ADVERTISEMENT

T.J. Hockenson, Covid-19

Couldn't we all theoretically be in this boat? Yet the mortality rate is .034.

4.53 million positive and 154k deaths.

Odd.
and yet that is 3.4%, although there is no doubt it is considerably lower than that given many people who are positive likely are asymptomatic and/or go untested. Maybe I misunderstand but it seems you are saying 3.4% mortality is not a big deal, I would tend to disagree. Had it and didn't need hospitalization but was sick and over 60 and I can tell you a 3.4% mortality rate is not very comforting when you first find out you have it LOL

Yay only 150k dead while trying to minimize the number(well some of us)! Yay, nothing to see here
I honestly don't know the numbers from a national perspective, and maybe it's much different, but in Iowa our year over year number of deaths has been virtually unchanged despite being in the middle of a pandemic. My point is, people get sick an die. It sucks, I've had family members, including my mom die too young. But unfortunately, there is always something out there that can cause people to get sick and die, particularly if they have underlying conditions in the first place.

153,000 have died. There are 330,000,000 in the country. 4/100ths of 1%. (And many of those deaths were wrongly attributed to the virus.) Others can disagree, but I consider that to be the most important and telling of all statistics.

153,000 have died. There are 330,000,000 in the country. 4/100ths of 1%. (And many of those deaths were wrongly attributed to the virus.) Others can disagree, but I consider that to be the most important and telling of all statistics.
give it time...the statistics will change

and yet that is 3.4%, although there is no doubt it is considerably lower than that given many people who are positive likely are asymptomatic and/or go untested. Maybe I misunderstand but it seems you are saying 3.4% mortality is not a big deal, I would tend to disagree. Had it and didn't need hospitalization but was sick and over 60 and I can tell you a 3.4% mortality rate is not very comforting when you first find out you have it LOL
You didn't need hospitalized. I like a 96+% of survival every day of the year, and I don't live a crazy life by any means.
You should be ecstatic with those odds as you age, as should we all.

And what about the people who have it but it isn't what kills them yet that's listed as cause of death? Just ignore that, correct?

Mitigate your own damn risk.
My issue with self mitigation is that it relies far too much on others. We're in a unique situation that I won't get into here but it stinks not being able to take our son out very much knowing he ticks off most of the risk factor boxes and having to hope other people are also trying to prevent spreading it. Not necessarily directed at you, just a general reply.

That is not the mortality rate. JHC do some research. Suicides now eclipse Covid deaths but please ignore that and opioid deaths. Frickin sheep

Reactions: pahawk68
That is not the mortality rate. JHC do some research. Suicides now eclipse Covid deaths but please ignore that and opioid deaths. Frickin sheep
So since the government allows the streets to get filled with drugs, we should ignore covid too?

Ok

You are embarrassingly stupid.
Thank you JStandefer. Ignoring the fact the fatality rate is lower than 3.4% to state at 60 years old I should be ecstatic that my chance of death every day is only 4% seems a bit crazy. I am not a statistician and i am sure my analysis is vastly over-simplified because i am not sure if my chance of death each day is an independent event or you need to use some sort of repeated measures analysis but say I have a 4% chance of death each day, I think on average I should be dead in 25 days, of course with some variation around the mean. Goodboybobby may like those odds but I don't LOL.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious

JHC packer54 how about you do some research, or at least read my post. I was simply replying to goodboybobby who stated the mortality rate was 3.4% and he thought that wasn't really all that bad. I clearly stated that the death rate was actually lower than 3.4%, I don't think anyone knows what the actual death rate is because although we have decent estimates of death rates to due COVID (oh i know the data are lies, every death is reported as COVID etc. i have seen that research on my friends Facebook and twitter accounts) but we don't have good estimates of the rates of infection which is the denominator needed to determine the death rate, it is higher that what is reported, i don't know by how much. I have seen actual referred journal articles putting it at around 0.5 to 0.8%, lower but still troubling.

I don't really blame Trump, I am not sure there was any great way to respond, it is a virus that is easily transmissible and was unleased on a basically naive population from an immunological perspective. I don't think we can close down the economy forever, i am not a hide until a vaccine is developed type. It is a tough situation, i hope they have college football but think it will be without fans. I think kids need to go back to school.

I think suicide and opioid deaths are tragic also and we should do something to prevent them. Both of those are not the same as a virus that kills people. And yes most of the people that die are old and may have been going to die in the next year anyway, still sad. And it is easily the worst viral pathogen related epidemic since what.. probably polio. thank goodness it seems to have less effects on children. So long rant but i have done my research, and i was simply pointing out to goodboybobby that his thoughts seemed a bit odd and his mortality estimate was still high. If we want to blame someone how about the Chinese government who although they censor their peoples internet use etc. seem to be fine with wet-markets where live bats etc are sold for people to consume, they are located in large cities with dense human populations with generally poor sanitation. Many of the recent viruses MERS, the other SARS and now Sars-2 all came out of that type of environment and certainly more will come in the future.

Not saying you are but i hope you are not a believer that Bill Gates, Faucci and the WHO are behind all of this in an attempt to micro-chip us all. That is some crazy stuff and i have friends that truly believe this. I don't get all the Bill Gates hate. Here is what seems like an affable nice nerd who has spent billions of his money on eradicating disease and hunger throughout the world and people think he has some evil plan to chip us all LOL. I mean at 40 if i had many billions i may have spent it on hookers and blow. OK the rant has been paid. No offense I was just trying to correct some misinterpretation of what i had written.

It's 0.014 since June - 35,000 deaths from 2.5 million new cases

Reactions: iamia
My issue with self mitigation is that it relies far too much on others. We're in a unique situation that I won't get into here but it stinks not being able to take our son out very much knowing he ticks off most of the risk factor boxes and having to hope other people are also trying to prevent spreading it. Not necessarily directed at you, just a general reply.

Not sure it relies far too much on others. With personal choices you can minimize the risk to a high level.

It's 0.014 since June - 35,000 deaths from 2.5 million new cases

yes that is 1.4% and as i stated earlier it is likely lower than that, the actual number of infections is higher then the tests indicate. I have seen published guesstimates of 0.5 to 0.8 %. Will probably get lower as Dr.s learn more, just spreads so easily though and currently no vaccine and no immunity. I was simply replying to goodboybobby who put the number at 3.4%

Daily death rates will undoubtedly go down at some point when herd immunity is achieved thru a vaccine or a large segment of the population has been infected. Unfortunately it seems unlikely they will ever go to zero, will probably become more of a flu like situation in a few years.
So play ball then!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I honestly don't know the numbers from a national perspective, and maybe it's much different, but in Iowa our year over year number of deaths has been virtually unchanged despite being in the middle of a pandemic. My point is, people get sick an die. It sucks, I've had family members, including my mom die too young. But unfortunately, there is always something out there that can cause people to get sick and die, particularly if they have underlying conditions in the first place.
By this logic, we should disband public healthcare all together, since on a long enough timeline the mortality rate ends up being 100% no matter what is done (i.e. everyone dies eventually). You sound like a sociopath.

Daily death rates will undoubtedly go down at some point when herd immunity is achieved thru a vaccine or a large segment of the population has been infected. Unfortunately it seems unlikely they will ever go to zero, will probably become more of a flu like situation in a few years.
Thanks bozo.

97% of those getting this recover. Enuff said. Some people die from the flu, too.

97% of those getting this recover. Enuff said. Some people die from the flu, too.

Usually the worst flu is 30-60k a year....we are over 150k in 5 months.

But I’m sure you think people who are in a car accident are being reported as COVID-19 (despite that being complete fake news).

Usually the worst flu is 30-60k a year....we are over 150k in 5 months.

But I’m sure you think people who are in a car accident are being reported as COVID-19 (despite that being complete fake news).

You mean the quotes from the M.E. in Florida about the guy in the car accident were totally false?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT