ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano going 133 next year?

Hard to believe the 125 lb class was so difficult this year with multiple champs and finalists as well as Lee facing an undefeated Suriano in the finals, and next year it will presumably clear out drastically. Almost makes me want to see Spencer go through a growth spurt this summer ;)
We, you are wanting a 4 time national champion at Iowa and now it sounds like he needs to put on unnecessary weight just to have better competition?? Doesn't make sense to me. A 4 time national champ only comes once every 5 to 10 years....Let's enjoy it while we have a chance...

C'mon guys. Spencer is great, no doubt, but stuff happens on the way to the bank. I realize it's hard to fathom someone beating him, but he lost twice just this year, and believe it or not, he'll likely lose again. Odds say so without a doubt.

Retherford won 94-95 (?) straight to end his career, and rarely was tested. Spencer is certainly capable of that, but tough gig for sure.

Anybody have Imar penciled in as a 4 Timer? I sure did. How about Lincoln Mcllravy? I sure did. Did you have the best wrestler of my lifetime, Dan Gable, penciled in as a 3 Timer? I sure did. None of those things actually happened.

I understand how giddy one could be about the prospects of this kids future. Its painted in gold.

But my advice to everyone including yours truly would be to proceed with caution. There are a lot of really talented kids in the USA, and they will be looking to give Spencer Lee their best shot (followed by a post match "flex" to the Iowa corner if they can pull it off.......!). ;)
Great down to earth post....Three years of no injuries could be rough...It's hard to always be at your peak. One slip and things happen..Go Spencer.

We, you are wanting a 4 time national champion at Iowa and now it sounds like he needs to put on unnecessary weight just to have better competition?? Doesn't make sense to me. A 4 time national champ only comes once every 5 to 10 years....Let's enjoy it while we have a chance...
Easy there, I was just having fun. Don't take my post too seriously ;)

Reactions: el dub
I would guess Picc, Fix, GFeller (Brock shirt).

Suriano almost wasn’t able to wrestle the B1G from what I heard...like WDM said. But the kid is in phenomenal shape so it didn’t seem to hinder him one bit. All of that said, if he stays 125, I think Lee distances himself from Suriano.
Gfeller is going at 49.

Some of these opinions just seem so wacky... Spencer Lee will have close matches in the future. Spencer Lee may even lose some of them. No, Spencer Lee will not tech or pin everyone else he faces in the future.

What a great year he had, a dominant one but he's not superman. I thought Zain was and BS came this close to beating him last year... Many thought Kyle Snyder was untouchable, the GOAT, and he had his hands full with Coon 3x this season

Give the kid a break. He's already had 2 loses and despite the thinking he was just rounding out into shape and went to school on those loses that will never happen again... it just dont work that way. Cael's the one person out of millions that's been the exception. Lighten up on SL

Gfeller is going at 49.

Boo to 157? I think JoJo Smith has seen his last days at 157. He struggled to make it in 2016/2017 and had gassing issues, was as high as 174 during redshirt. I think he goes 165 with Rogers to 174. Smith and Moore battle it out at 184. On the bottom end I think they are wise to go with Picc at 125 and Fix at 133. Picc can place top 4 at 125 but would be hard pressed to place at 133. Fix would be in the mix as legit to win 133.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Some of these opinions just seem so wacky... Spencer Lee will have close matches in the future. Spencer Lee may even lose some of them. No, Spencer Lee will not tech or pin everyone else he faces in the future.

What a great year he had, a dominant one but he's not superman. I thought Zain was and BS came this close to beating him last year... Many thought Kyle Snyder was untouchable, the GOAT, and he had his hands full with Coon 3x this season

Give the kid a break. He's already had 2 loses and despite the thinking he was just rounding out into shape and went to school on those loses that will never happen again... it just dont work that way. Cael's the one person out of millions that's been the exception. Lighten up on SL

Yes he is.

SUPERMAN LEE

I wonder why Snyder had problems with coon? I bet Lee would have a little trouble too if he took the Bull's spot... At 125 I can think of 4 guys that would keep it to decision possibly, and one of them is graduating

No one, has anyone ever stuck their way through the NCAA tourney?

After his NCAA performance, it doesn't appear at the moment that Lee will have any close matches, but you still have to get through everyone again next season, and without any hiccups.
As far as anyone pinning their way through NCAAs (where have you been?), Bruce Kinseth at 150# in 1979 pinned his way through the Big Ten Tournament and then pinned his way through the NCAAs...... getting first period falls in the semis and finals. The last person to pin their way through the NCAA tournament prior to Kinseth was Gable 10 years earlier.

Wrestling as you know is about styles and Bresser style isnt gonna change.I dont think he beats Lee again but to think hes a non issue is far fetched.
Disagree, lee hadn’t even pulled the shirt. You talk about style, Lee has seen every style on the planet.
He summed it up when he said he gave Mater too much respect. You saw what happened when he didn’t give him the same respect.
Bresser can’t even beat Rivera.
Go watch the DiSpencers first match vs Welch and Rivera vs the second match. Bresser gets the same fate.
Lee is on a different level now with confidence and rehab of his knee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagboi
Rivera will never get near the podium again.
If the northwestern (wrestlingwildcat, or whatever) dude came on here and proclaimed the Rivera kid has zero chance of winning a national title next year at 125, then Spencer or no Spencer I am making a bet the kid wins 125 next year. The surest thing I have ever seen on a wrestling message board is anything that dude proclaims has 100 percent chance of being wrong.

Reactions: Pat_Pendleton
Barring injury , Lee won’t lose again in his college career. Imo
I have no idea if Spencer runs unscathed through the next 3 seasons. I suspect he will. What I do know is Suriano already has no offense to threaten Spencer and Suriano will continue to lose ground to Spencer.
133 is a better choice, but I believe his offensive skill set isn't going to enable him to beat the top 1 or 2 kids at 133 either.

Reactions: Dagboi
Boo to 157? I think JoJo Smith has seen his last days at 157. He struggled to make it in 2016/2017 and had gassing issues, was as high as 174 during redshirt. I think he goes 165 with Rogers to 174. Smith and Moore battle it out at 184. On the bottom end I think they are wise to go with Picc at 125 and Fix at 133. Picc can place top 4 at 125 but would be hard pressed to place at 133. Fix would be in the mix as legit to win 133.
They are gonna be damn good next year. Top 4, and I am calling for 3rd, behind Iowa and PSU and in front of Tanning Bed University.

ADVERTISEMENT