ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Supreme Court has ended constitutional protections for abortion that had been in place nearly 50 years in a decision by its conservative majority to overturn Roe v. Wade. Friday's outcome is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states.
The decision, unthinkable just a few years ago, was the culmination of decades of efforts by abortion opponents, made possible by an emboldened right side of the court that has been fortified by three appointees of former President Donald Trump.
The ruling came more than a month after the stunning leak of a draft opinion by Justice Samuel Alito indicating the court was prepared to take this momentous step.

It puts the court at odds with a majority of Americans who favored preserving Roe, according to opinion polls.
Alito, in the final opinion issued Friday, wrote that Roe and Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the 1992 decision that reaffirmed the right to abortion, were wrong the day they were decided and must be overturned.

People are also reading…​

"We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision," Alito wrote.
Authority to regulate abortion rests with the political branches, not the courts, Alito wrote.

Joining Alito were Justices Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett. The latter three justices are Trump appointees. Thomas first voted to overrule Roe 30 years ago.

Chief Justice John Roberts would have stopped short of ending the abortion right, noting that he would have upheld the Mississippi law at the heart of the case, a ban on abortion after 15 weeks, and said no more.
Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan — the diminished liberal wing of the court — were in dissent.
"With sorrow—for this Court, but more, for the many millions of American women who have today lost a fundamental constitutional protection—we dissent," they wrote.

• Love
Reactions: HawkFan1298
FWBhlZqXwAIyhsQ

Maybe…but Roe wouldn’t be getting overturned this session.

Backfired biggly
Does it matter when it was going to happen? It was going to happen. The next move was for a state to simply ban it all together which would have forced it. They all knew where this activist court stood. And the fact that they've already said they're coming after gay marriage next shows us just how immoral this court is.

I've been against this before, I'm now in favor of packing the court.

I hope 🤞 that the issue now returns to the states - as it was doing 50 years ago -and that CHOICE will remain for those women who need to terminate for WHATEVER reason.
It won't. There will be national laws proposed before the end of the summer and we are a Republican Congress and Republican President away from a national ban on abortion. This will not be left to the states. There are already people salivating over a national ban and they have their eyes set on contraception and same sex relationships as well.

The only good thing I can see about this, if there is one, is that we've had to rely on the courts for far too long to actually fix broken parts of our system because legislators refuse to do their jobs. MAYBE this will open up people's eyes about these crucial issues and they'll start demanding that their politicians implement real protections instead of passing the buck to the court.

Since the GOP wants to make its religion national law and appointed its religious minority to the court, are we now just Afghanistan with better plumbing?
The Talmud gives women the necessary RIGHT to an abortion if the mother’s life is in danger. It goes so far as to say life doesn’t begin until a child takes a breath out of the womb. Hopefully some Jewish groups sue states for violating their religious freedom.

Thomas just signaled to the far right to start challenging gay marriage, contraceptives and other rights found under right to privacy. Several posters on here laughed when I said Bork-ism is strong with this court and the right to privacy is going away.

Thomas just signaled to the far right to start challenging gay marriage, contraceptives and other rights found under right to privacy. Several posters on here laughed when I said Bork-ism is strong with this court and the right to privacy is going away.
Bork wouldn’t let them have guns. This isn’t originalism, it’s politics.

I hope 🤞 that the issue now returns to the states - as it was doing 50 years ago -and that CHOICE will remain for those women who need to terminate for WHATEVER reason.
Remain in the keyword. Governor's come and go.

The Talmud gives women the necessary RIGHT to an abortion if the mother’s life is in danger. It goes so far as to say life doesn’t begin until a child takes a breath out of the womb. Hopefully some Jewish groups sue states for violating their religious freedom.
They already have. It's going to be fun to watch them throw the 1st amendment under the bus with this.

"Authority to regulate abortion rests with the political branches, not the courts" - Obvious

YOU ARE KILLING UNBORN CHILDREN. What part of that is acceptable to a decent human being? And yes I agree there are very limited times it may be necessary to protect the health of the menstruating person. Very limited.
I'll believe that people who claim this actually believe it when they start supporting legislation that values these babies after they are born as much as they seem to be valued before. But like putting a banner on your Facebook profile, the second supporting the issue actually asks them to do something they are nowhere to be found.

ADVERTISEMENT