ADVERTISEMENT

Swarm NIL

skydog0784

HR All-American
Sep 11, 2013
Question for those in the know regarding the Swarm NIL...

Are we funded to the point we'll be competitive with the rest of the B1G / high-major programs beginning next year?

SIAP - I've seen references to that effect but not sure I heard that we're fully funded. TIA.

@Bishop1971 came up with the goods in the "Endless Humiliation" thread in case people are curious...

"Yes. I thought 10 million was the goal for the firsr year which is in a handful of months.we are short from what ive heard at least 5 million. But since proctor got his giant nil deal donations have picked up. Gary ie texashawk is the man concerning the swarm."

Thanks again Bishop, exactly the info I, and I presume others, are looking for...

@Bishop1971 came up with the goods in the "Endless Humiliation" thread in case people are curious...

"Yes. I thought 10 million was the goal for the firsr year which is in a handful of months.we are short from what ive heard at least 5 million. But since proctor got his giant nil deal donations have picked up. Gary ie texashawk is the man concerning the swarm."

Thanks again Bishop, exactly the info I, and I presume others, are looking for...
Thanks but just trying to remember what texashawk said as he is the man in the know. I just remembered a post of his as best i could. I just donate a small amount and leave it to the swarm to take care of it from there. My old lady set it up for me as a gift after hearing me talk about it for awhile.

Reactions: skydog0784
Thanks but just trying to remember what texashawk said as he is the man in the know. I just remembered a post of his as best i could. I just donate a small amount and leave it to the swarm to take care of it from there. My old lady set it up for me as a gift after hearing me talk about it for awhile.
Most excellent, any additional info from @texashawkeye87 or @TexasHawk-I (not sure which one) if they are so inclined is appreciated...

Reactions: Bishop1971
Most excellent, any additional info from @texashawkeye87 or @TexasHawk-I (not sure which one) if they are so inclined is appreciated...
Neither, it's Tx_Hawk who is in charge of the collective. Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll be hearing from him on this board anymore as he has moved over with the former Rivals staff.
I'll repeat what I've heard from him in radio/podcast interviews in recent weeks--he claims that the Swarm is behind OSU, but ahead of many other Big Ten schools including Michigan. Will that mean we are competitive in the portal/recruiting market this coming offseason? I sure hope so--we have been in football. I will say that other Big Ten schools have more rabid basketball fanbases that sink money exclusively into basketball--Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St. and Illinois being the prime examples. A former walk-on hoops player at MSU is a billionaire and is supposedly buying the Phoenix Suns here soon--notice how Izzo got a top 5 recruiting class after a few down years? It's because of this one guy is bankrolling the team essentially.
So my TLDR: we should be middle of the pack in hoops NIL in the conference. Just below the teams mentioned above OSU, MSU, Indiana, Maryland and Illinois but above just about every other team at the moment, though expect Michigan to catch up fast.

Neither, it's Tx_Hawk who is in charge of the collective. Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll be hearing from him on this board anymore as he has moved over with the former Rivals staff.
I'll repeat what I've heard from him in radio/podcast interviews in recent weeks--he claims that the Swarm is behind OSU, but ahead of many other Big Ten schools including Michigan. Will that mean we are competitive in the portal/recruiting market this coming offseason? I sure hope so--we have been in football. I will say that other Big Ten schools have more rabid basketball fanbases that sink money exclusively into basketball--Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St. and Illinois being the prime examples. A former walk-on hoops player at MSU is a billionaire and is supposedly buying the Phoenix Suns here soon--notice how Izzo got a top 5 recruiting class after a few down years? It's because of this one guy is bankrolling the team essentially.
So my TLDR: we should be middle of the pack in hoops NIL in the conference. Just below the teams mentioned above OSU, MSU, Indiana, Maryland and Illinois but above just about every other team at the moment, though expect Michigan to catch up fast.
More great info, Thanks HawkHoops80. Great to know...

This actually makes me feel better. It seems like we'll be competitive with the NIL dollars and at the end of the day; that will be a key, if not the key, criteria in securing solid recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
As an old fart who wonders what happened to the idea of "student athletes", I have no idea what the rules are for passing out NIL funds, or are there any?

Reactions: NAVO
As an old fart who wonders what happened to the idea of "student athletes", I have no idea what the rules are for passing out NIL funds, or are there any?
There really aren't any in reality, as the NCAA has not done anything, nor shown any inclination to enforce any rules around NIL.

What the current set up does stipulate is that the NIL cannot act on behalf of, or as a representative of, the university officially. That means a coach cannot tell a recruit "we guarantee that if you come here you will get XXX amount of money." What they can say is other players on our team have done well in NIL, you can talk to them. Through back-channels, the collective can then work with the player or their representatives to talk about what might be possible. Also according to the current rules, collectives can't just pay players for showing up on campus. The player must provide a good or service. But that service can be something like showing up to some photo session. The SWARM collective actually takes this part seriously and involves the players in opportunities to meet with fans and do charity activities.

In reality, players are being guaranteed $ for going to a school. Iowa appears to be trying to comply with the rules set forth. The sticking point and kerfuffle during the holiday was the leader of the SWARM collective was asking for similar support of the collective as OSU and Michigan administrations have been doing. OSU and Michigan AD's have been emailing their donors, encouraging them to support their own collectives. Also providing those collectives access to their donor lists. Iowa has been far less willing to share that information because of supposed Title IX concerns. I don't quite understand the Title IX fears by Iowa, I guess it could be construed that since the SWARM is going to spend a lot more money on football players and men's basketball players (because that is where fans want their money to go), that they can't be seen as officially supporting this.

My opinion is that this is a cover for the core issue, which is that in this new model the power of the fundraising and the donor relationship shifts from Iowa and the foundation to the collective. For Iowa to be successful in football (and if football isn't good, the entire department suffers), donors are going to need to spend less directly giving to Iowa and more to the collective to actually get players. There are many people employed in the athletic department and foundation making very good salaries based on owning that relationship with the donors. People are organizations don't just willingly give that up without direction from leadership. OSU and Michigan have decided that they are going to change and embrace this model of players getting compensated and make it easier for their collectives to access their donors. Iowa is not there yet, which is not surprising given Barta's history.

There really aren't any in reality, as the NCAA has not done anything, nor shown any inclination to enforce any rules around NIL.

What the current set up does stipulate is that the NIL cannot act on behalf of, or as a representative of, the university officially. That means a coach cannot tell a recruit "we guarantee that if you come here you will get XXX amount of money." What they can say is other players on our team have done well in NIL, you can talk to them. Through back-channels, the collective can then work with the player or their representatives to talk about what might be possible. Also according to the current rules, collectives can't just pay players for showing up on campus. The player must provide a good or service. But that service can be something like showing up to some photo session. The SWARM collective actually takes this part seriously and involves the players in opportunities to meet with fans and do charity activities.

In reality, players are being guaranteed $ for going to a school. Iowa appears to be trying to comply with the rules set forth. The sticking point and kerfuffle during the holiday was the leader of the SWARM collective was asking for similar support of the collective as OSU and Michigan administrations have been doing. OSU and Michigan AD's have been emailing their donors, encouraging them to support their own collectives. Also providing those collectives access to their donor lists. Iowa has been far less willing to share that information because of supposed Title IX concerns. I don't quite understand the Title IX fears by Iowa, I guess it could be construed that since the SWARM is going to spend a lot more money on football players and men's basketball players (because that is where fans want their money to go), that they can't be seen as officially supporting this.

My opinion is that this is a cover for the core issue, which is that in this new model the power of the fundraising and the donor relationship shifts from Iowa and the foundation to the collective. For Iowa to be successful in football (and if football isn't good, the entire department suffers), donors are going to need to spend less directly giving to Iowa and more to the collective to actually get players. There are many people employed in the athletic department and foundation making very good salaries based on owning that relationship with the donors. People are organizations don't just willingly give that up without direction from leadership. OSU and Michigan have decided that they are going to change and embrace this model of players getting compensated and make it easier for their collectives to access their donors. Iowa is not there yet, which is not surprising given Barta's history.
Thanks! I still don't like it!:confused:

Question for those in the know regarding the Swarm NIL...

Are we funded to the point we'll be competitive with the rest of the B1G / high-major programs beginning next year?

SIAP - I've seen references to that effect but not sure I heard that we're fully funded. TIA.

Fran's all in. Hopefully he can land somebody in the portal this spring.

NOTE: when you hit the play button below, it should be Fran talking; but instead, for some reason, it goes to IowaSwarm.com

ADVERTISEMENT