ADVERTISEMENT

SUPRISE!!! Donald Trump has filed a $49 million lawsuit against journalist Bob Woodward

As an attorney, I can't advise a client to record conversations, BUT, I can advise my client what is legal and not legal. Iowa follows the Federal standard that so long as one party to a conversation knows they are being recorded, you are good to go :)

It blows my mind how many times I've had to explain this to opposing counsel. I went to law school in MN and yet I knew the Iowa rule as a 1st year attorney better than some U of I grads.

One more lawsuit for the pile that Trump has filed just for the headline. The rubes like Coffland14 sit up and cheer as Trump goes after the Lib media, but it won't go anywhere. Hopefully it results in another public chastising by a judge and a fine.
My question for the lawyers of GIAOT, including Coffland14, is where does he find the lawyers to file this s***?

WASHINGTON DC
VIRGINIA
MARYLAND

Do they all have the same law on this? I remember back in the Linda Tripp days the states were different. The only way Trump can win is if Bob broke the law in one of those states while traveling with Trump.

I think DC and Virginia are 1 party consent states.

Maryland is a 2 party consent state.

I would be stunned if Bob Woodward, who has been a journalist in that area for decades, taped Trump in Maryland and/or didn’t have Trump’s consent to record, either on the tape at the start or in a signed document.

Reactions: BelemNole
He usually wins these things, right?
It was never about winning. Throughout his career, Trump has used lawsuits or threats of lawsuits to beat down people who don't have deep pockets. He used them continually to cheat contractors on his jobs. It's a big part of his toolbox and he can't get out of that mindset no matter how much money the other side has. Someone gives him a hard time...SUE HIM!!

As an attorney, I can't advise a client to record conversations, BUT, I can advise my client what is legal and not legal. Iowa follows the Federal standard that so long as one party to a conversation knows they are being recorded, you are good to go :)

It blows my mind how many times I've had to explain this to opposing counsel. I went to law school in MN and yet I knew the Iowa rule as a 1st year attorney better than some U of I grads.
3/4 construction worker /barstool lawyers know the Iowa law on that…

I think DC and Virginia are 1 party consent states.

Maryland is a 2 party consent state.

I would be stunned if Bob Woodward, who has been a journalist in that area for decades, taped Trump in Maryland and/or didn’t have Trump’s consent to record, either on the tape at the start or in a signed document.

In a lawsuit filed Monday against Woodward, Simon & Schuster Inc., and the publisher’s parent company Paramount Global, Trump claimed that although he had given Woodward consent to record their conversations “for the sole purpose of a book,” that didn’t extend to packaging those recordings as an audiobook.

In a lawsuit filed Monday against Woodward, Simon & Schuster Inc., and the publisher’s parent company Paramount Global, Trump claimed that although he had given Woodward consent to record their conversations “for the sole purpose of a book,” that didn’t extend to packaging those recordings as an audiobook.
In other words, Trump wanted to retain the ability to lie about what he actually said in the interviews. BAU.

Anyone who went to Iowa in the 80's knows this rule because of Bruce Pearl.

If I understand the claim, the audiobook contains the actual recordings. Trump is claiming ownership right in the recordings to the extent the actual audio recordings were used in the audiobook. I’m not familiar with copyright law, but an interesting claim.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
If I understand the claim, the audiobook contains the actual recordings. Trump is claiming ownership right in the recordings to the extent the actual audio recordings were used in the audiobook. I’m not familiar with copyright law, but an interesting claim.

The owner of the copyright is the person who fixes the creative expression in a tangible medium (damn lawyers).

You paint the picture, sculpt the sculpture, write the great American novel, you own the copyright. So it should be Woodward's - his tape recorder, his tapes (unless there are other facts out there ....)

Two possible exceptions - you are an employee and are doing it as part of a work assignment, then your employer owns the copyright.

Second is work-for-hire -- I hire a photog to shoot something for my new office, if the K says the photographer is a work-for-hire, I own the copyright in the image, and not the photographer.

Reactions: HawkMD
There's four years of recordings of libel and slander from across the media regarding collusion and treason
You guys should sue the media, then. Don't forget to sue Rupert. He's been slandering Diaper Don lately, too.

Reactions: HawkMD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT