half a dozen plays that would have allowed Iowa to win in regulation. But that way lies madness.

* Obviously, ISU is a lot better than it was at this point last season. But I'm not ready to say that either of these teams is particularly good. It wasn't Oklahoma-Ohio State we were watching in Ames Saturday, that's for sure. Iowa's defense gave up 38 points and over 400 yards to one of the poorer offenses in the Big XII; ISU gave up several 90-yard TD drives to a team that isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut, either.

* It was a very entertaining game. It was generally a well played and clean game. It's over. Good luck the rest of the way.

I was going to post earlier, but got entranced by some of the comments in some of the threads. Note the use of the modifier "some." There are some crazy sumbitches on this board....and the ones who are the craziest and rabid are, oddly enough, the ones who swear they don't care about this game. And I'm sure they have their responses to this post half-written, even though I haven't finished it yet.

Having said that....

* Congratulations to the Hawkeyes. They were the better team and deserved to win. When almost all of the dust had settled, They were down 7 points, had the ball on their own 11 with 3 minutes left and no timeouts, and they won the game. Yes, of course I can think of several things ISU could/should have done to prevent it, but Iowa made the plays and ISU didn't.

* Wadley was the best player on the field, and I would have said that before the play that tied the game. Cyclone radio re-hash people said after the game he's one of the five best players ISU will face this season, and I certainly hope that's the case. Again, you can talk about missed tackles -- just as some are talking about missed tackles by Hawkeye defenders on Montgomery -- but there's a reason some runners benefit from missed tackles.

* Stanley was the difference. Great game considering his experience and the situation -- hostile, loud environment and having to come from behind a couple of times. Yes, he overthrew a number of receivers, at least two of which seemed certain to be TDs. Whether that's an anomaly or something he just can't do, I have no clue. But other than that, he played a nearly perfect game.

* I could go into a litany of mistakes the Big Ten officiating crew made that helped Iowa, but I'm seeing posts listing the things people think they did that helped ISU, so why bother? Most of the bitching on both sides involves pass interference and holding that weren't called that should have been or that were called and shouldn't have been. Happens every game. This game wasn't decided by a controversial call at the end, which is reason to be grateful.

* Likewise, I could list at least half a dozen plays that would have allowed ISU to win in regulation...and also at least a half a dozen plays that would have allowed Iowa to win in regulation. But that way lies madness.

* Obviously, ISU is a lot better than it was at this point last season. But I'm not ready to say that either of these teams is particularly good. It wasn't Oklahoma-Ohio State we were watching in Ames Saturday, that's for sure. Iowa's defense gave up 38 points and over 400 yards to one of the poorer offenses in the Big XII; ISU gave up several 90-yard TD drives to a team that isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut, either.

* It was a very entertaining game. It was generally a well played and clean game. It's over. Good luck the rest of the way.
Great game. Not many games where each team overcomes double digit deficits in the 2nd half. Each side played with a lot of heart and will to win. Had to be disappointing to be on the other end of that.

Having said that....

It struck me that ISU played Iowa similarly to how they played OSU and Oklahoma last year. It would seem like they need to "get over the hump" and simply learn how to finish games. Part of that is likely attributable to the team still being young in many respects.

Anyhow, hopefully both teams are better than we think/expect!

Having said that....

Do you really think ISU will have one of the poorer offenses in the Big XII?

Good & fair post OP. I don't agree that Iowa proved they were the better team though - it felt like a balanced game that someone had to win. Iowa had 3 excellent catches in the endzone and one ridiculous run by the Wad. Excellent ISU receiver drops a pass at the 10 in OT. Flip any one of those plays and the outcome could be different.

I can see both teams getting to bowls, but I don't think either one is going to play in a big bowl.

Campbell might be the real deal.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Do you really think ISU will have one of the poorer offenses in the Big XII?
I don't. I thought they played a very good offensive game. They have some playmakers. And in the Big 12, with the league's lack of defense, a very pedestrian offense often looks like the "Greatest Show on Turf."

Reactions: L Lawliet
I think the people that say they dont care, really mean they just hate the game. I hate the game...no win situation for Iowa. And not because ISU is not a competitive team against us...its because they wont be competive overall.
Well put.

I'm not sure about either team. I think ISU has no shot at a bowl. I won't be surprised if they lose at Akron next week. Prob a 4 win team max. And that's playing in the weak Big12.

Iowa may not be as good as I thought either. Had us at 9-3 before the season but very worried after that defensive performance.

I don't. I thought they played a very good offensive game. They have some playmakers. And in the Big 12, with the league's lack of defense, a very pedestrian offense often looks like the "Greatest Show on Turf."
Oklahoma held Ohio State to 16 points at the Horseshoe last night. That's not a lack of defense, IMHO.

The scoring in the Big XII is in large part due to the offenses. Iowa was widely believed to have a good defense -- some posters here last week were speculating on whether it was one of the best ever -- but looked fairly helpless on many occasions yesterday. The fast-paced, pass-oriented style played in the conference has that effect.

But am I correct in referring to ISU's offense as one of the worst in the league? Based on statistics and returning players, I think so. I hope it won't turn out to be that way by season's end, but when I watch the Oklahoma schools, Texas Tech and West Virginia, it's like a different level. And until this year, TCU and Baylor were in that same class. Kansas State is one of the more conservative, conventional offenses and the 'Cats averaged over 27 in conference games last year. If you throw out the 66 that ISU hung on Texas Tech, the Cyclones averaged less than 25.

Reactions: iamia and map0514
And until this year, TCU and Baylor were in that same class. Kansas State is one of the more conservative, conventional offenses and the 'Cats averaged over 27 in conference games last year. If you throw out the 66 that ISU hung on Texas Tech, the Cyclones averaged less than 25.
LC, you do realize that last year's stats don't rollover into this year, right?

Reactions: JStandefer
Is the clown board dead? If not, maybe head back over there .... or the Huskerboard is a good place for misery .... and you know it loves company, right?
No, the CR board is rife with comments about the game. I spent some time here in the past couple of weeks engaging in discussion about the ISU-Iowa game. I figured that if I didn't come back after my team lost, I'd be roundly condemned. So here I is.

No, the CR board is rife with comments about the game. I spent some time here in the past couple of weeks engaging in discussion about the ISU-Iowa game. I figured that if I didn't come back after my team lost, I'd be roundly condemned. So here I is.

OK, I can respect that ....

WVU, OU, OSU, TCU, TT, and probably KSU will all have better offenses. We don't know yet if UT will get it going. BU and KU look historically bad.

If the roles were reversed, I could see a lot of Iowa fans being pretty upset with the non-PI call on Vandeberg on what ended up being the game-tying drive.
That is true. But I didn't mention anything specifically, because as I said, there's no point. If I mention one thing, somebody else will mention a bad or missed call the other way. Just wastes time.

I think we can agree that a couple of the spots in the early going were incomprehensible. But one was corrected and the other two didn't affect the game. It just makes you wonder what those guys were thinking of.
Always appreciate Lone Clones Thoughtful and mostly unbiased commentary. thank You sir. good luck the rest of the year.
thank you, but if you think I'm mostly unbiased, you haven't been paying attention or I'm doing something wrong.

Can't argue with anything lone clone says. But my opinion is that the isu offense is pretty good. To me it looked like a lot of isu games last yr. they are in a position to win but can't get a stop or a first down to seal the deal.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
That is true. But I didn't mention anything specifically, because as I said, there's no point. If I mention one thing, somebody else will mention a bad or missed call the other way. Just wastes time.

I think we can agree that a couple of the spots in the early going were incomprehensible. But one was corrected and the other two didn't affect the game. It just makes you wonder what those guys were thinking of.

Agreed - no reason to start listing examples because there were likely a number of calls/non-calls that could have gone the other way. In general though, I don't think anything was too egregious. In a way, it's nice that we have the memory of the 2006 Outback Bowl against Florida, because that's the gold standard for bad officiating. I haven't seen anything like that since.

Having said that....

i only have one thing to say. The officiating had no impact on the outcome of the game. I thought it was good officiating. Iowa had way more yards in penalties than ISU

Reactions: papabeef
Oklahoma held Ohio State to 16 points at the Horseshoe last night. That's not a lack of defense, IMHO.

The scoring in the Big XII is in large part due to the offenses. Iowa was widely believed to have a good defense -- some posters here last week were speculating on whether it was one of the best ever -- but looked fairly helpless on many occasions yesterday. The fast-paced, pass-oriented style played in the conference has that effect.

But am I correct in referring to ISU's offense as one of the worst in the league? Based on statistics and returning players, I think so. I hope it won't turn out to be that way by season's end, but when I watch the Oklahoma schools, Texas Tech and West Virginia, it's like a different level. And until this year, TCU and Baylor were in that same class. Kansas State is one of the more conservative, conventional offenses and the 'Cats averaged over 27 in conference games last year. If you throw out the 66 that ISU hung on Texas Tech, the Cyclones averaged less than 25.
Oklahoma has way better athletes than anybody else in the Big 12. tOSU has issues and even Indiana gave them all they could handle. There is no way ISU has one of the worst offenses in the Big 12 with their WRs and skill position players, none.

Having said that....

I actually appreciated this commentary. It was fair. I am usually frustrated to see "trolls" and I have never thought anything like that from you. Good game Saturday.

Reactions: NI hawk
I'd agree. I think both teams are ahead of where I thought they'd be at this point in the season. I could see ISU making some noise in the big 12, against anyone but OK, and maybe OSU. Yes, Iowa has a number of things to iron out before PSU, but Stanley is farther ahead then I thought he'd be, and thats a big one in the plus column. I think the size of ISU's wideouts, (as a group) presented Iowa with as big a challenge as they'll face most of the year.

Reactions: iamia
Good post. Game is done, time to move on to who is next on the schedule.

giphy.gif

As for Iowa's defense, 1. it was one game so would not make sweeping generalizations just yet as to how good or bad it is and 2. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the "best ever" talk is quite ludicrious and finally .... related to the defense comment around the B12 ...... 3. One good defensive game for OU against tOSU does not make the B12 a defensive juggernaut all of a sudden.

Can't argue with anything lone clone says. But my opinion is that the isu offense is pretty good. To me it looked like a lot of isu games last yr. they are in a position to win but can't get a stop or a first down to seal the deal.
True, but it happened yesterday, too. One first down and Iowa never Wadley never gets a chance to make that play.

As for Iowa's defense, 1. it was one game so would not make sweeping generalizations just yet as to how good or bad it is and 2. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the "best ever" talk is quite ludicrious and finally 3. One good defensive game for OU against tOSU does not make the B12 a defensive juggernaut all of a sudden.
This is why I never suggested the B12 is a defensive juggernaut. Whoever said that should be horsewhipped.

Reactions: AZmess

Yeah, I'm actually glad you post. You prove a fan of an opposing team can engage in reasonable dialogue and not be pathetic or a troll about it.

Unlike Clonewithasigh and others.

Speaking of which, where did they all go? Odd they are conspicuously absent now.

Agreed. And don't forget your defense is a sieve also. 4 wins? 5?
Yeah, probably. The key game of the season -- assuming we don't screw the pooch at Akron next Saturday -- is a Thursday night national TV game with Texas Sept. 28. If we are 3-1 after that game, I think we have a decent chance at 6, but will have to stay healthy and avoid brain freezes.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Yeah, probably. The key game of the season -- assuming we don't screw the pooch at Akron next Saturday -- is a Thursday night national TV game with Texas Sept. 28. If we are 3-1 after that game, I think we have a decent chance at 6, but will have to stay healthy and avoid brain freezes.
Actually I was kidding. History says this game doesn't mean a lot going forward. Iowa will win 5-6 games in a mediocre West division. ISU should have at least a 6-6 record. Hint, OU isn't the 2nd best team in the country. The OSU is not a juggernaut. Maybe third best team in the East. Their QB is really average.

I'd be willing to wager a small sum ($20 or less) that ISU finishes in top half of Big XII in scoring offense.

Solid QB
Couple really good WR
Very good RB

Given the defense, I'm not sure that translates into wins, but that's a pretty good offense.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT