ADVERTISEMENT

Take That Anti-Vaxxers

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland

Flu Vaccination Linked to 40% Reduced Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease​

·June 26, 2022

Summary: Older adults who received at least one flu vaccination were 40% less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease over the course of a four-year follow-up than their peers who did not receive a vaccine.

more here

SIAP

“We found that flu vaccination in older adults reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease for several years. The strength of this protective effect increased with the number of years that a person received an annual flu vaccine—in other words, the rate of developing Alzheimer’s was lowest among those who consistently received the flu vaccine every year,” said Bukhbinder....

Seems like this is true for others and not just the flu vaccine.

“Since there is evidence that several vaccines may protect from Alzheimer’s disease, we are thinking that it isn’t a specific effect of the flu vaccine," said Schulz.

Flu Vaccination Linked to 40% Reduced Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease​

·June 26, 2022

Summary: Older adults who received at least one flu vaccination were 40% less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease over the course of a four-year follow-up than their peers who did not receive a vaccine.

more here

SIAP
So, what, kind of like Ivermectin and Covid? Kind of maybe, there are plenty of things already available for one thing that could be very beneficial to other maladies

• Haha
Reactions: globalhawk
Regardless of anyone's opinions of vaccines I hope even the the hard-core deniers can appreciate what this means for understanding and defeating Alzheimer's.

Regardless of anyone's opinions of vaccines I hope even the the hard-core deniers can appreciate what this means for understanding and defeating Alzheimer's.
No offense but I wouldn't read too much into this causality. And I say this as a source of optimism. Lots of factors are at play besides the vaccine.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Personally, I believe that older adults intelligent enough to believe in the benefits of science and vaccines are also more likely to take care of their physical and mental health as they age. Thereby being less likely to succumb to Alzheimer’s vs. those that don't believe in science, vaccines, healthy living and instead sit in front of the TV all day taking in the latest reports of “fake news”.

I don’t think it’s the flu vaccine as much as the getting the flu vaccine is just an annual task of someone with a healthy lifestyle.

Personally, I believe that older adults intelligent enough to believe in the benefits of science and vaccines are also more likely to take care of their physical and mental health as they age. Thereby being less likely to succumb to Alzheimer’s vs. those that don't believe in science, vaccines, healthy living and instead sit in front of the TV all day taking in the latest reports of “fake news”.

I don’t think it’s the flu vaccine as much as the flu vaccine is just an annual part of someone with a healthy lifestyle.
You, sir, win the internet. Well put.

I don’t think it’s the flu vaccine as much as the flu vaccine is just an annual part of someone with a healthy lifestyle.
That's one of those things that studies are supposed to correct for, but don't always.

Here's what the original study says:

Covariate measurement​

For each covariate, the last measurement within the look-back period was used as the baseline value. Covariates included demographics, physical and psychiatric comorbidities, sustained use of medications potentially related to probability of influenza vaccination and/or incident AD (either directly as an effect of the medication or indirectly as an indicator of a relevant comorbidity), number of routine well visits during the look-back period, and total number of health care encounters during the look-back period (as a proxy for overall healthcare utilization rate); detailed variable definitions with relevant codes are provided in Supplementary Table 1. These specific covariates mirror those used in a recent study of influenza vaccination and dementia incidence in a US Veterans Affairs (VA) cohort [20]; use of similar covariates between that study and ours facilitated a comparison of findings.​

Statistical methods​

For the primary analysis, we estimated the average treatment effect in the treated (ATT) of flu vaccination on AD risk using propensity-score-matched cohorts. As a secondary analysis, we performed a time-to-event analysis using the unmatched sample. Table 1 and Fig. 2 provide an overview of the primary and secondary analyses. For each analysis, E-values for the point estimates and confidence intervals were computed to assess the magnitude of unmeasured confounding that would be necessary to fully explain the observed association between influenza vaccination and AD risk [28, 29]. Tests of statistical significance were two-tailed with α = 0.05. Python v3.8.8 (Python Software Foundation) with package ‘causalML’ v0.11.1 [30] was used for data processing and the primary analysis. R v3.5.1 (R Core Team, 2018) with package ‘cmprsk’ v2.2-7 [31] was used for the secondary analysis.​

If you want to drill deeper, here's the link

I don’t think it’s the flu vaccine as much as the getting the flu vaccine is just an annual task of someone with a healthy lifestyle.
Ehh maybe but while physical health is one thing there are not a whole lot of things that I know of that are directly associated with Alzheimers.

The only things I know of are essentially keeping an active mind by doing activities that require thinking such as puzzles and whatnot.

Ehh maybe but while physical health is one thing there are not a whole lot of things that I know of that are directly associated with Alzheimers.

The only things I know of are essentially keeping an active mind by doing activities that require thinking such as puzzles and whatnot.
I agree, that’s why I think it’s physical, mental and even emotional health (staying socially active). My parents are in their late 70’s and they do all of the above. But for the mental part, Lots of reading of books, and puzzles, crossword, sudoku, etc. in the AM over coffee. Still no guarantee, but odds are better then a sedentary lifestyle.

Without showing the mechanism of action I think there is way too much correlation here. Like mentioned above, people who get flu shots are likely more in-tune with their health and probably have less overall disease. Like the studies that say people that brush their teeth have less heart disease.

I agree, that’s why I think it’s physical, mental and even emotional health (staying socially active). My parents are in their late 70’s and they do all of the above. But for the mental part, Lots of reading of books, and puzzles, crossword, sudoku, etc. in the AM over coffee. Still no guarantee, but odds are better then a sedentary lifestyle.

I am worried about this because my grandfather had Alzheimers.

I am worried about this because my grandfather had Alzheimers.
It’s a terrible disease for sure. However, I think the good news is that if you stay socially active and exercise your minds as recommended, I believe the medical field will have better preventative medicines or even cures in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT