ADVERTISEMENT

Sustaining and Progressing

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
It was a GREAT weekend/tournament for the Hawkeyes. I think that's true in the confidence building of the team, the institutionalization of the coaching because the winning reinforces those teachings, the positive vibe for the fans and more.....

So, sustaining this level of play and progressing by improving on a regular basis is the challenge.

More of the good about this last weekends tournament is that the Hawks won and can still play much better. Every aspect of play can still be improved, and must to continue on the upward trend that players, coaches, and fans want to see.

It appears like there was a big jump from the exhibition and first two regular games to the tournament. After the first two games the defense, although showing signs of progress, was no where near what everyone wanted to see.......it took a significant step forward by last Thursday night. There was major improvement. Bobby Hansen, my favorite and I think very credible analyst, made the comment in the post game that "this team really came together this week" or something along those lines.

That progress from Nov 11 to Nov 15th was clearly obvious even to the average fan like me. I don't think that we can take that big of a leap every week.....but it certainly appears like the team is in sync with the coaching they are getting.

*Reduce turnovers.
*Tighten up the defense even more.
*Tweak the offense....get JB and Joe W on track along with Moss/Dailey etc..

So I think they sustain the momentum, I think they continue to progress.....as much as I HATE the BTN+ and next game, a team that they can roll on offensively might be just what they need?

Then when you have things shored up it's Pitt, Wisconsin, MSU, and ISU in fairly quick succession.

There's no guarantees.....these are still college kids and things could go south.

I heard/read some folks saying how Oregon is no good and UCONN is no good...whatever, UCONN beat UMKC by about twice the margin that we did...and we had UCONN down 25 in the second half where they clearly had a home crowd advantage. Oregon crushed a very talented Syracuse team with a lot of returning experience.

Live in the downer world if you want, but I don't choose to. I understand that there are negatives or possible negatives without being reminded by those that only see the negative.

Good post.

I agree that the encouraging thing is that despite the wins there is a lot for this team to improve on.

If this team continues to work hard and get better, they can have a successful season. Lots of experience, lots of scorers, and lots of shooters. Reduce unforced turnovers and continue to build on the defensive effort shown in New York and there's a lot to be optimistic about.

when JBo picked up those 2 early fouls, the way Connor stepped in and took control. that was huge, last year Fran didn't have that type of player to spell JBo.

these guys look to JBo and Connor to be the leaders of this seasons team. to me JBo is working his way into playing shape after that deep bone bruise, to win the Y2 Classic with JBo at full speed will only increase the players confidence.

now lets hope there is no let down in the Alabama St game.

Those games in NYC give me hope. Its dangerous in sports fandom, but now as a lifelong Iowa hoops fan who lost hope during last year I am back in the game. I don't have any expectations yet other than this team will compete hard each game and have a chance to win vs. good teams. A few more wins and I'll let myself start thinking its a tournament team. I look at those two wins in NYC and regardless of the competition (which I think was decent) it was pretty impressive to have control of each game from more/less start to finish without any super individual effort to carried them, just a solid team effort all the way through with multiple contributors.

The best outcome for the Alabama State game would be for Wieskamp to gain some confidence and have a big scoring game. He’s the guy who has the most potential to grow at this point in his development. There are certainly games this year where we’ll need him to shine.

Those games in NYC give me hope. Its dangerous in sports fandom, but now as a lifelong Iowa hoops fan who lost hope during last year I am back in the game. I don't have any expectations yet other than this team will compete hard each game and have a chance to win vs. good teams. A few more wins and I'll let myself start thinking its a tournament team. I look at those two wins in NYC and regardless of the competition (which I think was decent) it was pretty impressive to have control of each game from more/less start to finish without any super individual effort to carried them, just a solid team effort all the way through with multiple contributors.

I think most fans are where you are at. We all want deep tourney runs or whatever, but to get there some things have to be in place -- No. 1 being competing and playing hard every game. I saw that in NYC. Yes, there's more to winning than playing hard, but Iowa is not nearly talented enough to win without playing hard and unselfishly. Last year showed that.

Just keep up the effort, and however the season plays out I think most folks can deal with.

A few thoughts in reply:

I can't express how impressed I was with Connor. His level of intensity was so obvious. It didn't seem as though the games in New York City ever got to be more than he could manage.

I want to adopt Luka Garza. I've been praying for a post player like him for so long... That kid flat out has "it".

I think Joe Wieskamp is adjusting to the college game. Once he adapts to the speed of the game I'm sure he'll be just fine. It looks like he's a little frustrated right now. It's possible that he's having a bit of trouble finding himself in the style of offense that the Hawks run. It's hard to say for sure, but he has way too much talent to not find himself on the court.

Tyler Cook has got to let the game come to him a little more. What he's doing well is great. He seems to lose the handle on the ball more than I would like to see. Right now, it seems like he's trying to do too much.

Overall, I am happy with the way Jordan Bohannon is playing. Those two stupid fouls in the UConn game eliminated any chance he had to really establish himself in that game. Still, I'm confident he'll learn from that experience and establish himself moving forward.

J Bo will play better defense having someone to help at the point and give him a breather when he needs a blow. Once he’s healed I expect his efficiency to pick up, and if he’s not afraid to foul his defense should take a step forward. I don’t expect it to be elite.

My guess is Fran essentially told him to be ultra careful on fouls last year because if he sat for a long period it was basically game over.

At the same time that Cook was slapping the floor, the other Hawks were also totally engaged on defense. They had just scored, gotten 2 stops, were looking for a 3rd. They’re body language was Go ahead, bring it in here!

Reactions: perryhawk
Can't sustain or get better without a point guard and we haven't had one and currently don't have one.., slow white boys from Iowa are not good point guards sorry but that's just a fact
you mean like Horner? you are the biggest bigot on this board
by ESPN
JBo 4* pg
Connor 4* top 100 PG,
JBo last season was the ONLY PG in the last 25 years to post back to back 175+ assists and 85+ made 3's seasons.
its time for you to find another team.

Reactions: hooper56
Can't sustain or get better without a point guard and we haven't had one and currently don't have one.., slow white boys from Iowa are not good point guards sorry but that's just a fact

giphy.gif

this team has these for 4* players by ESPN
JR JBo just outside their top 100
JR Moss just outside their top 100 [playing only]
FR Joe top 100 #42 by Rivals
JR Cook top 40
SO Garza top 100
FR Connor top 100 [playing only]
its amazing how qwhen a player reach his 3rd year they are better prepared to be better.
Jok didn't do much till his JR year
Uthoff had his best season till his SR year
Connor and Joe have the luxory of having experienced player to play with, last season that team with 6 SO's and 2 FR didn't have that available to them.

Reactions: jasonrann
The talent is there compete. I have no doubt about that. There are some weakness and flaws and that is where good coaching will come in. Can they cover up the flaws and take advantage of the strengths? Last year hard lessons were taught by the opposition. Hopefully players and coaches learned and can apply the lessons learned.
The overall level of college basketball is not like it was 20-30 years ago...the best players are only there for a year or two and those players seem to be concentrated on only a handful of programs. Iowa isn't going to compete with the those teams. So if you don't have the top 25-50 type recruits, you can still be experienced, smart, and play hard. Iowa now has plenty of experience. The playing smart is coming and hopefully the playing hard is a constant. If that happens Iowa can have a great season.

Lol...

When on a missed shot we boxed out so well the ball actually hit the court in the middle of the lane before Wieskamp picked it up it brought a tear to my eye.

Seriously. Fran teams have never been much for boxing out. They've always just jumped for rebounds. Although Garza was already pretty good at it off the bat.

The talent is there compete. I have no doubt about that. There are some weakness and flaws and that is where good coaching will come in. Can they cover up the flaws and take advantage of the strengths? Last year hard lessons were taught by the opposition. Hopefully players and coaches learned and can apply the lessons learned.
The overall level of college basketball is not like it was 20-30 years ago...the best players are only there for a year or two and those players seem to be concentrated on only a handful of programs. Iowa isn't going to compete with the those teams. So if you don't have the top 25-50 type recruits, you can still be experienced, smart, and play hard. Iowa now has plenty of experience. The playing smart is coming and hopefully the playing hard is a constant. If that happens Iowa can have a great season.

To compete with those programs that pay their players like Duke and UK you need everything to come together perfect like it did for Wisconsin a few years back.

If Cook stays next year Iowa could be approaching a team like that.

Will give credit where it is due and sat that L.Wade has been touting C-Mac's game and he appears to be correct. I am not a CM detractor, just didn't know what he would be able to do this season given the expectations. Without his ability to drive and go north-south with the ball, I think we would have found a way to lose against UConn. The scoring he provided was an added bonus and he surprised me with his strong finishes after / through contact.

Reactions: RocknRollface
A few thoughts in reply:

I can't express how impressed I was with Connor. His level of intensity was so obvious. It didn't seem as though the games in New York City ever got to be more than he could manage.

I want to adopt Luka Garza. I've been praying for a post player like him for so long... That kid flat out has "it".

I think Joe Wieskamp is adjusting to the college game. Once he adapts to the speed of the game I'm sure he'll be just fine. It looks like he's a little frustrated right now. It's possible that he's having a bit of trouble finding himself in the style of offense that the Hawks run. It's hard to say for sure, but he has way too much talent to not find himself on the court.

Tyler Cook has got to let the game come to him a little more. What he's doing well is great. He seems to lose the handle on the ball more than I would like to see. Right now, it seems like he's trying to do too much.

Overall, I am happy with the way Jordan Bohannon is playing. Those two stupid fouls in the UConn game eliminated any chance he had to really establish himself in that game. Still, I'm confident he'll learn from that experience and establish himself moving forward.

Outside of fieldhousman's posts, there are a lot of posts to like in this thread...well done. Picked out zell's post above because I can't express enough either how impressed I was with Connor's play.

My goodness, he was tough and very good. The kind of outcome and play you want out of your PG in a big-time setting against big-time teams...took the damn home court advantage OFF the table for UConn ....boom. That's is what you need a good PG to do...away from the friendly confines. This excites me heading into conference play soon.

The kid's handles are very tight and very strong and he is physically big...like 6'4/5" inches tall, a big PG with a rip to him too which brings me to my other point...

You can tell this team has worked very hard during the off-season, in the weight room and just playing ball. Lead with Tyler (see point below) but Garza, Kreiner, Dailey, Connor, Moss, Pemsl and even JBo and Weiscamp for a true frosh all look physically stronger...wow, it's noticeable to me.

I had to laugh and really enjoyed Fran Fraschilla calling Tyler an LB playing basketball and how he is constantly attacking the basket....attack, attack....wow, try to stop him. Tyler is a special talent, he is playing with an attitude and like Hoop said, I too hope he keeps slapping the floor on the D end. He is our leader and he plays for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

This game is about matchups and when you are playing against players who are physically less, maybe not as tall across all 5 positions on the floor and not as talented and are a year or two behind in experience...big advantage Iowa.....

Early on...this is what I am seeing. And Pemsl is still on the bench too.

Will give credit where it is due and sat that L.Wade has been touting C-Mac's game and he appears to be correct. I am not a CM detractor, just didn't know what he would be able to do this season given the expectations. Without his ability to drive and go north-south with the ball, I think we would have found a way to lose against UConn. The scoring he provided was an added bonus and he surprised me with his strong finishes after / through contact.

Wieskamp will bring the same elements very soon too. Hes a better more athletic finisher.

Developing talent on a team that is hungry to improve and show they are better than their losing record last year. Getting C-Mac back has changed things drastically in the front court. Weiskamp playing well this year will also determine our altitude. Better effort on Defense and Garzas hustle are key. Alot of potential on the hardwood this year for Iowa.

Outside of fieldhousman's posts, there are a lot of posts to like in this thread...well done. Picked out zell's post above because I can't express enough either how impressed I was with Connor's play.

My goodness, he was tough and very good. The kind of outcome and play you want out of your PG in a big-time setting against big-time teams...took the damn home court advantage OFF the table for UConn ....boom. That's is what you need a good PG to do...away from the friendly confines. This excites me heading into conference play soon.

The kid's handles are very tight and very strong and he is physically big...like 6'4/5" inches tall, a big PG with a rip to him too which brings me to my other point...

You can tell this team has worked very hard during the off-season, in the weight room and just playing ball. Lead with Tyler (see point below) but Garza, Kreiner, Dailey, Connor, Moss, Pemsl and even JBo and Weiscamp for a true frosh all look physically stronger...wow, it's noticeable to me.

I had to laugh and really enjoyed Fran Fraschilla calling Tyler an LB playing basketball and how he is constantly attacking the basket....attack, attack....wow, try to stop him. Tyler is a special talent, he is playing with an attitude and like Hoop said, I too hope he keeps slapping the floor on the D end. He is our leader and he plays for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

This game is about matchups and when you are playing against players who are physically less, maybe not as tall across all 5 positions on the floor and not as talented and are a year or two behind in experience...big advantage Iowa.....

Early on...this is what I am seeing. And Pemsl is still on the bench too.

I have to admit I was extremely nervous when Jbo went out with the two early fouls against UConn. I love Connor’s game, but what I love the most is his intensity. He seems to have his dad’s fire and that can be contagious. Garza and Cook were doing some flexing and pumping after made shots too. I am hoping that carries through the season and translates to more success.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
I like the depth. CMac, Dailey, Baer, Kreiner is a really good bench.

I like that were switching a lot ball screens now.

Garza is the game breaker. He can score from anywhere. His jumpshot is quick and effortless.

More than anything i liked the edge we played with. Tough, confident, coming at you and competing every possesion.

I have to admit I was extremely nervous when Jbo went out with the two early fouls against UConn. I love Connor’s game, but what I love the most is his intensity. He seems to have his dad’s fire and that can be contagious. Garza and Cook were doing some flexing and pumping after made shots too. I am hoping that carries through the season and translates to more success.

Agree.....what did Fran F call it with Tyler, "those bulging eyes". the team is playing with the kind of attitude that Norm Van Lier would be very proud of. Let's hope the attitude continues.

I also like another thing Fran said during the broadcast...."you don't want to foul Connor. Do you know why??.......______________........coaches son." :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT