ADVERTISEMENT

sweeps and stretch plays to the short side of the field

KFsdisciple

HR Legend
Jul 3, 2003
I know you can't run everything to the wide side of the field every time on every play, but the side line is a 12th defender and I recall at least a few plays on Saturday night where we checked to the run, or maybe even just went with the play that was called and they were outside run plays to the short side.

Was I the only one seeing this or do you guys see it too?

The philosophy of course is that the defense will have fewer defenders at the boundary but our run game has become so predictable that it has become very easy to defend. Not yet a criticism of Brian but this is how Kirk wants the offense to look .

The stretch with zone blocking is about cutback lanes. The hope/strategy is that the defense will over pursue to the weak side and then you cut back and you guessed it, you gone.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
It is about math. When an offensive formation is balanced with two receivers to either side, and the defense responds by putting one to two more guys than you have to the wide side, ( which is a pretty standard adjustment in college football ) you would be stupid to go there. Woody Hayes said "don't try to take walled cities." That is sound advice. This game is still about blocking and tackling. I think that you will find that if you watch a recording of the game, the reason that plays do not work is down to execution, or the other guys just being better than your guys.

Reactions: hwk23
I know you can't run everything to the wide side of the field every time on every play, but the side line is a 12th defender and I recall at least a few plays on Saturday night where we checked to the run, or maybe even just went with the play that was called and they were outside run plays to the short side.

Was I the only one seeing this or do you guys see it too?

I saw that quite a bit during the game KF. It seemed like Nate audible's defaulted to short side stretch. I think there was a real tendency there and obviously the numbers didn't work. Trying to block five with four. I think both Nate and bf will certainly learn from that situation.

I just couldn't believe the amount of guys PSU was sending to the ball. On 1st and 2nd down they sent 8-9 guys. I mean there was opportunities for PA and we never ran it. Granted our field position wasn't the best, but at some point you have to take a shot. If you play in a phone booth, you end up losing. You have to at least take a shot or two.

Also our WR did have some bad drops in the 1st half. I think as the season goes along, you will see Iowa open up the playbook more. But dang PSU sent house on almost every 1st and 2nd down play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT