ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court says it cannot determine who leaked draft Dobbs opinion

Was it a SCOTUS member? They have a lifetime appointment. A clerk would have a tough time finding a job if they were outed as the source of the leak. A staffer could be fired.
We don't know who did it, but, the one person who could leak it penalty free if discovered is a member of the court.

Was it a SCOTUS member? They have a lifetime appointment. A clerk would have a tough time finding a job if they were outed as the source of the leak. A staffer could be fired.
We don't know who did it, but, the one person who could leak it penalty free if discovered is a member of the court.
They have a lifetime appointment unless they commit a violation that could result in being impeached.

I’m not the one criticizing the marshal of the court and saying that someone else should have handled it.

Idk, maybe someone who had actual experience investigating stuff?

Every single member of SCOTUS, from justices down to the clerks, should at least been interviewed if they were there at the time of the leak. The fact that they weren’t, suggests either incompetence or an investigation that was never truly serious.

Reactions: globalhawk
Idk, maybe someone who had actual experience investigating stuff?

Every single member of SCOTUS, from justices down to the clerks, should at least been interviewed if they were there at the time of the leak. The fact that they weren’t, suggests either incompetence or an investigation that was never truly serious.
It's okay. He was angling to go all TJ, but ducked out because he didn't have anything to work with.

Solid addition to the thread.
Lol. You complained that someone else should have handled the investigation. Then I asked you who should have handled the investigation. And instead of simply answering the question you decided to turn the question on me.

Outstanding work. Give yourself a pat on the back.

DoJ/FBI

They do these things 'for a living'...
I was kinda hoping you’d say that.

The DOJ and the FBI investigate crimes ‘for a living’. Is there any evidence to indicate that an actual ‘crime’ was committed’?

Because if there is then the Department of Justice and the FBI are free to launch an investigation at any time. And they don’t need John Roberts’ permission to do it.

I was kinda hoping you’d say that.

The DOJ and the FBI investigate crimes ‘for a living’. Is there any evidence to indicate that an actual ‘crime’ was committed’?

Doesn't need to be evidence of any "crime". FBI also conducts background checks on people. They have many functions that aren't related to "crimes" but are related to "investigations".

And an independent group conducting the investigation of the leaks would have been more credible.

Because if there is then the Department of Justice and the FBI are free to launch an investigation at any time.
No, they are not. They can be ASKED to conduct one.

Didn't you just ask "what crime had been committed"?
#GettingWhiplashFromYourInconsistenciesHere

No, they are not. They can be ASKED to conduct one.

Didn't you just ask "what crime had been committed"?
#GettingWhiplashFromYourInconsistenciesHere
Someone has to ask the DOJ and the FBI to investigate a crime before they can do it? Who has to ask them?

The Supreme Court disclosed Thursday that it cannot identify the person who leaked a draft of DObbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, the opinion that overturned Roe v. Wade.
A report from the court said “it is not possible to determine the identity of any individual who may have disclosed the document or how the draft opinion ended up with Politico. No one confessed to publicly disclosing the document and none of the available forensic and other evidence provided a basis for identifying any individual as the source of the document.”

“While investigators and the Court’s IT experts cannot absolutely rule out a hack, the evidence to date reveals no suggestion of improper outside access.” the report said.

The legal and political worlds have been anxiously awaiting the results of the Supreme Court’s internal investigation since May, after Politico published a draft of the court’s opinion. The draft was essentially the same as the decision the court issued weeks later. Five conservative justices used the case to overturn Roe, while Roberts said he would have upheld the restrictive Mississippi abortion law at issue. The court’s three liberals combined on an angry dissent.

The leak of Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr.’s draft opinion was an extraordinary breach of the decorum and practice at a place that prides itself on keeping internal deliberations of the justices secret. It has been condemned as a harmful disruption by those members who have discussed it publicly.
Alito said this fall that the leak was a “grave betrayal of trust by somebody, and it was a shock” that led to a “changed” atmosphere at the court and made his colleagues in the majority “targets for assassination.” The threat to the justices, he added, was not theoretical because it “gave people a rational reason to think they could prevent that from happening by killing one of us.”

Roberts took the extraordinary step of confirming the authenticity of the draft opinion the day after it was published. He also announced an internal investigation into how the draft became public.

“To the extent this betrayal of the confidences of the Court was intended to undermine the integrity of our operations, it will not succeed,” Roberts said. “The work of the Court will not be affected in any way.”
He has been silent about the leak since then, even as other justices mentioned the investigation was ongoing and talked about what they said were damaging implications of the leak on the court’s deliberations and trust among individual justices.

Justice Neil M. Gorsuch said in September it was “terribly important” to identify the source of the leak.
“Improper efforts to influence judicial decision-making, from whatever side, from whomever, are a threat to the judicial decision-making process and inhibit our capacity to communicate with one another,” Gorsuch said at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit’s semiannual Bench & Bar Conference in Colorado.

But little is known about the investigation, except for a few reports that have surfaced about disagreements among justices and their clerks over attempts to examine cellphone records.
Conservatives have been increasingly vocal about finding the source of the leak. Meanwhile, abortion-rights protesters have regularly gather outside the homes of Roberts and other justices since May.

A California man is facing attempted assassination charges after being arrested outside the suburban Maryland home of Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh with weapons and a plan to break into the justice’s house.
The leak turned the Supreme Court into a place “where you look over your shoulder,” and may have irreparably sundered trust at the institution, Justice Clarence Thomas said at a conference weeks after the leak.
“What happened at the court was tremendously bad,” Thomas said. “I wonder how long we’re going to have these institutions at the rate we’re undermining them. And then I wonder, when they’re gone or destabilized, what we’re going to have as a country.”
Liberal Justice Elena Kagan likewise condemned the leak. “The court depends upon confidentiality in its deliberations in order to reach decisions,” she said in an appearance last fall, “and you can’t do that if you know that you might wake up tomorrow morning and there is a decision and it is on the front page of newspapers.”

SCOTUS is just another of our institutions that republicans have totally screwed up. People have lost faith in it.

I wonder how the first SCOTUS justices were selected, presumably without bias. Maybe it's time we just cleaned our current slate of justices and start over.

We need a Reboot.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Someone has to ask the DOJ and the FBI to investigate a crime before they can do it?
You just asked "what crime was committed"

FBI can be asked to investigate, regardless of whether there is any crime. Just like they are asked to investigate background checks and claims against judicial (and other) nominees.

If Roberts WANTED an independent review, he could have asked them for it. They cannot initiate that review w/o being asked to do it.

FBI can be asked to investigate, regardless of whether there is any crime. Just like they are asked to investigate background checks and claims against judicial (and other) nominees.

If Roberts WANTED an independent review, he could have asked them for it. They cannot initiate that review w/o being asked to do it.

Instead they ran an in-house investigation conducted by a security team for whom investigations are not part of their job description.

Reactions: Joes Place

Unless and until there is evidence that a crime was committed, I see no reason why the DoJ or FBI needs to be involved.

Based on what we currently know, this is a Supreme Court protocol/security matter, and that is exactly the purpose of the Supreme Court Police Department.

You guys keep acting like the Marshal of the Court is Barney Fife, and that’s simply not true. Gail Curley is a Colonel in the United States Army where she was the chief of the National Security Law Division in the Office of The Judge Advocate General. She commands a police force of 189 officers. It is a very legitimate law enforcement division.

Again, if there is any evidence that a crime was committed, the DoJ and FBI can intervene at any time. And Roberts can always request their assistance if he is unsatisfied with the results of the investigation.

You’re just pissed that the investigation didn’t culminate in Thomas and Alito being perp-walked out of The Supreme Court Building in shackles.

This. From the rumoring the justices weren't directly questioned, and the investigation should have been given to professional people, not the marshal of the court. They did not have the appropriate skills, or tools to do this investigation.
While I agree that the marshal was not the best choice to conduct the investigation, I doubt that a trained/experienced investigator would have been able to determine the leaker either. With so many people having access to the opinion, the only way you are going to find the leaker is if they were very careless, or told someone else at the court.

While I agree that the marshal was not the best choice to conduct the investigation, I doubt that a trained/experienced investigator would have been able to determine the leaker either. With so many people having access to the opinion, the only way you are going to find the leaker is if they were very careless, or told someone else at the court.
No justices we're interviewed. Nobody had to go under oath. Most of the people who had access to this ruling didn't even respond. It's hard to imagine a flimsier investigation.

Reactions: sober_teacher
No justices we're interviewed. Nobody had to go under oath. Most of the people who had access to this ruling didn't even respond. It's hard to imagine a flimsier investigation.
False.

Today, however, the marshal sawed that limb off: “During the course of the investigation, I spoke with each of the Justices, several on multiple occasions. The Justices actively cooperated in this iterative process, asking questions and answering mine. I followed up on all credible leads, none of which implicated the Justices or their spouses. On this basis, I did not believe that it was necessary to ask the Justices to sign sworn affidavits.” While it would have been much better practice to have the justices all join the rest of the witnesses in signing affidavits — the chief justice could have led by example — a 24-hour news cycle about the justices and their spouses being entirely exempted from questioning went up in smoke

False.

Today, however, the marshal sawed that limb off: “During the course of the investigation, I spoke with each of the Justices, several on multiple occasions. The Justices actively cooperated in this iterative process, asking questions and answering mine. I followed up on all credible leads, none of which implicated the Justices or their spouses. On this basis, I did not believe that it was necessary to ask the Justices to sign sworn affidavits.” While it would have been much better practice to have the justices all join the rest of the witnesses in signing affidavits — the chief justice could have led by example — a 24-hour news cycle about the justices and their spouses being entirely exempted from questioning went up in smoke
Fair enough. Looks like none of the nine justices signed affidavits, though.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Unless they copied the hard drives of everyone having accsess to the draft, the investigation was little more than this -

"Did you leak the draft Dobbs decision"? "No".

"Do you know who leaked the draft Dobbs decision"? "No".

"Thanks - call us if you hear something".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT